Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#126 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 2:13 AM
thanks for the info on reward objects Psion, now onto finding a way to make the objects itself.
Advertisement
Not a Llama
#127 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 8:02 AM Last edited by Loverat : 18th Mar 2005 at 11:40 AM.
Career creation procedure docs (Beta)
I have finally finished updating the career document. It is rather long and windy as it is designed as a step-by-step guide.

While I have given it a quick run through, I still need some additional proof-reading / testing etc.

Any feed back will be appreciated (please be gentle )

I have now released to v0.04. This is the first version that is EP1 (University) compliant.

Version Changes
Initial release. (MS Word 2000 format only)
Minor clarifications.
Some typos fixed.
Added section summary / contents list.
Changed underlying Word dictionary to Australian English.
Released this version (and all future versions) in both Word and PDF formats.
Added warnings for University expansion compatibility
Added missing step for GroupID changes
Minor streamline of some initial steps.
Added Teen / Elder setup instructions
Improved layout consistency (M$ Word is not helping much in this )
Altered wording of GUID setup sections
Corrected more typos
0.04 FIRST EP1 COMPLIANT VERSION
Updated GUID and Group ID procedures.
Updated EP1 warning section (previous warning was pre-release EP1)
Corrected level numbers in Chance Card reference table.
Added EP1 Graduate Career creation steps.
Added some testing guidelines.
Added naming guidelines.
Added balance plea.
Highlighted section headings for easier reference.
Added upgrade procedure for Pre-EP careers.

see new tutorial for files http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=51901
Test Subject
#128 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 8:21 PM
Default ?
I was playing around with this, because I thought it would be neat... and it is...
but... is there a reason why in the paper and computer it lists the job by the 4th or 5th level of the job (teen job with 6 levels, because I could).

Or that it would use the male text calls for the paper/pc listings and the promotion text when a female sim is looking? It says it right under the skills/school/job tab, both as the job level name, and as the text when you put the arrow over said lvl name.
Did I screw up some steps, is this a bug, or what?

I did use the one cheat to make the job appear in the newspaper because I was trying to make sure it showed up and that I hadn't done something wrong and replaced the politics career... but I never used that before so I don't know if that might be the cause or not.
Not a Llama
#129 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 2:48 AM Last edited by Psion : 15th Feb 2005 at 3:13 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by RyuKaze
is there a reason why in the paper and computer it lists the job by the 4th or 5th level of the job (teen job with 6 levels, because I could).

I have never heard of the paper doing this (at least pre-patch), but I remember reading that the computer will advertise jobs one or two levels below that of your current job if you are currently employed. Maybe the paper does this as well.

Or that it would use the male text calls for the paper/pc listings and the promotion text when a female sim is looking? It says it right under the skills/school/job tab, both as the job level name, and as the text when you put the arrow over said lvl name.
Did I screw up some steps, is this a bug, or what?

I not quite certain of what you mean. To clarify, if you have taken a new job in the paper or PC as a male sim, the correct text and descriptions are used in the skill / career tab, but if doing the same with a female sim, the text and descriptions that are used are still for the male?

I did use the one cheat to make the job appear in the newspaper because I was trying to make sure it showed up and that I hadn't done something wrong and replaced the politics career... but I never used that before so I don't know if that might be the cause or not.

That should not affect how it is displayed, and I have never heard of such a bug in debug mode.

The only other thing I can think of is if the game is treating your sim as a male, even though it is skinned as female. The easy way to test this is just generate a new family for testing (not a bad idea in general anyway).
Not a Llama
#130 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 7:33 AM
I have released a minor update to the original career procedure document (see post #127)
Test Subject
#131 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 8:52 PM
The teen I used was unemployed and so was her father who I killed off in the first 'day' of their lives as I wanted to see if a social worker would show up to take the teen away. (A live alone teen, with no hacks for it) I knew the computer was supposed to do something like an extra level or two, but I didn't know if it was based on your 'current' job (which again, no one on the lot had) or what. But the paper showed the same job level which was around level 4.
However, on checking a male teen trying to get the job... it shows the paper as having the level 1 job level and the male text tracks... while the female checking still gets the level 4 male listing (even though if she takes it, she starts at level 1 with female text).

To clarify, when I have a male look, it shows it correctly, when I have a female look, the paper/pc show lvl 4 (or 5, I forget which one I put the name it shows on) Male job level name. When she takes the job, in her school/jobs tab it shows the correct female level name. When either is promoted, it shows the Male text box for promotion, and again, in the school/job tab lists it correctly.

I'm using the SimPE plugin, and should have the most recent ones available as I updated SimPE the same time I down loaded the career editor plugin (the one with a after the version number) which was about 5 days ago.
Not a Llama
#132 Old 17th Feb 2005 at 8:14 AM
Updated docs again v0.03
Once again, a new update (See post #127).
Not a Llama
#133 Old 17th Feb 2005 at 8:21 AM Last edited by Psion : 17th Feb 2005 at 8:22 AM. Reason: Clarification
I'm using the SimPE plugin, and should have the most recent ones available as I updated SimPE the same time I down loaded the career editor plugin (the one with a after the version number) which was about 5 days ago.

I have not done much with the plugin (sorry), but I would suggest one or both of the following:

01) Try posting this query in the plugin forum (if you haven't already; see post#1), as you are more likely to get a relevant answer that way.

or

02) You could try going over your career using the docs I have posted to see if you can pick up the problem that way (although they are not really designed for this).

As far as a bug, unless other people report the same issue, it is likely that Bidou is the only other person who could assist you.

