Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Dec 2009 at 1:48 AM
Default Bridges, I can't do it, can you?
I'm hoping to have my world completed by next week some time, however. I have yet to find a tutorial on how to create bridges, the bridge object cant have a road attached to it and if you try running a road over water, it sinks and attaches to the terrain which is below the water.

No tutorial No fun.
If you know how to do it i would love a bit of help, any would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 30th Dec 2009 at 2:03 AM
When you run the river over the water, if I remember correctly you need to use the grading tool to bring the road back up. I'm not to roads yet in my world but did experiment with it very briefly.

If you put in a real bridge, keep in mind that anyone without WA won't be able to play with your map.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Dec 2009 at 2:32 AM
thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.
Test Subject
#4 Old 30th Dec 2009 at 4:25 AM
Bridges and roads will connect. If you're using snap to grid, be aware that bridges are one tile wider than roads, so they will need to be moved half a square to line up. End the road a few squares short of the bridge, then use the move object tool to grab the road handle and drag it to the center of the end of the bridge. The handle should either turn light blue, or green, once they've connected.

With snap to grid, bridge is not centered:

Fix this by changing either the X or Z position by .5:

Then connect the road to the bridge:

Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Dec 2009 at 4:41 AM
Thank you very very much, i thought that i couldn't 'Place' the road onto the bridge very helpfull.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Dec 2009 at 4:56 AM
how would i go about putting multiple bridges along my terrain? I've got about 3 bridges worth of space to cover using bridges.
Test Subject
#7 Old 30th Dec 2009 at 5:49 AM
I haven't been able to find a way to connect bridges to each other; not sure if it can be done. What I've been doing in that situation is to build an island in the middle, and use a bridge on either side.

Like this:

On the height map for your world, one pixel is one grid square. So see how long the bridge you want to use is, and plan accordingly. For example, if you want to use the short chinese bridge, 21 squares long, you might make a 15 pixel wide river to go under it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th Dec 2009 at 5:51 AM
Bah! so this won't work?
Test Subject
#9 Old 30th Dec 2009 at 5:56 AM
It might? The only way to know for sure is to get it in game, plunk down a sim, and see if they can cross it.

I really wish they had provided better documentation for this program. This trial and error approach is driving me slightly batty.
Eminence Grise
#10 Old 30th Dec 2009 at 8:54 AM
Heh, welcome to official mod tools. This one actually has more official documentation than most of the others I've used Generally up to the players to provide the tuts and manuals.

Speaking of which, I see a lot of expertise developing among the early adopters here... hope there'll be some tuts coming out of this group!

And, deathoflight -- very interesting world :O Can't wait to see where you're going with THAT one!
Test Subject
#11 Old 30th Dec 2009 at 9:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
And, deathoflight -- very interesting world :O Can't wait to see where you're going with THAT one!

That would be "Test World 37: In which we learn about bridges, height maps, and alphas." I'm saving realism for the Test World 400 series.

Good old 37 should be my first fully functional map. I doubt it will be share quality, but maybe I'll throw together a post with my learnings when I'm done.