Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 12:51 AM Last edited by Simonut : 19th Apr 2019 at 1:31 AM.
Default I Know That Some Things Will End
Turn On my Computer today and for the first time right in front of my face was a Big screen over the top of my beautiful picture of Nature.
A message loud and clear from Microsoft saying dear user that as of January 2020 they will no longer give updates or security fixes for your PC.
It goes on to tell me to buy a new computer and get Window 10 ( NOT! ) and that to update window 10 on my old computer would not be a good idea.

Here what upset me and make me so mad, way back, they was even telling people to update to window 10 for free even sending updates for window 10.
So now they are saying it not good to do so on an older computer but buy a new computer ( Microsoft must be out of their F mind ) I pay a lot of money to have my computer custom made.

At this point my only worry is my SIMS, It run very well on window 7 and I have ran across members here who have said Sims on Window 10 do not run well.
I just want to get everyone opinions about this and even if I no longer get Window 7 updates or fixes but as long as I keep my own personal security to protect me from Virus or Malware. Should that be ok ?
Do I need to worry about their shut down next year ? I just want to continue to play my Sims 2 on my Window 7 What do you all think? I am not going to unplug my system to go buy Window 10. Not and more not!

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 1:02 AM
You will be more at risk when it comes to security holes, so it's a valid concern.

If you have the opportunity to go onto the web elsewhere, and aren't too concerned with updates and whatnots for other programs, you could simply turn off the internet access and continue using Win7 with your game after that period. You could handle CC via an external harddrive/USB stick, and transferring files from a computer with security systems and AV/AM programs in place should be relatively safe.

That's basically what I did with my WinVista computer a while back (mostly because leaving the internet access on was a sure way to make the computer freeze up. Possible RAM/Motherboard issue, it turned out - I think it kept freezing up when it tried to do bulk updates, becasuse it worked relatively fine for a while without internet access).

Another option is setting up a virtual machine with Win7 for your game. Haven't tried it myself, but it's tempting since Win10 does create a lot of issues in regards to older 32-bit programs like TS2. My new laptop has Win10, and I've already stumbled upon some TS2 issues I didn't have with Win7 or XP (but did have in some amounts with Vista).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 1:33 AM
I had this pc put together just February gone and I had Win 7 installed on purpose because not only do I like it, but I felt it would be easier with simming. Doesn't worry me a bit as I will simply take it offline and keep it for simming and buy a notebook for online. I've not seen any messages, but then I never update windows and everything is set to no auto. I have also thought of the Virtual machine idea, we shall have to see.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Undead Molten Llama
#4 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 1:51 AM
Meh. I have never updated Win 7, have always had automatic updates turned off and haven't bothered doing it manually. No issues. Same with Vista, on my previous Simming computer, after MS stopped supporting it. All you need is good firewall, antivirus, and anti-malware programs THAT YOU KEEP UPDATED and you're fine. MS can go screw itself, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Alchemist
#5 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 1:51 AM
First of all, are you quite sure that's from Microsoft? It sounds like a phishing scam. But, anyway..., you asked what we think, so ... I have not let Windows 7 update since 2015. (I checked for this post.) I never let anything update automatically. I check to see what they want to update, and I decide if it's needed or not. It rarely is, but either way, I'm in control and don't let updates break things. I haven't connected to Origin since I installed UC, either, btw. I use excellent malware/virus protection. (I highly recommend Emsisoft, if you're looking. It kept my laptop safe through years of risky internet use and file sharing while I worked abroad.) I also use a VPN when I'm on risky Wifi. In short, I understand how my system works and I take care of it, and I don't need Windows support. I have a copy of Windows 7 in case I need to install it on a different machine, and I am keeping Windows 7 as long as it runs what I want it to run. I did the same with my old XP and only changed it when I wanted to run new hardware and software that needed 64-bit. I never bothered with Vista or 8 and am not interested in 10. Eventually, I'll probably just move to Linux. I say protect yourself and don't let them scare you into something you don't want. And, for sure, look carefully at anything that claims to come from Microsoft. It's a common scam.
Theorist
#6 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 1:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
First of all, are you quite sure that's from Microsoft? It sounds like a phishing scam.

I believe it's from MS. When I was talkin to my dad earlier today he also mentioned that after the first of the year Win 7 won't be supported. I'm not gonna stress 'bout it now as I don't have the funds to buy a new comp or even to get Win 10 if I wanted to. That's still 8ish months away. I'll deal with it when it gets closer :P
Alchemist
#7 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 1:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CaliBrat
I believe it's from MS. When I was talkin to my dad earlier today he also mentioned that after the first of the year Win 7 won't be supported. I'm not gonna stress 'bout it now as I don't have the funds to buy a new comp or even to get Win 10 if I wanted to. That's still 8ish months away. I'll deal with it when it gets closer :P

Oh, you're right, it is true it won't be supported, which, again, only means it won't update. I'm not so sure about the message she describes, though. I'd need to see such a message myself that has Microsoft jumping onto people's screens to say buy a new computer. That, I find unlikely. Possible, but unlikely. Oth, it is a very common scam to impersonate Microsoft and say they've found a bug or a virus on your computer and you need to call them and such nonsense as that.
Instructor
#8 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 1:59 AM
I don't have any problems running Sims on Windows 10. If you get a solid state hard drive and a decent graphic card, you'll be fine. I do not shut off my updates. Microsoft PC Security has never interfered with my gaming. The only security I turned off was their controlled folder access.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 2:12 AM
I think the Win7 going off support is even mentioned on Microsoft's site (I stumbled onto a YT video a while ago about the issue, and ddecided to do a little bit of research). So most likely not a scam.

