Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 11:12 PM
Default Memory Strength
I want to add simler90's new Mood Mod into my game and before deciding whether I want the memory version or not, I took a look at some of my sims' memories in SimPE to try and get a feeling for how much effect they could generally have on the mood. But I found some things I can't explain?

According to the Sim Wiki, the following lines in the raw data are relevant to the strength of the memory:
0x7: Initial Value (typical values seen: -100, -75, -50, 0, 50, 75, 100)
0x8: Minimum Value (typical values seen: 0, 5, A)
0x9: Daily Decay (some of the values seen: 25, 42, 96)
0xA: Current Value (absolute value should be between Minimum Value and Initial Value)

I was mostly looking at death memories, since I thought those would be most likely to influence the mood negatively. And here are some examples of what I found (converted into decimal numbers for easier reading):

0x7: 65461
0x8: 5
0x9: 25
0xA: 0

Here somehow the strength is at zero (so below the minimum value) and with this initial value and decay that would have taken over 2000 in-game days?

0x7: 65461
0x8: 10
0x9: 0
0xA: 65461

And here the value just doesn't decay at all and stays ridiculously high? Which would mean that with the Mood Mod this sim would always get the -25 memory penalty.

Both memories seem to be the exact same type, so I'm not really sure how this happened? Anyone any idea? =P

Visit My Test of Time Challenge: wordpress & livejournal
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 26th Apr 2019 at 5:16 PM
I know this thread didn't spark any interest, but I had an epiphany yesterday evening and I just have to share.

Since the death memory is a negative memory (generally speaking) the initial value is going to be negative. I'm not quite sure how the negative values work in this case, but this means that for both examples the initial number is probably not absurdly high. And as for the current value of the first example, it is normal that it is under the minimum value since that is rather a maximum value in this case. The same for the decay value, which in this case is more of a "recovery" value.

So, the only interesting thing now would be to know how the negative numbers work? My best assumption is that the first number would probably always be either 0 or f and therefore decides which sign the number has. The actual value might be the inverse? Considering 65535 is the maximum number you can get with 4 digits and that it is probably going to be -1, then 65461 would be -635? That would still mean that those sims, who have a death memory that does not decay, will always get the -25 mood penalty, except if they make enough new memories. More than 200 to be exact. Which is quite a lot, even counting invisible memories. =/

Test Subject
#3 Old 26th Apr 2019 at 9:27 PM Last edited by SixAM! : 4th May 2019 at 8:58 PM.
To answer your question, negative numbers in TS2 are stored in what's called "two's complement".
Here's a converter. All you have to do is input the hexadecimal number and click "Convert". You'll find the correct value in the box labelled "Hex signed 2's complement".

So, the initial value for those death memories is 0xFFB5, which is -75 in decimal.

By the way, whenever you see a hexadecimal number that starts with 0xF in TS2, it's almost always a negative number.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 26th Apr 2019 at 10:48 PM
I think it's had no response because some of us don't understand the post *raises hand* and it's also the wrong place to post, modding probably would have been better. Also as it's a mod from here you may have been best to contact the creator directly.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Apr 2019 at 11:44 PM
@SixAM! Thanks for the info! It's great to hear that the initial value is not as high as I thought it would be. -75 is quite manageable and means that the mood mod would work... as intended, I guess. :P

@joandsarah77 Yeah, I was debating whether I should post it in discussion or modding. In the end, I decided on the discussion board since I don't intend to actually mod the game or change any of the memories. But you're probably right. If any mod happens to pass by and feel like moving the thread, I'm not going to object.
Also I didn't contact the creator directly, because I was interested in hearing what other people might have discovered while looking at their sims' memories. There was the possibility that the thread could have turned into an actual discussion. XD But I guess in the end I got the answer I was after, so all's good. ^_^