Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#76 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 7:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fragglerocks
I just wanted to say that I love the house you entered!

The next round should be easier, because A.We know we have more time (almost a week and a half) and B.Hopefully we will have the comments from the judges to help us improve our lots.

But seriously, that house...beautiful!

Do you think we'll receive comments on our lots from the judges? I never really thought of that. I figured we'd just get the score and that's it.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#77 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 7:22 AM
If I was a judge I dont think I could be bothered commenting on a hundred and ten millions houses (I know exadruation max)(( most likly spelt wrong too hahaha)) Im happy to take what I am given. But that is why I am doing this too so I can improve...
Yay exciting I hope to see more peoples homes in here who missed the cut and also join in all the rounds
Instructor
#78 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 7:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LifesLover
Do you think we'll receive comments on our lots from the judges? I never really thought of that. I figured we'd just get the score and that's it.

On page one of the contest I believe that HP mentions somewhere to PM her if you want to see judges comments after each round. But as the previous poster mentioned, there may not be any. That's why I said "hopefully". If I get a low score, I would really like to know what I did wrong. I also wouldn't mind a comment or two on what I did right. Boost my ego a bit.
The other one
#79 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 7:31 AM
Thanks for the comments guys

I remember that comment on the first thread too. I think that was the original plan but they might not give comments now because there's so many to do...though I have no idea how many judges there are. I guess if there's a lot of them and they split the entries between them we might get comments. Fingers crossed

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Forum Resident
#80 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 7:43 AM
Hrm, I don't remember that comment. I guess I must not have read it as closely as I thought I had. Or maybe my memory is just that horrible. But it'd be great if they could do something like that, in order to help improve. Again, though, just doing it alone is bound to help me improve.
Field Researcher
#81 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 7:55 AM
Well, I know that it's hard work (70 entries.. gulp ), but I really love to have some comments from the judges.
Comments can help to improve building (and decorating, of course) skills.

Please, sorry for my bad English..
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#82 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 7:59 AM
I'll encourage the judges to offer comments as much as possible, but I can't guarantee anything. With so many contestants, there may not be comments - or very long comments, but we shall see. I'll be sending the judges their judging sheets within the next couple hours.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
#83 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 8:49 AM
Hi all,
I was wondering, will accessability and playability of the house be taken into consideration?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#84 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 8:54 AM
It's not an absolute requirement - though if a house is playable, that'd be a bit of an "over and above" kind of extra good thing.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Forum Resident
#85 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 9:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LifesLover
Yeah, I know I can, but I've never been very good at the outside decorating in the first place. I tried to do more, and in the end I just made it worse, so I decided to stop while I was ahead.

I couldn't find anything wrong with your pics either lol I am in the same boat as you though lol maybe we could hold eachothers hand hahaha

And HP I am sure we ALL understand the position your in and I think its awsome that you made it 70...kudos to you and good luck with judging lol Im exausted just thinking about it haha

and while I am at it I just seen the new foundation, thinking about what I am doing to do with it haha... I have no idea lol eeek!!
Test Subject
#86 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 11:00 AM
hi there, am I allowed to place friezes above the already existing foundations? I'm not adding any livable space. thanks!
Inventor
#87 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 11:32 AM
Thats what i came here to ask to.I wonder if it will be against the rules because its a foundation....
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
#88 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 12:03 PM Last edited by jhd1189 : 21st Jul 2010 at 4:46 AM. Reason: Please do not upload lots to this thread
Default Caliverti Castle by Simmiller
First, thank you suzetter for your nice comment :-) You made my day brighter!

Well, I didn't get my entry in on time, and now I can't participate (not to mention thought it was a challenge and not a contest, but that's my own ignorance), but I am allowed to show you my original work. So here it is:

A little earlier on in history, England and France were at war. Admiral Jonathan Taylor, from the British Navy, decided after the war that he would like to live in France. He chose a quiet little village, Ville des Sims, brought over his wife and 2 boys, and built a modest castle of 4 floors, and called it Meridith Manor after his wife. You'll see the Caliverti connection in a moment :-)

Atop the 4th floor there is a small tower that leads onto 2 outdoor patio areas. Here, Admiral Taylor played chess with his wife and sons, enjoying the challenge and building the foundation of his family. His wife, Meridith, especially enjoyed the quiet and seclusion while gazing at the stars through their telescope. The entire family also passed the time leisurely increasing their skill in painting, and all on the 4th floor patios.

The family slept quietly on the 3rd floor which held a master bedroom and the boys' room, and a full bathroom complete with clawfoot bathtub and separate shower.

On the 2nd floor, the Taylor's danced, and the boys hung out with their friends. During the downtime, Admiral Taylor sketched, increasing his skill in architecture, with which he hoped to make extra money for his family, which of course wasn't necessary due to his lavish military pension.

Finally, the main floor of the house, saw the most activity. There was cooking in the kitchen, eating in the dining room, and reading and sipping drinks in the living room.

Meridith tried her hand at building a garden, but was, unfortunately unsuccessful, with her head stuck in the clouds.

