Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Firestarter
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Oct 2004 at 5:17 PM
Default [moved] The Alienware PC recolor
I haven't had any time to check this out, so can someone please start working on this? We need to figure out exactly how this was recolored. Did they just extract the pic and put it back in? And did they change the GUID/OBJD to make the game treat it as a new file? If we can figure out how to recolor this, we might be able to use the same principles to make walls and such. Not enough of us are concentrating on this pc. I know we can also mod the motives of it and make a rejuvenator. We just need to get working on it. You can find the recolor here:

http://www.simchaotics.com/
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 20th Oct 2004 at 5:21 PM
He explains how it was recolored in the forums.

Just a monkey
Never judge a book by its movie.
Firestarter
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Oct 2004 at 5:24 PM
I'll have to read it. Was it on here? I can't even remember. But we still need someone working on hacking this thing, even if we just get the motives worked on.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#4 Old 20th Oct 2004 at 5:53 PM
On Hackers' Resource if I remember correctly

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 20th Oct 2004 at 5:58 PM
Yeah, it was on the Hackers' Resource forums. I don't remember all of the details, but he did change the guid and, in order to be able to edit the images, he treated it like a Body Shop file (even though it wasn't, obviously). I believe he exported a random Body Shop item, extracted the image file from the computer, replaced the Body Shop file with it (the Body Shop file was really just a vessel for him to be able to edit the picture) and was able to edit it through Body Shop that way. Then I think he did the reverse to put it back. Pretty clever. I'm sure I couldn't do it. The thing I really wouldn't be able to know is the GUID. I wouldn't know where to look, what to edit, etc., but I could probably do the rest.
Instructor
#6 Old 20th Oct 2004 at 6:16 PM
The GUID is stored in the Object Data Files on Offset 0x5C I think. At least it is sored there for a Sim
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 20th Oct 2004 at 6:23 PM
Ohhh, thank you.
Firestarter
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Oct 2004 at 6:25 PM
I had found the GUID using Watto's Total Byte Informer. It's not hard to find, even if you just look at the file through SimPE in hex view. Just look for the matching code. You'll find two instances of it where it matches. It looks similar to a Sims1 GUID. In theory, if you just change one value of it like a C to a D, that should be enough. I think I had posted the GUID number somewhere on this forum if you can find it.

There must be another way to edit the graphics. I'm thinking maybe extract the graphic with SimPe, then edit it and put it back, if the compression holds? I know we'll eventually work it out.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 20th Oct 2004 at 6:29 PM
Yeah, I was wishing for a more direct way to edit and add graphics for objects. It even crossed my mind to extract a .txtr file and change the extension to every known image file format and try to open each, one by one. I knew that wouldn't work, though. They're sneeeeaaaky.
Out-of-date, catching up
#10 Old 20th Oct 2004 at 7:00 PM
That guy is me. I could post the explanation here also if you want to, otherwise it can be read over here.
Test Subject
#11 Old 20th Oct 2004 at 7:09 PM
see my problem is i have no hex editting knowledge. I need some help there. to recolor the object you had in the tutorial that you did some manual editing. Can SimPE do this for you yet?
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 20th Oct 2004 at 7:46 PM
Welcome Merola64!! Glad you stopped by :D

Just a monkey
Never judge a book by its movie.
Firestarter
Original Poster
#13 Old 20th Oct 2004 at 11:30 PM
Hi, Merola64 Anything you can do here to help out is greatly appreciated. Welcome to the board
Firestarter
Original Poster
#14 Old 20th Oct 2004 at 11:35 PM
Merola64, just read through your instructions. They seem easy to understand. I'm wondering if we can use this technique for editing the Halloween decorations as well.
Out-of-date, catching up
#15 Old 21st Oct 2004 at 7:01 PM
I don't think there should be any problems, but I haven't tried it.
Test Subject
#16 Old 21st Oct 2004 at 11:58 PM
I suck. I just can't seem to get this to work.
Firestarter
Original Poster
#17 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 12:21 AM
Ranger, maybe try extracting the files with SimPE instead of GE?