Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Dec 2019 at 4:13 PM
Alien Features CC -- expressive antennae? "warpable" meshing?
hi folks! so the short of it is that i'm a trekkie, and i'm working in blender to create some CC of the andorian antennae (including forehead prosthetic) as seen in star trek: enterprise (see: this image of shran from the memory alpha wiki). and that's all well and good, and i'm having fun slowly plugging away at it, building my own mesh from scratch, but i've got two main concerns about implementing this whole thing.

the first is that because there's a forehead prosthetic involved, i do need the lower portion of the mesh to stretch and adhere to the sim's forehead, and not be a static piece. any clipping or sticking out would make the whole thing look pretty garbage, especially if the eyebrows don't move with the sim's facial structure/expressions (the prosthetic covers them). i've glanced through the tutorials here before when i was adjusting some existing hair for personal use, but i don't remember finding one about making sure something new stretches with a sim in this way -- can anyone link me one, or explain the process?

the second concern is that, in the show, andorian antennae are very expressive. they move around and emote, and it feels wrong to me to leave the antennae in one default, neutral posture for screenshots of my future andorian sims where they may be feeling strongly about something, especially if they're sad, angry, or focused, which are emotions that have pretty distinct antennae postures. is there any way to make a cc object (probably in the earring slot) bend in some way, linked to the sim's emotional state? or should i just make several versions of the antennae in different positions and switch them around as necessary for pictures? i'd rather they just move on their own of course, but i can deal with it if that isn't possible at all. i just want to know ahead of time, mostly

(to any other trekkies wondering: yes i am also going to be making hairstyles that work with the antennae, an aenar variant of the antennae, and andorian, aenar, and hybrid skintones, and i will also be making CC prosthetics and/or skintones and/or hair and/or whatever else for other aliens as well, as many as i can do. it will be a very slow process since i am not fast with blender and my focus is not very good, but i am determined to do this. i just have to figure out the trial run here first so any help is appreciated!)
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 20th Dec 2019 at 6:06 PM
For the prosthetic, you should be able to make it the same way hair is made to appear seamless, by matching vertices at the edges exactly to face vertices, not just position but normals, bone assignments, and uv1. You'll also have to include blue in the vertex color for those vertices. I won't be at my modding computer to look it up, but you can examine a hair mesh to see how the scalp vertices are colored.

I don't know of any way to animate the antennae according to mood. It might be possible to make a buff that will apply different CAS Parts but I'm not an expert - you might ask in Modding Discussion.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4