My Win10 issues may be related to the graphics card (it's too new for TS2 to immediately recognize) and to how 10 handles memory (had some issues sorting out the pink-flashing), and to make the game not crash (did sort that out in the end), so with a bit more tinkering I'm almost sure I'll be able to comfortably play my TS2 game with Win10. Most of the issues so far has to do with the graphics card and the memory handling.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 2:18 AM
I agree with Sunrader. While it's known that support for win 7 will be ending, I would be suspicious of this large pop-up being from Microsoft. It could be a copy cat scam to get you to click and give you a virus.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#11 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 2:20 AM
I bought Win 7 on purpose, in spite of building my own machine piece by piece. I never get messages like you had, and I wonder why you do. Anyway, It seems like I do not relay on their updates and such, and I'll keep my dear Win 7 for as long as I can.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Field Researcher
#12 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 2:23 AM
It popped up on mine too, full screen, not telling you to get another computer but warning you that change is coming etc etc. and that support will no longer be provided after Jan 2020. It's Microsoft. I have W7 and plan on keeping it.
Alchemist
#13 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 2:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jain
It popped up on mine too, full screen, not telling you to get another computer but warning you that change is coming etc etc. and that support will no longer be provided after Jan 2020. It's Microsoft. I have W7 and plan on keeping it.

Can you show us a screen shot? If it is, wow, that's poor marketing because it would resemble many scams. If you google "microsoft pop up" the word "scam" fills automatically and gives many examples.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 2:40 AM
I also saw it, and clicked ignore. Another option was to find out my options or something like that, and the last was to not see this again. Maybe that was a checkbox or something. There was no request for money right now, and it went away politely when told to, so I figured it's legit Microsoft nonsense.

If it comes back I'll try to grab a screenshot for you.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Theorist
#15 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 2:43 AM
We have Windows 7 on a lot of computers here (at least six of them) and I don't think anyone has got a message. I would be super leery about such a thing because there are scads of scammers out there just waiting to make sure you know "each and everything" that is wrong with your computer, even if there is nothing wrong. I highly recommend to everyone to go to YouTube and watch a guy who goes by Kitboga. Not only is he informative he's also a hoot with different characters playing the marks.

Anyway, having said that yes, Windows 7 will be coming to the end of its supported life at the end of this year (along with Flash) so our options are to take our Windows 7 computers offline, update to a supported OS, or become REALLY familiar with a good Linux distribution and REALLY friendly with someone who knows a lot about it. I've been threatening to go to Linux for the past fifteen years and it's just now to a point where that could become a reality. Linux already will run about ninety percent of what I have installed, plus it can also handle Sims 2 in its emulated Windows environment.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 2:45 AM
I got that same message too right now (first time), so it's probably showing for those who are running Win7. I think it's a perfectly legit Windows message, same as when I got those "upgrade to win10 free" messages back when they offered free upgrades for 7/8.

I think support for the Enterprise (or whatever they're called) versions for commercial/office use still have support up until a later date (may have been 2023, but my memory on this is a bit hazy). The issue concerns mainly the Home or Pro versions, possibly a few others. I don't know how many Win7 versions there are, but I'm guessing 'more than enough'.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 2:47 AM
And..what are the requirement(s) to see that message pop up? As it does not happen to me.

Mad Poster
#18 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 2:52 AM
It popped up after my laptop woke up from sleep mode.

I'd think you need a home/pro/? version of Win7 for it to show, possibly popping up one of these days, and after some version of powerdown/sleep/hibernation. I think it may have followed an update, so if you don't update your Win7, you may not see the message.

I just X-ed it out, and nothing else than the window disappearing happened. Did forget to tick the "do not show", so I'm guessing it'll pop back up again.

By the year 2020 my Win7 laptop is probably dead anyway (gettting close), so I doubt it'll be much of an issue for me. If Win10 bothers me so much in regards to my games that I can't handle it, I may consider a Win7 virtual machine.

Picture, some info (and how to avoid it) here: https://www.howtogeek.com/408556/ho...f-support-nags/
Also posted pic below for those who don't know what we're talking about.
Screenshots
Alchemist
#19 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 3:00 AM Last edited by Sunrader : 19th Apr 2019 at 10:53 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Misty_2004
Anyway, having said that yes, Windows 7 will be coming to the end of its supported life at the end of this year (along with Flash) so our options are to take our Windows 7 computers offline

I'm actually more concerned about Flash screwing up websites, but I don't agree that our option is to take our Windows 7 computer offline. Again, I haven't updated since 2015 and I'm online 24/7, so not at all convinced of that. I have really good protection in Emsisoft. This is from Microsoft, and I agree the message, if you follow the link, is disturbing. Honestly, if Microsoft can send you such a message, then it seems to me you are more vulnerable to them than to outside threats. I wonder if this message is showing up on screens that allow updates?
Mad Poster
#20 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 3:04 AM
Ok, so I restarted my PC, since it never goes to sleep as I hate that, it is either always up and running or..I reboot from time to time. I have Win 7 pro and nothing happened. I guess, you must have updates on On or something, or maybe some kind of Microsoft defender thing, which I always cancel.

