Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Dec 2012 at 2:50 PM Last edited by Amairani : 1st Nov 2019 at 5:33 PM.
Default Tutorial: How to change genetics after plastic surgery
Tutorial: how to change genetics after plastic surgery

This tutorial explains how to save changes you applied to your Sim's appearance through a plastic surgery and ensure Sim's children inherit those new genetics.

Genetics can be changed through:
- the Dr. Vu's Automatched Cosmetic Surgery station, which is a "The Sims 2 University" Career Reward Object and is rewarded in level 6 of the Show Business track.
- Sim Blender by TwoJeffs from SimBology
- ChristianLov's GussyUp closet Plug-In - I think there was such option included but I can't load the game right now to check.
Probably there are other mods that allow the genetics to be changed in-game.

I used SimPE ver. 0.73 for this tutorial, but as far as I remember there's not much difference in older versions.

1. Open SimPe, then open your Neighbourhood via Neighbourhood Browser.

Click on picture of your neighborhood and click Open. It might take up to one minute for the Neighborhood to load in SimPe, so you might need to wait.

2. Open the Sim Browser

3. Find the Sim that you put through the plastic surgery. By clicking on Name panel, all names get sorted alphabetically for easier search (Sims are listed by their first name) . Click Open.

4. Click on Plugin View tab to see Sim’s information panel .

5. Click on More and choose Open Character File.

6. Click on List tab. Under Resource Tree you will see Facial Structure. Click it and under Resourse List two Facial Structure lines will appear. If you see only one line, then it means plastic surgery hasn’t been done to chosen Sim.

7. Right click the second line and choose "Extract... "

Save the extracted file to somewhere you'll find it again easy, like to the Desktop. Two files will appear where you chose to save, a SIMPE file and XML file.

8. Right click the first line and choose "Replace... "

9. The IMPORTANT part! Out of two files, choose the SIMPE file, NOT the xml file.

10. Save the file.

That's all
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 8:58 PM
Thank you! Great tutorial
Test Subject
#3 Old 4th Oct 2014 at 2:39 PM
where do you download the other updated versions?
Test Subject
#4 Old 13th Dec 2015 at 4:22 AM
I don't get the option of the second file, even that i am certain i made a sucesful surgery (the Sim appears in the game as I made her). I don't have the "list" tab either as shown in your picture, Maybe I have another version of SimPE?
Test Subject
#5 Old 13th Dec 2015 at 7:07 PM
I think I have found a method to change facial structure, even if there is only one file on my surgery patient. I extract facial structure from the archetype sim and then go back and replace the one of the patient.

Will this only affect the facial structure, or will the skin type also be changed? If not, where can I find the file needed for at permanent change of skin type?

Thanks in advance.
Test Subject
#6 Old 22nd Apr 2016 at 5:16 AM Last edited by luvme17 : 23rd Apr 2016 at 3:41 AM.
At last!!! No more hideous Capp babies! Thanks a lot!

Edit: I have a question though. I have given several sims plastic surgery and I would love for them to pass it on to their children. Do I have to keep the extracted file for each and every sim that I edited? Or once I replaced it and saved the package file, I can delete the saved extracted file on my desktop? Thanks a lot!
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 7th May 2016 at 6:11 AM
Does this mean that you will replace the sims model?
Forum Resident
#8 Old 24th Jun 2016 at 7:53 AM Last edited by C.Syde65 : 24th Jun 2016 at 8:18 AM.
Thank you so much for this! It really helped a lot!
Test Subject
#9 Old 6th Jan 2017 at 2:46 AM
Thank you so much for this :D
Field Researcher
#10 Old 15th Mar 2017 at 4:01 AM
I have one question to make sure I'm doing it right! I go into the character file, and there are two lines and one says (1) and the other says (2). However, the (2) is above the (1). Maybe my default sorting is just different? Is the point to choose the one that says (2) or the one that is below the other one, even if that one says (1)?
Test Subject
#11 Old 1st May 2017 at 7:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kayleigh83
I have one question to make sure I'm doing it right! I go into the character file, and there are two lines and one says (1) and the other says (2). However, the (2) is above the (1). Maybe my default sorting is just different? Is the point to choose the one that says (2) or the one that is below the other one, even if that one says (1)?

