Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
#7726 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 4:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bassoon_crazy
That's kind of rotten that fireworks and jack-o-lantern carving are features from packs other than Seasons. They added so much Spooky Day stuff (according to members on this forum IIRC) so why not just add those two essential holiday features?

Only 3 purely decor items from Spooky added into Seasons, no gameplay items to even add into Holiday tradition (unless the tradition says Decorate Using Spooky Items?).
Advertisement
Scholar
#7727 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 4:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by emino
Only 3 purely decor items from Spooky added into Seasons, no gameplay items to even add into Holiday tradition (unless the tradition says Decorate Using Spooky Items?).

Ah, I see. I saw people commenting after the stream that stuff was added from Spooky stuff in Seasons.

The "Spooky Spirit" (or whatever it is called) tells you that some of your options of achieving that are through carving pumpkins, playing the pipe organ from the Vampire pack, etc.

Carving pumpkins should have been a thing in this EP, just like it was in TS3. But the idea to lock features like this behind multiple paywalls is always how EA gets you. Want fireworks for your version of 4th of July, New Years, etc.? You need City Living. Want to be able to carve pumpkins for Halloween/Spooky Day? You need Spooky Stuff.

Thank goodness the Christmas stuff is not locked behind multiple paywalls.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Top Secret Researcher
#7728 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 6:55 AM
Ah, I see. I saw people commenting after the stream that stuff was added from Spooky stuff in Seasons.

The "Spooky Spirit" (or whatever it is called) tells you that some of your options of achieving that are through carving pumpkins, playing the pipe organ from the Vampire pack, etc.

Carving pumpkins should have been a thing in this EP, just like it was in TS3. But the idea to lock features like this behind multiple paywalls is always how EA gets you. Want fireworks for your version of 4th of July, New Years, etc.? You need City Living. Want to be able to carve pumpkins for Halloween/Spooky Day? You need Spooky Stuff.

Thank goodness the Christmas stuff is not locked behind multiple paywalls.

They are in this predicament because those came out in stuff packs BEFORE Seasons.

You yourself testify at the outrage people have against their choice to include the three Spooky items (which people had to buy before in its own pack) in Seasons. Can you imagine the Armageddon that will happen when they reuse actual gameplay objects from past packs in this one pack? People who has bought the packs before will protest or demand their money back lol.
Field Researcher
#7729 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 7:38 AM
I think, they could have solved this easily with making this only available, if you have that specific pack.
But I hope this is something a mod could solve. I really like the suggestions emino had.
Forum Resident
#7730 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 8:12 AM
I'm pretty annoyed by their choice to take items from a SP instead of creating new spooky items, so I just want to mention I noticed at least 4 stolen items - The spiderwebs, two pumpkin lamps and graveyard lantern.
I would have honestly been okay with adding pumpkin carving as tradition when you have the SP. It wouldn't really feel like a paywall to me. It's more like a small bonus and a way to connect the previous packs.
dodgy builder
#7731 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 1:29 PM
They could just have made the content from previous pack compatible if you have the pack. That shouldn't be a problem. It costs money though, and that's probably why they don't do it. They need to pay someone to do it.

... not to mention the extra complications with content they perhaps don't quite remember other than what is obvious. I think developers have to make a record of what they did, but still if it's game objects with behaviour it's easy to make a mistake.
Instructor
#7732 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 1:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Candacis
I think, they could have solved this easily with making this only available, if you have that specific pack.

You mean like how they did that with My First Pet were people were understandable pissed about a content in a Stuff Pack requiring a Expansion?
Maybe they thought about it but considering the negative reaction to My First Pet they likely drop it with good reason, its better to just use the existing create a Holiday to make your notHalloween using things from Spooky Stuff that create new assents for a expansion and lock then behind ANOTHER paywall, the best choice would be to patch in notHalloween into Spooky Stuff as a Holiday.
dodgy builder
#7733 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 1:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Drakron
You mean like how they did that with My First Pet were people were understandable pissed about a content in a Stuff Pack requiring a Expansion?

