Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 9:27 PM Last edited by hardonmachin : 5th Dec 2004 at 10:32 PM.
Yay! our profiles time setting adjusts the timestamps!

Grrr it's 1 minute behind my clock :P
Advertisement
The ViewMaster
#27 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 11:09 PM
Delphy,

I do agree with TLupus and Gonmag that having the 'new items' sorted by categories made it much easier to keep track of the various threads. There have been many occasions where I only had time to read a few posts. In those situations, it was nice to just skip past the chatbox section, the chit-chat, introduction, etc forums, and go straight to the 2 or 3 forums that I was most interested in.

Other than that, the new software is great!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#28 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 11:26 PM
Yeah I just tried it myself and it definately needs tweaking

I could probably get it sorted by forum id instead of datestamp which would help a lot.
Field Researcher
#29 Old 6th Dec 2004 at 2:23 AM
Default Sort by initial post date?
This new site is flying! I love it!!!!

The only thing I don't like as much is the download section, because it seems to be sorted by the last comment rather than the date of the file, which would be closer to the date of the initial post. That will make it *much* harder to be sure you've reviewed all the files in a specific category.

This is the same problem as we had in the old site in the beta testing forum; it has just spread to the regular downloading areas as well. One thing that would fix it is if you could sort postings by the initial post date. And for the download & beta testing forums, it would be great if this initial post date would get reset when the first post was edited. That way when the author uploaded a new version it would get pushed to the top, but it wouldn't get pushed to the top just because someone posted a comment.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#30 Old 6th Dec 2004 at 2:30 PM
Yeah I do need to look at the downloads and getting them sorted by thread date. I'm not sure exactly how much work would be involved.
Test Subject
#31 Old 6th Dec 2004 at 3:26 PM
Love the speed of the site. I like the abilty to log in and go. Not log in and get something from the fridge and cook, eat, and cleanup before the page changes. Thanks. Only I keep getting logged out and have to relog in? oh well. :confused:
#32 Old 6th Dec 2004 at 6:50 PM
You should have tried phpBB2. That is free. VBulletin is not. At least the wiki is still here.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#33 Old 6th Dec 2004 at 8:16 PM
I did actually look at phpBB2 quite extensively.

I have admin and hack experience on other boards so naturally I went with something that could be customised easily but above all was *fast* - the other site I admin easily has 300 people on at a time so I knew vBulletin could handle it.

Besides, it's done now - I just spent 4 days customising the style and the templates. Live with it
#34 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 6:39 PM
The wiki seems to have become slow again though.
Field Researcher
#35 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 9:25 PM
I love the new site. Just wanted you to know that you guys are doing a great job.
Test Subject
#36 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 3:31 AM
I like this site and I think "Delphy" is a cute nickname. Or real name... Ermm, you get what I mean. :D

... Can I name my sim delphy?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#37 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 9:34 AM
You wouldn't be the first lol

The wiki is actually slower becuase it has to do lots of funky stuff with mod_rewrite - it still generates pages fast though
Page 2 of 2