That is correct, yes.
Instructor
#12 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 3:19 AM Last edited by Sonshine : 5th Nov 2017 at 7:38 PM.
I have a question about the "replace" action when right clicking on the file. When I right clicked on it, there was no "replace." What do I do? Here is a pic of my choices.

Never mind, I found out that my memory is very faulty. I found out how to do this.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#13 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 4:15 PM
It doesn't work for me. I reach the part where I click on Facial Structure, but I don't have the List option. I have Package, Plugin View, Details, Resource Actions. Has anyone experienced this? I'm literally stuck. I can't fix any of my sims and whenever I try to export them to BodyShop to package them, they appear with their facial structure before the surgery. I'm playing TS2UC, just in case anyone else is playing the UC and experiencing this issue? I really wanna have pretty babies in my game.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 11:20 PM
If your SimPE don't show the Resource List go to the Window Menu and activate it.
Test Subject
#15 Old 6th Feb 2018 at 9:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by clsve
If your SimPE don't show the Resource List go to the Window Menu and activate it.

I tried, but for some reason, it still doesn't show it. I'm gonna continue trying though.
Test Subject
#16 Old 6th Feb 2018 at 9:45 AM
I fixed it! Now my sims are gonna have prettier babies!
Field Researcher
#17 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 11:46 AM
So sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just cannot find the List tab/option in SimPE! Here's some pics of what my SimPE looks like... I've reset the layout and looked in the Window tab but I can't see it anywhere.
If anyone could help me I'd be so grateful!
Screenshots
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#18 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 12:26 PM
I am pretty sure what you want is the Resource List, which is what is shown in the top of your SimPE view.   I have no idea how they got List in that tab view, I've never seen it before.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 2:27 PM Last edited by ourladyplumbob : 1st Aug 2020 at 11:59 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
I am pretty sure what you want is the Resource List, which is what is shown in the top of your SimPE view.   I have no idea how they got List in that tab view, I've never seen it before.

Thanks for replying, glad it’s not just me! I can’t work out how to do the rest of the tutorial however, as I can’t get to the two different lines that you’re meant to extract and replace

Edit: Figured out what wasn't working for me. I had used the Alt Sim Surgery plugin to change my Sims' faces. I was under the impression the changes weren't genetic but they must have been, hence why I only had one line under 'Facial Structure' and couldn't follow the rest of the tutorial. This video helped me figure it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Oz82CSBXKU
Test Subject
#20 Old 2nd Aug 2020 at 6:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ourladyplumbob
So sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just cannot find the List tab/option in SimPE!!

Thank you for posting this! I was just about to follow this tutorial and found out I couldn't see the List tab as well and thought I have already screwed up SimPE somehow. Didn't know how to reset the layout up until now either.
So in case anyone runs into the same issue after messing with SimPE tabs like I did - here's what you want to do. Click Extra at the top menu - Options - SimPE options (should be the third one) - Reset layout (the middle option). That's how I was finally able to see what I meant to while following this tutorial. The tab names may slightly differ as I'm running SimPE in a language other than English but this explanation should be pretty clear.

Also huge thanks for telling about Alt Sim Surgery, that's super helpful! I will be using it so I don't have to go through all the steps of this guide with new sims because oh boy do I love fixing sims that were spawned before I installed some default face templates.
Test Subject
#21 Old 5th Sep 2020 at 1:05 AM
Hi when I click on the facial structure nothing happens also it's in blue, what do I do?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#22 Old 5th Sep 2020 at 1:30 AM
@Nerdy Simmer Tati Did you click on 'List' at the bottom of the page as shown in the image? Does it have the (2) after 'facial structure'?