Oh yes, that pack. I didn't buy that pack, I thought I could do without the content. I guess this is what they could have had a online shop, where people can buy what they want. They didn't want to do that, was a bit silly. Sometimes people buy more if they can pick and choose, than if they are forced to buy something they don't want. Making it compatible though might be more of a challenge.
Scholar
#7734 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 2:08 PM
They are in this predicament because those came out in stuff packs BEFORE Seasons.

You yourself testify at the outrage people have against their choice to include the three Spooky items (which people had to buy before in its own pack) in Seasons. Can you imagine the Armageddon that will happen when they reuse actual gameplay objects from past packs in this one pack? People who has bought the packs before will protest or demand their money back lol.

A good solution might have been creating new objects with the same or very similar functions. While I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, I recall that EA has done this before.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
Instructor
#7735 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 2:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I guess this is what they could have had a online shop, where people can buy what they want.

They had that during TS2-TS3 Era, it was The SIms 2/3 Store.

But despite working that way at the start of TS3, it quickly became about Sets, the current Stuff Packs are pretty much the Store sets and even if you can "buy what you want" (TS3 Store is still up) you have buy then using SimPoints that is one of those currencies you have to buy so in the end you end spending the same anyway or more, for example 2400 SimPoints is €14 and the Deliciously Indulgent Bakery set on the TS3 Store containing 16 items with 2 being gameplay items and a premade lot costs 1900 Sim points, now a Stuff Pack costs €9.99 so its about the same amount of content more or less but €4 cheaper since you will end with unused SimPoints.

Also they are not going to sell directly individual items because due to charges if the item is not over 50 cents then just in transfer costs most of the price will go to then, one of the reasons of why they use those currencies is that selling then in bulk amounts offset payment costs so unless you want then to sell items for €2 its a problem, they certainly taken points from The Store in relation on how people brought things there and Sim Packs are what they learned from that.

And I dont think they are wrong on what they did, having a The Sims 4 Store would be a worst deal because as I pointed Sims 3 Store Sets cost more that Stuff Packs and even if you could just buy individual items SimPoints that have to be brought in bulk would still force you to spend at least €7 and 1000 points would only be enough to buy 2 gameplay objects, I come to see Stuff Packs for what they seem to been intended ... they replace The Sims Store Sets and so I dont have to buy then all.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#7736 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 5:02 PM
I don't know whether this is really better, because Sims 3 had one advantage that 4 doesn't: all major pack code has been patched into the base game (since Generations) and so you could buy a hot tub at the Store instead of having to buy the Late Night EP; same with washing machines or rocking chairs or whatever.
Field Researcher
#7737 Old 1st Jul 2018 at 6:16 PM
https://youtu.be/wuDMxTL6DCw

Winter comparison.
Scholar
#7738 Old 1st Jul 2018 at 7:27 PM
I keep forgetting how impressive the snowfall animation was in The Sims 2 Seasons. It's probably easily the best, most realistic snowfall animation I have ever seen in any game I have ever played. I do like the blowing snow animation in The Sims 4, though.

And I'll just say this: Even though the lack of snow depth is a major point against The Sims 4 visually, the amount of detail put into the plants and terrain changing with the seasons really makes a HUGE difference for me versus The Sims 2 and 3. I can forgive The Sims 2 for that (being the first instance that Seasons had been tried in the series), but The Sims 3 having flowering bushes in the dead of winter is just super awkward.

In The Sims 4 winter actually looks like winter, even without snow. I did not expect this level of detail from The Sims 4 for even one second. I'm still in awe that they actually did this.

Not my screenshot, it's from the OF Seasons picture topic.

Field Researcher
#7739 Old 1st Jul 2018 at 9:09 PM
I keep forgetting how impressive the snowfall animation was in The Sims 2 Seasons. It's probably easily the best, most realistic snowfall animation I have ever seen in any game I have ever played. I do like the blowing snow animation in The Sims 4, though.

