Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 6273
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 205 (Who?), Viewed: 19058 times.
Search this Thread
Old 11th Mar 2019, 12:21 AM #201
Duncan Disorderly
Lab Assistant

4 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
Is this the tweet you're talking about? https://twitter.com/lazygamereviews...726368037650432

As for YouTube cracking down on content creators, they're having their own problems with pedophiles. They're losing money because of them instead of just dealing with them in the first place.

YouTube loses advertisers over “wormhole into pedophilia ring”

Blech! There is no getting away from it aside from just not going on the internet at all.

Growing up in a pre-internet world, as I did, meant children encountered peedos the old fashioned way. Face to face. While I can only recall two times an adult stepped over the line, I somehow managed to avoid the situation spiraling out of control. Thankfully.

There was a third occasion, but this was unlike the other two. I grew up in Queens, New York. New York is insane at the best of times and there are lunatics everywhere. I challenge anyone, resident NY'r, or not, to go into Manhattan for an afternoon and avoid seeing an honest to goodness certifiable nutcase. It's impossible. Still. Some crazies aren't all bad. My favorite was seeing an old tramp sat in the middle of the quite famous fountain at Columbus Circle. He was holding a partially broken umbrella and was wearing a huge grin on his face. When you consider it was on a typical hot, humid mid-summer day, then perhaps his insanity is debatable in an idiot savant vibe. Point is, amazing, yet insane city.

Anyway, when I was around 10, I was crossing a major road near my house called Queens Blvd. There's a raised railway line that follows Queens Blvd. In fact, the area has been used multiple times in Spiderman films. Peter Parker's neighborhood was my neighborhood. The area under the train line is used for parking. As I was crossing and reached the parking area I heard a voice from a van I happened to be passing. It was a man in his late 20's, I reckon. He said hello to me, but he spoke like we knew each other. He asked me where I had been and if I had any plans. Next, he casually says, hop in the van and we'll hang out. Even at 10, I had enough savvy to instantly know if I went in that frikkin van, I'd never get out. When I said no, because I was actually flying to the UK that afternoon, he got a bit aggressive and asked me if I was a queer and a pussy. At this point, I knew I had to get away. FAST.

It's pointless to continue. You know how it ends because I'm here to tell the tale. The encounter is still vivid in my mind and it's given me goosebumps over the years. Then again, with damn good reason. While I'm not claiming to speak for everyone, I can only give my perspective. Quite simply, some peedos are pervs. But, some are pure evil. This is why I see my third as separate.

Unfortunately, peedos are a fact of life. It doesn't matter if the world has the internet or not, the best form of defense is prevention. My parents were hippies. They believed a child should be raised with the truth about the world, both good and bad. I have no doubt it's precisely why I'm a strict realist to this day. You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned more awareness and exposure is needed. This is why I went off topic to share my experience. If a child encounters a peedo on the web, it makes damn sure it avoids meeting strangers from the web.

"NON DUCOR. DUCO!"

"I AM NOT LED. I LEAD!"

GARGA BLARG BLARG!!!
Old 11th Mar 2019, 2:03 AM #202
Gargoyle Cat
Mad Poster

1 Achievements

I also grew up pre-internet days. I had two assholes in a pickup truck chase me while I was walking home one evening from the store. Fortunately it was just past dusk and the apartment complex I lived in at the time had tons of shrubs of bushes around for me to hide behind. Once they were out of sight, I hightailed it home and watched. The bastards drove around the complex for over a hour looking for me.

A few months ago I was in the grocery store looking for something for dinner. There was some creep that followed me all over the frickin' store. Nothing sez asking for trouble like walking around the grocery store on a Sunday night. I've since been back to the grocery store on Sunday nights and what do you know, it's the same morons still hanging around like lounge lizards gawking / following at anything that moves.

I understand that there will always be creeps, thugs and assholes. However, in the cases that are being reported as of recently, these creeps, thugs and assholes are pulling their shit online. That doesn't make it okay or change how I feel about it.
Old 11th Mar 2019, 10:35 PM #203
Duncan Disorderly
Lab Assistant

4 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
I also grew up pre-internet days. I had two assholes in a pickup truck chase me while I was walking home one evening from the store. Fortunately it was just past dusk and the apartment complex I lived in at the time had tons of shrubs of bushes around for me to hide behind. Once they were out of sight, I hightailed it home and watched. The bastards drove around the complex for over a hour looking for me.

A few months ago I was in the grocery store looking for something for dinner. There was some creep that followed me all over the frickin' store. Nothing sez asking for trouble like walking around the grocery store on a Sunday night. I've since been back to the grocery store on Sunday nights and what do you know, it's the same morons still hanging around like lounge lizards gawking / following at anything that moves.

I understand that there will always be creeps, thugs and assholes. However, in the cases that are being reported as of recently, these creeps, thugs and assholes are pulling their shit online. That doesn't make it okay or change how I feel about it.

I hear you and share your feelings. Unfortunately, that's the reality of the internet. It's been like this since the early days, when modems used to squeek and screach as you logged on. Like life, the web is a double-edged sword. You take the good with the bad and there's some things we can't change. I may not like this fact, but I accept it.

Wow. A person must be close to scraping the bottom of their barrel if they have resorted to Sunday night grocery store trolling.

Now that I'm an adult, I have only one thing that worries me slightly. In truth, it wouldn't concern me if I hadn't found myself in this situation. A few years ago, I was in my car on the way home. At the end of my road is a primary school and it was the end of the school day. Naturally, mothers and kids everywhere. By chance, I noticed my friend Vicky waiting for her son. So, I opened my window to shout hello, but she didn't hear me at first due to the screaming kids and general noise. There was young lad stood near my car who had noticed me yelling out of the car, he looked 8 at the most. He looks at me and very loudly says, "No, I don't want to get in your car and have sex!"

I was completely dumbfounded for a second and stared at this brat in disbelief. Finally, I snapped out of it. I got Vicky's attention, pointed the little bastard out to her as he ran off and explained what had happened. She reported him to a teacher the next day. Apparently, it wasn't the first time he had done this.

"NON DUCOR. DUCO!"

"I AM NOT LED. I LEAD!"

GARGA BLARG BLARG!!!
Old 15th Mar 2019, 5:05 PM #204
starryeyedSim
Field Researcher

Things I have heard about...EA paid someone one milliin dollars to play and promote their new game. Needless to say, if someone is paid a million dollars then they are going to promote that thing all over the place, and not have anything bad to say. (And why gamechanger titles should be changed to game promoter).
Old 15th Mar 2019, 6:10 PM #205
DrChillgood
Scholar

12 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyedSim
Things I have heard about...EA paid someone one milliin dollars to play and promote their new game. Needless to say, if someone is paid a million dollars then they are going to promote that thing all over the place, and not have anything bad to say. (And why gamechanger titles should be changed to game promoter).

Sad thing is, wasn’t Apex Legends doing decently compared to, say, Anthem?

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Old 15th Mar 2019, 7:35 PM #206
Duncan Disorderly
Lab Assistant

4 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyedSim

The logic astounds me. They would rather pay someone a million to claim a game is good, instead of utilizing the million to ensure it is good. If they were tasked to cure world hunger, they would probably kill millions of starving people and pat themselves on the back.

Totally agree. Pay me a million and I'm only going to tell you what a demon in the sack the game is. It may leave a bitter taste in my mouth, but it's what I'm being paid to do. So many people are whores to a certain degree these days.

"NON DUCOR. DUCO!"

"I AM NOT LED. I LEAD!"

GARGA BLARG BLARG!!!

Section jump: