Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 12:53 PM
Default CAW: How to resize big world to small one
Hi guys, I need advice about world resizing...I have a world that I would like to edit - to remove certain areas and in overall make world much smaller than it is now. So I'm interested if it is possible and how to do this? How to remove certain parts? And how to resize world then?

This is the world I would like to edit and resize:
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 2:28 PM
If you haven't done that much, you could use the heightmaps perhaps.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 2:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
If you haven't done that much, you could use the heightmaps perhaps.

So...I could import bigger world to small-medium heightmap?
Field Researcher
#4 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 4:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nemiga
So...I could import bigger world to small-medium heightmap?

You can export the height map and resize it to the medium size. HOWEVER. If you have any areas that are carefully sculpted they might not translate correctly when resized. For example, I did this at one point on a world where I had very sharp shelves in the landscape, and they turned into soft hills.

But if you don't have anything like that it's a great idea. If you don't like the results, you could just sink all of that land into the ocean by lowering the terrain, but then you'd have a large amount of world water.

You will need to make a new world to do this, so you'd need to re-do landscaping and terrain painting on your new world.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 6:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LemonyLin
You can export the height map and resize it to the medium size.

And how to resize it? I will say honestly, I'm not very familiar with CAW, so I need more details how to do certain actions
dodgy builder
#6 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 8:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nemiga
And how to resize it? I will say honestly, I'm not very familiar with CAW, so I need more details how to do certain actions

A heightmap is just a black and white picture. You can do whatever you want in Photoshop, or you an just cut it and put on top of a heightmap for your smaller world. It's a very long time since I did it I don't really remember. I know about one problem though. If you use a new doc to put it on for some reason it will look all strange in caw. I used the heighmaps from caw all the time, because I never found out why it ended up looking so weird. Others has commented on the same.

Heightmaps is a button in caw. Export and import.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 9:12 PM
You won't be able to just cut off the parts you don't want and have the remaining world as it is now. What you can do is to export height map and the paint layer maps, crop them in an image editor to the size you want and import them to a new world with the size of your choice. You will lose all decoration and lots and roads though and can only save the terrain.

So an easier way would be as LemonyLin suggested, keep the world size, but remove all objects, lots, roads and decorations from the parts you don't want and lower the ground so that it's underwater.
dodgy builder
#8 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 9:22 PM
If you have worked a lot on the terrain, mountains etc and don't really care about the rest, making a new smaller world and import the heightmap is the solution you need. Otherwise do as Norn and LemonyLin says.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 11th Aug 2019 at 12:06 AM
To me the easiest would be to leave the size as is and just flatten away the areas you do not want at the ocean level. Then there is still room for expansion later if wanted. Or if you want just one smallish island IMO it might just be easier to start over. Again as said, depending on how much you have done in that area and in the unwanted ones.
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Aug 2019 at 8:19 PM
Thanks guys Now I will try what I can do with all info I get .I hope it will work