Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Oct 2010 at 10:56 PM
Default help with diagonal roof
I'm not finding what I need in the tutorials, so would be very grateful if someone could tell me how to do this or point me to an existing tutorial. I am struggling with the part of the roof that goes over the porch. I try to place the diagonal roof and blend it with the roof pieces that are straight, but it looks terrible with corners poking out all over the place.

This is what I'm trying to accomplish:

I know it isn't going to be exact but really need some help making that porch roof look somewhat close.

Thanks!

kittens!
Advertisement
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#2 Old 4th Oct 2010 at 5:52 AM
The problem is, that with that round room/tower, you are forced to use diagonal roof at the corner, and it WILL cut out and look bad, no matter what. You could make the roof by not using diagonal walls at all, though in that case it would cut a little inside that tower room.

The question is, which one bothers you more, the cuts outside, or a little bit of roof inside the room, that is only visible to outside in pictures taken from players view.

You can make neat porch roofs when the walls next to the roof are straight.

Also, a picture of how you have made the house would help on planning the roof, since now we can only guess what the sims version might look like.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Oct 2010 at 11:56 AM
Yes, I should have mentioned how I built it. I just went with a diagonal foundation where the porch rounds off, so after the stairs it's like 2 tiles straight, 2 tiles diagonal and 2 tiles straight back to connect to the house.

I'm not worried if the roof goes into the tower so if there is a way to make it look good without using diagonal roof at all, I'll do that.

I'll try to post a picture later if you still need it.

kittens!
Instructor
#4 Old 4th Oct 2010 at 2:47 PM
So I made a quickie, which, after only glancing at the picture and not really consulting it whilst building, looks nothing like that house. :/ But the concept should be similar. I used the octagonal roof, lower in pitch quite a bit, and it's kinda connected to a hipped roof that's over the front door. Hope that helps stir up some thoughts, at least.
Screenshots
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Oct 2010 at 3:05 PM
Oh, that's a good idea! I'll try it out when it get home and have a minute to work on it. Thank you! :D

kittens!
Instructor
#6 Old 4th Oct 2010 at 3:22 PM
Played around again, this time I moved the tower part out one more tile. I also used a half gable roof over the front door, instead of the hipped. It results in a cleaner line at the bottom of the roof. Still not the cleanest lines where the roof meets the tower, kinda bumpy.

:D
Screenshots
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Oct 2010 at 12:11 AM Last edited by wickedblue : 5th Oct 2010 at 12:29 AM.
How big is your octagonal roof? I can't seem to make this look right.

On an entirely unrelated note, did you notice that your house looks like it's making a face? :D

Update: Nevermind, I think I finally got it. Or at least close enough. If my perfectionist tendencies don't go into overdrive and make me scrap the whole project, that is.

Just wanted to say thanks for your help. You really went above and beyond, building a house just to show me what to do.

kittens!