Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 2:02 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2
Default Expansion pack errors
Hey guys, I'm after some help, I have the sims 2 on CD complete with serial number which works perfectly fine on my Windows 10 pc. However when it comes to installing any expansion pack it goes through the install process and it starts to make sure my sims is most up to date version, this is where the trouble starts. It crashes the installation and says TS2UPDO.exe has stopped working. Now I've spoke to EA support and followed every instruction from a clean boot to checking my drive and also patched the games as suggested in a forum how ever everything I have tried has not fixed the error. Is there anyone here that could help shed some light on the situation before the Mrs murders me for not being able to play on the expansions packs. May I be forever in your debt if you can help.

A desperate man.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 2:29 PM
Possible Windows 10 permissions. Try going to Settings-Windows Security-Virus and Threat Protection-Manage Settings-Controlled Folder Access and turn it off. When installing the game, temporarily turn off your virus protection. Hopefully, others will chime in if that's not the problem.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 2:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by suzymarie64
Possible Windows 10 permissions. Try going to Settings-Windows Security-Virus and Threat Protection-Manage Settings-Controlled Folder Access and turn it off. When installing the game, temporarily turn off your virus protection. Hopefully, others will chime in if that's not the problem.

Thankyou for your reply, I will give this a go at some point today, I did have the virus protection switched off but not tried switching off the settings for the folder so will try that, keeping fingers crossed.
Alchemist
#4 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 8:45 PM
if Windows 10 has a "Safe Mode", you might try installing through that.

another option might be to install in a virtual computer.

or if you have enough money, might search for and buy other operating systems.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 10:39 AM
I installed my Sims 2 in Windows 7 "Safe Mode" to get around the annoying User Account Control. I didn't realize until afterward that "Safe Mode" loads Windows without graphics drivers. Since Sims 2 didn't find any graphics drivers during the installation process, I ended up with low resolution, "straw grass" and solid water and had to go back and edit my .sgr files to get Sims 2 to work with my graphics card. It works fine now, but what a pain!

I don't know if Windows 10 "Safe Mode" is the same way, but thought you should be aware of this.