Mad Poster
#21 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 3:09 AM
Yes, simmer22 got the same popup I did.

I figure 7 is going to be a much smaller target for hackers/viruses after this date because most people will change over so as not to have issues. We will not be changing my dad over (assuming he lives that long) because he still hasn't really got 7 down, and it'll be easier to reinstall his operating system three times a week than to attempt to get him on a new one. So while new programs won't be compatible, if you really just want to yell (out loud, not by typing) at people for being wrong about politics on the internet, it'll probably be okay enough to take 7 online anyway. (It's like the computer version of yelling at the TV. Whatever. It contents him and he's eighty) I'll probably keep my desktop running 7, playing sims 2, and browsing MTS. Unless Delphy does something to make 7 non-compatible, it'll be fine for that sort of limited online use.

Won't bank with it, though. Might get a new baby laptop for business and banking type stuff.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#22 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 3:19 AM
Well, if you don't update there are security holes that malware and hackers can potentially get through, so not updating isn't recommended unless you know what you're doing and how to deal with those possible issues. 4 years is a long time, considering those holes are found relatively often but aren't always flared up in media unless they're really bad.

Windows is known for having a lot of security issues, but that's mostly because it's the most popular OS provider. If you hammer it enough from various angles, something is bound to give in. I can imagine that there may be a potential rise in problems around the months when Win7 is taken off support, just because a lot of people don't want to quit using it. It's probably a hacker's dream to find security holes that won't ever be patched.

Taking the computer offline is one option, perhaps for those who aren't technologically advanced and just want to be safe. Not saying something absolutly will happen if you keep the computer online, just that there's a potential threat and going offline is pretty much the only way you can be relatively close to safe if you're not particularly tech-savvy.

Hackers and malware need access to the computer somehow, so if the computer is already clean, there's no direct access, no harmful hardware or software, and you cut off the biggest access point (internet) and other forms of connecting one computer to another (like server systems), the risk practically goes away. It's those weaker contact points that may potentially cause problems.

It's not certain that you'll have these kinds of problems with Win7 after support is ended. The computer may work fine, and you may never have issues with hacking or malware. There are some risks to consider, though. There's still several months left to decide, so you can always do some research on the options. Win10 isn't the only OS out there.
Theorist
#23 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 5:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
I'm actually more concerned about Flash screwing up websites, but I don't agree that our option is to take our Windows 7 computer offline. Again, I haven't updated since 2015 and I'm online 24/7, so not at all convinced of that. I wonder if this message is showing up on screens that allow updates? Hm... we'll see.

It may well be safe but I couldn't possibly say it was so.

Also, just got to thinking, mayhaps the notice is coming out with update notices. I have my computer set to tell me before installing them so if it's legit the rest of us will probably see one shortly as well.

Most websites that use Flash will either have to update to HTML5 if possible (which they should already have but I know some things that still use antiquated coding and there's no way to upgrade them) or kill off those features. I use one website that still harbors Flash and the constant updates are terribly annoying.
Forum Resident
#24 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 6:43 AM
I, too, had the pop-up Thursday morning. It looked quite legit and knowing how well I have my computer protected, I even clicked on the link (gasp!) after I hovered over it and saw the actual link. It went to a bonafide Microsoft page which had almost the same word for word first paragraph.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/win...in7_app_omc_win

I believe this is word for word from the pop-up as well.
"While you could continue to use your PC running Windows 7, without continued software and security updates, it will be at greater risk for viruses and malware. Going forward, the best way for you to stay secure is on Windows 10. And the best way to experience Windows 10 is on a new PC. While it is possible to install Windows 10 on your older device, it is not recommended."

I didn't check the "Don't show again" box either so if or when the pop-up comes back, I'll try to remember to get a screenshot. I have updates enabled, but only to notify me, not to auto install.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Mad Poster
#25 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 7:29 AM
I don't have updates automatically installed, and I don't have notifications turned on either.
The issue has been known for quite some time, and while I appreciate the gravity of the situation, this paragraph is rather obvious in its' intent-to get you to not only get Win10 (which I have a problem with), and to also buy a new computer at the same time to enjoy the benefits of Win 10.

It's rather blatant advertising for both Microsoft and Win 10, as well as their partners who install Win 10 in their computers as the OS for them:

Quote:
While you could continue to use your PC running Windows 7, without continued software and security updates, it will be at greater risk for viruses and malware. Going forward, the best way for you to stay secure is on Windows 10. And the best way to experience Windows 10 is on a new PC. While it is possible to install Windows 10 on your older device, it is not recommended.
 

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Page 1 of 2