You could also try making the career from scratch to eliminate any base file corruption. My docs will definitely assist you there.

Good luck!!
Instructor
#134 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 6:40 PM
Pto
This isn't importent to know but it isn't called "payed days off" its called "payed time off" and thats why its called pto... makes sense doesnt it :P

:nana: im smarter then u :nana:
Lab Assistant
#135 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 12:01 AM
Excuse me but how is this a tutorial?
Forum Resident
#136 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 7:32 AM
For those looking for updates on how to make old custom careers work with the EP, go here:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=49038
Test Subject
#137 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 2:05 PM
P00jkins,I admire you guys going in depth of these game files and unlike me understanding what your looking at.I have a question for you though.I had an old career get imbedded into my downloads and the filename was of course changed,therefore not obvious.I looked in both Hackscanner and CleanInstaller and never found it.I finally took out all my files,3000d/l's that weren't identifible and then had a working game again without lots locking up.But this was a huge problem with having too many d/l's at now 15K and it (career) being untraceable.Is there a way for future problem solving that creator made careers have some kind of specific file prefix or name even so if they are downloaded unknowingly,people can see what,where,etc they are when neither Hackscan or CleanInstaller miss them? Mine was a very old job made or picked up in my game probably last November so it was really lost to me in my mass d/l's.There are others like me with undownloaded purposefully careers that have alot of d/l's and it would make finding them alot easier if they were specific in some way.
thanks for your time.

"Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies." -Aristotle
Test Subject
#138 Old 12th Mar 2005 at 6:19 AM
Which category would teaching fall under?
Test Subject
#139 Old 12th Mar 2005 at 6:20 AM
Can we add a new category like Education to the career editor?
Not a Llama
#140 Old 15th Mar 2005 at 1:00 AM Last edited by Psion : 15th Mar 2005 at 7:44 AM.
p00jkins, have you had any problems with your updated career methods? I am very close to releasing the updated career document and any corrections to your original posting would be appreciated.

Also, although I have not done sufficient testing to prove this, I think that value 0x01 in the new tuning set indicates a graduate career (0 for standard, 2047 for graduate). Any thoughts?

I agree with your assessment of the "Chance card present" settings. They seem to match up with where the cards are located (or not present as the case may be). While this is a good system for EP class careers, any career missing the relevant entries in the chance refence fields will likely cause a fault in the original game. For pre-EP careers this information will be required. The presence keys should be ignored by the pre-EP game, but would obviously need to be present (as they are in the standard careers) for EP compatibility.

Have you made any headway into the other fields?

One possibility I have considered as an upgrade process (similar to one listed in your other thread) is basically to load a new base career (I'll probably pick on Athletics again :D) and import the old pre-EP custom career over the top, replacing (in theory) all the relevant fields, with the resulting object being both pre-EP1 and EP1 compliant. The main worry I have is that it will still likely flag the top of the base career as achieved. This will need further work. I'll test this a bit later if possible. What do you think?
Forum Resident
#141 Old 17th Mar 2005 at 2:38 PM
I havent had any major problems as such. I've updated all my careers and they all work fine in my game. But i have had 1 person saying that a sim of his gets promoted every second. (Dont know how much of that is true?) No other problems have been reported though, through more than 1000 downloads of all my careers combined.

Your theory for the tuning behavior constant sounds plausible but im too confused to give a real opinion or answer to that. All the tunings seem different, i wonder why.

I've had someone test an updated career of mine, and apparently it has worked well for the game without the expansion pack, defeating the purpose of 2 versions. I guess the game ignores the extra fields in the EP career files.Thats all i have so far~

SAm....Home to the clones and my gorgeous friends,
SIMilar Addiction
Forum Resident
#142 Old 17th Mar 2005 at 2:42 PM
~Silicity~, I'm really not sure about that. I agree, custom careers are a huge problem and i would be furious if something i had not downloaded ended up in my downloads folder. At this point, i dont know how to rectify the problem since thats not my exact area of specialty. But ill keep my eyes open for anything useful.
Test Subject
#143 Old 17th Mar 2005 at 9:26 PM
Errors with tutorial download
Psion, tried downloading both of your versions of tutorial (as I need an idiots guide and checking out everyones). However, when I tried to unzip them I get an error message asking me to close, break operation, or put on my clip board.

Any clue what's causing this?

"Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to."
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory."
My cat intends to conquer the world. One nap at a time.
Aysen - (Turkish) "Beautiful, Like The Moon"
Not a Llama
#144 Old 18th Mar 2005 at 6:19 AM Last edited by Psion : 18th Mar 2005 at 6:21 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Aysen08
when I tried to unzip them I get an error message

Any clue what's causing this?

The files themselves should be OK, so it is likely your unzip program that is having problems. I would recommend downloading and installing the latest version. the files are packed using "enhanced deflate" so require the latest WinZIP or equivalent.

Just remember, the v0.03 doc is pre-EP1, so will not work with Uni. v0.04 should be up this weekend, and it is EP1 compliant.
Not a Llama
#145 Old 18th Mar 2005 at 10:57 AM
I have now updated the Custom Career Procedure document to v0.04. It is now EP1 (University) compliant.

See post #127 in this forum.
Slacker of Immense Slackness
retired moderator
#146 Old 18th Mar 2005 at 11:34 AM
bling bling!

Go here http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=51901 for the new updated EP compliant tutorial download!

<:3))~~ Loverat
"In some cultures what I do is considered normal"

www.loverat.net Check it out for other recolours & lot uploads =D
Locked thread
Page 6 of 6