Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Apr 2020 at 9:49 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage
Default Sims 2 on Macbook Pro, help!
Hi, I would like to play The Sims 2 on my Macbook Pro, but I don't understand if my Mac has the requirements for that. Can someone help me understand? My Macbook Pro system information:
OS X Yosemite
Version 10.10.5
Macbook Pro 2014
Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5
memory 8 GB 1600 MHz
Graphics Intel Iris 1536 MB

I added a screen shot of the minimum requirements for the Sims 2 to run properly on a mac.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th Apr 2020 at 11:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ssimonyte
Hi, I would like to play The Sims 2 on my Macbook Pro, but I don't understand if my Mac has the requirements for that. Can someone help me understand? My Macbook Pro system information:
OS X Yosemite
Version 10.10.5
Macbook Pro 2014
Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5
memory 8 GB 1600 MHz
Graphics Intel Iris 1536 MB

I added a screen shot of the minimum requirements for the Sims 2 to run properly on a mac.

You want the help board https://www.modthesims.info/f/31/
I think it looks okay?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#3 Old 30th Apr 2020 at 11:45 PM
Yosemite is lower than Sierra so that wouldn't be enough for the 64-bit Super Collection. I'm not sure about the graphics card. However, if you really want to play on the laptop without upgrading to Sierra, you could track down the used game disks and install those. I play all the expansions available to the Mac on an iMac desktop computer running Snow Leopard (10.4), one step down from Yosemite, and the game runs fine with that old version of MacOS.

@lordtyger, anything you could add?
Field Researcher
#4 Old 1st May 2020 at 12:14 AM
Your Macbook goes well over minimum requirements, so Super Collection should run fine as it was optimized specifically for Macs. But you will need to upgrade to at least macOS Sierra to play it.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 2nd May 2020 at 5:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMposiast
Yosemite is lower than Sierra so that wouldn't be enough for the 64-bit Super Collection. I'm not sure about the graphics card. However, if you really want to play on the laptop without upgrading to Sierra, you could track down the used game disks and install those. I play all the expansions available to the Mac on an iMac desktop computer running Snow Leopard (10.4), one step down from Yosemite, and the game runs fine with that old version of MacOS.

@lordtyger, anything you could add?

@ssimonyte

Well I happen to have the disks and they ran fine on my iMac when I had Snow Leopard, when I upgraded to El Capitan I switched to the 32 bit Super Collection and it runs fine. I had to incease the Maximum Open File Limit Number a couple of times, but that is because I have a fair amount of mods and other CC.

So if the OP wants to keep the OS they have they would need the disks I think or they would have to upgrade to Catalina. Not sure that their laptop would run Catalina that well being that it is older, I do think you have enough RAM though, so you might be able to upgrade. Personally I advise the disks as that is what I would try.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 2nd May 2020 at 12:13 PM Last edited by muridae : 2nd May 2020 at 1:29 PM.
The disk version doesn’t work from Lion onwards (10.7), as it was written for PowerPC processors and needed Rosetta for the translation to Intel, which was dropped after Snow Leopard.

The OS version requirement has been raised to a minimum of 10.12.6 (Sierra) with the release of the 64-bit version of Sims 2 Super Collection in January this year. The original release supported everything from Mavericks (10.9) onwards.

So your best bet would be to upgrade to at least Sierra (which doesn’t have the skintone bug seen at High Sierra and above), which would allow you to use the current 64-bit version. It’s not obviously available on the Mac App Store, which will only offer you Catalina, but you can go to the Apple site and down load older versions from the support pages.

Looks like you have integrated graphics, but from a 2014 machine they should be okay. I’m successfully running the game on a 2013 Macbook Air, though I don’t do marathon playing sessions as it will run a bit hot.