Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th May 2018 at 6:35 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Late Night
Default ¿Is it neccesary to update Expansion & Stuff Packs?
Hello, i have a question. I have installed a physical copy of The Sims 3, i updated it to version 1.67.2 with the superpatch. The question is: I have both High-End Loft Stuff and Late Night expansion packs, but they are on v3.0.38 and v6.0.81 when the latest version of those EPs are v3.13.1 and v6.5.1. I found the installers in this page, but are they neccesary?
Advertisement
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#2 Old 10th May 2018 at 7:50 PM
According to the official instructions by EA it is not necessary to update EPs.

Some people here, however, advise to still do it.

I didn't and I haven't encountered any problems, but I don't know whether updating the EPs separately makes any difference. The old patches are still here because in the past it was indeed necessary to update them individually but EA changed the patching process sometime around Generations and now all updates go into the base game and affect all EPs. So, people who play with older patch versions may still need the EP patches. But you don't if you are on 1.67.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th May 2018 at 7:57 PM
I'm on base game v1.67.2 but on Late Night v6.0.81, while the latest is v6.5.1. Late Night was released before Generations, so, i need to update it, right?
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#4 Old 10th May 2018 at 8:42 PM
No, the EP version doesn't matter anymore. For Generations EA changed how the game runs. Before that you had to launch your game from the last EP but this was replaced by ts3w.exe, which is the "new" base game that contains all EP stuff and the EP exes are now redundant. All patches since then (and that includes 1.67) only patch ts3w.exe. (That's also why they are so big now). You can patch the EP but I think that it doesn't have any effect because the engine reads ts3w.exe anyway and doesn't look into whatever an EP patch did to the EP data.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th May 2018 at 1:47 AM
Yes, you are right. I updated the packs to their respective versions (3.13.1 and 6.5.1) but i didn't see any change. And while the patches were installing the patched file was TS3.exe and not TS3W.exe, so, yes, it's not needed. Thanks for answering!