Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 9:33 PM
Which mesh is which?
I finally figured out how to make a working mesh , and I wanted to upload one of my outfits. The only problem is, with all the messing around with meshes I did yesterday, I can't figure out which mesh I used by the filename alone!

Is there a way in SimPE to open up your SavedSims texture and have it tell you which mesh it goes with? If so, where do I look? I've poked around in SimPE and I can't find any place that references the mesh (it must be there somewhere!). This would be good to know for future reference, too. I can imagine it gets difficult to keep things straight when you have a whole bunch of meshes hanging around.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 1:18 AM
If you have installed (or already had installed) the Microsoft Managed DirectX package 2.0, you can use the preview button in the GMDC plugin to view the mesh that is inside any .package file you open with it.

I don't have a link handy, but google should point you in the right location to add in the proper package if you need it.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 1:42 AM
Thanks.

I tried what you suggested, but I'm still a little confused. I have a number of versions of the same mesh (I'm a beginner and things weren't going so well), and some of them look very similar. I think I know which one I need, but I was just wondering (for future reference) if there's some sort of number that shows up in SimPE in the recolour file that tells the game which mesh to use.
Alchemist
#4 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 2:27 AM
If the GMDC files have the same name, then after they are loaded, no, they all look the same except for appearance, afce count and vertex count.

But, Windows will set the date and time for each file you saved to the time of the last save, from MilkShaper, Blender or whatever. You can use this feature from the file open dialog box when you use add, replace or import to put your mesh into your package (detail of use vary slightly between Windows XP, 2000 and Vista).

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 6:25 PM
Okay, thanks. I'll have to be more careful in the future, I guess, and make sure I label things more clearly (and make note of the time!).
Not actually evil.
#6 Old 4th Jul 2008 at 1:29 AM
Every time I made a change to a mesh, I save it with a new version number in the name. So I have topLongSweater, topLongSweater2, topLongSweater2b, topLongSweater3, etc.

You can also look at the modified date on your files. IF you did not go back and alter and old version, then the newest version should be the one with the latest modify date. If you have windows, you go to the View menu in a window and select Details, then you can see the modified date for your files.

On the upside, pat yourself on the back for saving multiple versions. Many folks don't make backups, then cry when they accidentally break their only copy. That's not fun.

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes