Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Nov 2012 at 8:40 PM
Default Multi-story pool with windows
Hi everyone, this is my first post!

To make a long story short, I need help with a pool that I am constructing. It's a little complicated to explain so I've taken some pictures.

http://i.imgur.com/I8MJf.jpg?1

This is the view from ground level. I'm trying to construct the walls of the pool around the basement with windows. I have testingcheats, moveobjects, and constrainfloorelevation all turned on. When I place the pool, it lowers the edges of the pool around the windows so I have to level the pool floor down an extra level, but when I do this the right side of the pool lowers as well.

http://i.imgur.com/uIbju.jpg?1

Does anyone know how I can prevent this from happening?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 9th Nov 2012 at 5:09 AM
I think I understand what you're attempting. You should check out some of the Pool Tutorials. This one should help.

Funky things begin to happen when using CFE on pools. I tried creating infinity pools by raising the water level up to the edge of the glass fence from the base game. I surrounded the pool on all four sides and was able to raise the water level throughout most of the pool, but the water dipped back down along two adjacent sides. You are only surrounding your pool on three sides, but I'd bet that if you tried to completely surround it, you'd get distortion on the forth wall as well. I had some control with where the distortion took place based on how the lot was oriented in the neighbourhood, but eventually gave up.

If you do manage to get the pool the way you like it, immediately save your work and test it out with a Sim. You may find that "multi-level" pools cause strange animations as the Sim attempts to find the right "depth" within the pool. If you pass that test, the next thing you should do is save your lot to your Library and place it in different lots in different orientations in different neighbourhoods to make sure that the water level doesn't distort afterwards. Otherwise, you might waste a lot of time building a finished lot that borks when installed.

"All right, now listen. We've got a blind date with destiny, and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
dodgy builder
#3 Old 9th Nov 2012 at 7:12 PM
The pool tool is a nightmare. I had success with just using the hammer on a flat tile somewhere in the pool, it may only work on a regular sized part of the pool though. Otherwise I agree with Shoveler, test it ingame. I had a nasty bug with a sim swimming on tiles, that was the infinity pool.
mature minion
retired moderator
#4 Old 12th Nov 2012 at 9:19 AM Last edited by Tee Hee Hee : 12th Nov 2012 at 11:44 AM.
Unfortunately sims really don't like pools being any height other than one regular (non-foundation) height wall as the shoveler has said.

The problem you're getting is because you've not really built the pool over multiple floors. It is all on the same level with the top of the pool at ground height. Where the windows are you have lowered the level of the ground and so the pool has to dip down below it, when you alter the height of the ground at the pool surface will also follow. Its a tricky problem. I think you might have more success if you create the pool from the first floor and have to cover the slope in the ground created rather than having to cover up sloping bodies of water.

The only way I know to do truely multi-story pools is by removing ground tiles and having a basement continue below like this example I made to demonstrate:

I've used obvious colour changes between the basement (green wall) and the pool that is between the first floor and ground level (blue tiles). The floor visible at the bottom of the pool is the basement floor.

Hope this is the sort of solution you were looking for!