Well, this was a very long time ago, and after the boys married and had children of their own, there were only daughters to carry on the legacy. One daughter, Evanjeline, who inherited the castle after the death of her parents, married a wealthy, savvy Italian businessman named Hugo Caliverti. Fortunately, Hugo decided to maintain much of the castle as it was, but updated the "garden" to a small orchard, which flourished and brought the family many years of riches. Everyone from around Ville des Sims became familiar with Hugo Caliverti, so the family decided to rename the castle to Caliverti Castle.

Today, Marcus Caliverti, a great-great-great-grandson of Admiral Taylor, owns the castle and has modernized it, maintaining, however, the feel and function of each floor. He has now decided he wants to live in the city. Sacrilege! However, he has the right, and so he wishes to sell to YOU!

Enjoy Caliverti Castle and all the wonders it has to bring to you and your small family.

-Sorry for the novel, but I couldn't help myself! Too much fun :-) -

I hope your Sims love living here, and may their dreams come true in Caliverti Castle.
Test Subject
#89 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 12:04 PM
well, in my first attempt I'm using the friezes-like things inside my house, to make a mid-level. is it ok? answer please, can't wait! =P
Lab Assistant
#90 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 12:15 PM
Default Contest-Victorian-No CC
Cassie and Dan finally were able to afford their dream home. A turn-of-the-century Victorian. They knew it wasn't perfect...not all of the rooms had been remodeled, but Cassie agreed to move in before all the renovations were complete as long as they could update at least one bathroom first. So they converted the very large butler's pantry into a laundry room and added a brand new bathroom on the first floor. Cassie is hoping she can talk Dan into demo-ing their kitchen next as it hasn't been updated since the 1950's...holy tacky linoleum!

I was too slow for the contest so I am posting my house here...hope you like it! There are some amazing entries.
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
#91 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 12:27 PM
burningglare, your house is very pretty :-) I like
The other one
#92 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 12:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
And we'll be doing another official contest very soon - and now we'll have a whole bunch of people who will have successfully participated in a contest, and can host their own unofficial contests. So you may not have been able to get in on this one, but there will be plenty of other chances in future to participate!

Woohoo! This excites me no end I can't beleive I totally forgot about those rules until now.

At the end of last year when I first discovered contests I tried so hard to get myself eligable to host but there was no more TS3 contests to be part of. I ended up volunteering to emergency judge a bunch of TS2 contests only to find out later that that didn't count and when I became a fully fledged judge the contest got binned by the host after a couple of rounds....I was beginning to think I was a jinx to contests so I gave up

Well so long as I make it through to the end without jinxing it for myself again I might have to revisit some of my old contest ideas...though who knows when I'll get time to host one now

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Scholar
#93 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 2:35 PM
Oh, Gawd, the round closed for judging, the second round came up and an entry got posted all between when I went to bed at midnight and woke up at eight! Feeling the pinch, even WITH the extra time...

Damn, and I had a new Sims 2 challenge family I wanted to start today. Oh, well, contest first.
Top Secret Researcher
#94 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 2:47 PM
I just realised I misspelled 'deadline' into 'headline' on my entry

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Inventor
#95 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 2:52 PM
I so hate that I don't have internet at home at the moment. It would have been nice to keep up with things. lol I signed on this morning and then see the contest caught like wild fire. 70 entries. Wow.

The Simmer formerly known as Greenlea
Test Subject
#96 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 2:56 PM
I didn't do the first one because I thought each round was an individual contest and I didn't like what I did with that first foundation and now I'm sad.
Lab Assistant
#97 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 4:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simmiller
burningglare, your house is very pretty :-) I like

Thank you very much Simmiller!

**Simmiller-I just read your story and looked at your castle...love them both. Very interesting. I noticed you have a .rar file with your your castle...are we allowed to do that here? Or did you submit it through the normal channels first? I would like to share...that is why I am asking.
Anyway, thanks for sharing yours.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#98 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 4:55 PM
RandomArt - You can still participate via the chat thread!

burningglare - If you want to share your house, best to do that by the regular upload channels - or if you want to upload it somewhere else, that's fine too.

Scholar
#99 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 5:31 PM
Well, damn, I misread the rules and can't submit this house for the second round - wait a second while my idea lightbulb flickers.... :

Okay, this is the original house I was going to enter into Round 2. I called it A Man's House. It's a beachfront, 1-bed, 1-bath house, perfectly for a bachelor or a retired couple. (Using collages since this isn't an official entry and I have a truckload of screenshots)

(Street view and backyard)

The real-estate fanatics of Sunset Valley have never been able to figure out what the purpose of the small water-enclosed tower in the front yard is. Currently, the theory is that the original builder meant for it to become a sentry station for the castle that never was.

Floor plan, plus the picture I took to prove I hadn't been messing with the foundation - and then realized when I went to upload the pictures that overhanging tiles were strongly discouraged.

And just because I think it's pretty awesome, and I'm feeling pretty damn proud of myself, this is the view from the sunroom in the back (as seen from a Sim's eye while lounging )
Forum Resident
#100 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 5:35 PM
That is an awesome view. I wish I had that kind of view. It looks great, it's too bad you couldn't use it. But at least this way you get to make another!

Page 4 of 39