Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Apr 2018 at 12:27 AM Last edited by PlyPlay665 : 21st Apr 2018 at 2:39 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default [SOLVED] Can't Launch Base Game
Hi all. Once upon a time, I had pre-Ultimate Collection Sims 2 and all its expansion packs installed on my Windows 10 computer (game was installed pre-Windows 10, though). In January, every long-time gamer's worst nightmare happened: my harddrive went kaput. I had a backup of my Sims 2 documents, so all is well in that regard. However, I need to finish my project I started like 4+ years ago that involves the creation of a custom TS2 Base Game only neighborhood. So here is my situation:

I have the original TS2 Deluxe CD and I can install it and run the game in its normal state. However, when I try to use AnyGameStarter to play just the basegame, it throws me one of two errors. The first one is that I am running the wrong version of The Sims 2, and the other is that I do not have any DirectX 9.0c compatible drivers. The AGS log files say everything went fine, but here is the wording just to be safe:

I honestly don't know if TS2: Deluxe is compatible in that way with AGS, but I can't find any disclaimer saying it isn't, so I wouldn't see how it wouldn't be?

Either way, that's not the only way I have to play Sims 2. The way my game used to be installed was with my c. 2006 The Sims 2 Holiday Edition base game version. However, c. 2007 I lost the original CDs for the game. My dad had made copies of them, though, so I am able to install it. Before, when I had the extra EPs installed, I was able to use AGS and an ISO image that I had (I know that we're technically not allowed to talk about that kind of stuff, but please don't punish me). Now, with just the base game installed, it gives me the No CD error. I even tried to install another EP and use AGS and it still throws me an error. Same program, same ISO image.

I can't come up with a pointed question... all I can say is, help! If anyone has any pointers on what I can do to get a BG only game running, that would be excellent. I have Ultimate Collection but as you may know, AGS doesn't allow you to play just the base game with that.

EDIT: Turns out that I needed to separately install DirectX 9.0c. It is not automatically installed even if you install all the drivers for your graphics card. Sorry for being annoying.

I might one day finish my Zanes Hollow project, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Until then, you can see what I'm up to on my Simblr!
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#2 Old 21st Apr 2018 at 2:40 AM
I later found out that is seems to only randomly work.

I might one day finish my Zanes Hollow project, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Until then, you can see what I'm up to on my Simblr!