And I'll just say this: Even though the lack of snow depth is a major point against The Sims 4 visually, the amount of detail put into the plants and terrain changing with the seasons really makes a HUGE difference for me versus The Sims 2 and 3. I can forgive The Sims 2 for that (being the first instance that Seasons had been tried in the series), but The Sims 3 having flowering bushes in the dead of winter is just super awkward.

In The Sims 4 winter actually looks like winter, even without snow. I did not expect this level of detail from The Sims 4 for even one second. I'm still in awe that they actually did this.

Yes. Despite the graphic style of the Sims 4, it shows an atmosphere of winter, rain, thunderstorms.

I like the rain in the Sims 2. It really sounds like real rain. And the sound of thunder is very realistic and frightening, like a real thunderstorm.

And in the Sims 3 I like what the world looks like when it's bad weather. Especially from the top.
Field Researcher
#7740 Old 1st Jul 2018 at 9:43 PM

The reason Sims 2 has such a smooth and delicate snow animation is because it is an illusion. Unlike TS3 and TS4 Seasons, the weather effects (rain, snow, hail) do not actually happen in the 3D world. The game basically plasters a gif (not actually a gif) on your screen to give you the illusion that it's raining or snowing. The screen effect slightly moves when you tilt the camera up or down, but it does not have depth and thus moving the camera around the world does nothing. Entering an indoor space will instantly remove the screen effect and exiting it will cause it to start from the beginning. This also means that you cannot actually see rain or snow falling if you have the camera indoors and looking through a window to the outside. It took me many years to realize it, so at least they did a good job at creating a believable illusion. Originally, The Sims 2 base game was going to have weather but they scrapped it due to an issue that caused the weather effects to go through roofs and ceilings. (There are a couple of videos of TS2 being shown at E3 or something, before its release date.) I guess they never managed to get that working properly for Seasons, so they just decided to go with a simple screen animation.
Forum Resident
#7741 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 7:06 PM
https://simsvip.com/2018/10/08/the-...trailer-teaser/

Always wanted a Superstars remake, I hope it's not too easy to get famous.

Edit: It's not clear if it's an EP yet or something else, but this is wishful thinking...
Mad Poster
#7742 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 7:15 PM
I'd be more excited for this if Sacrificial hadn't beaten them to it. In any case, I hope the fame/celebrity system isn't as wonky as it is in TS3.

The Receptacle still lives!
Forum Resident
#7743 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 7:39 PM
Superstar is my favourite EP in the series (alongside Makin' Magic) so if this new EP is going to be similar I'll be genuinely looking forward to it.
Forum Resident
#7744 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 8:19 PM
http://simscommunity.info/2018/10/0...-this-november/
Supposedly it's coming out on November 6th.

If the new world happens to be some sort of Hollywood Hills type of affair, that might well explain why we're getting terrain manipulation tools at around the same time...
Mad Poster
#7745 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 8:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Shall we pull out our myshuno cards and start playing a good ol game of bingo? Here's how we play it. I call out a random prediction out ,one day per week, of the table, and If you-you foresee the following result occurring within the game before the thing is announced/leaked (no cheating!) by a guru, stamp that box. The Player that marks all the boxes shouts "Bingo!" and wins.

Can the first prediction be whether or not celebrities are only accessible in the new world

The Receptacle still lives!
Mad Poster
#7746 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 8:48 PM
Shall we pull out our myshuno cards and start playing a good ol game of bingo? Here's how we play it. I call out a random prediction out ,one day per week, of the table, and If your first to witness the following result is taking place / present, stamp that box. The Player that marks all the boxes shouts "Bingo!" as the first, (s)he wins the game. No cheating tho!

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Forum Resident
#7747 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 9:19 PM
I'm really "meh" about it. I just don't want more content that focuses on fame and partying.
Instead of "style influencer" I want careers like military, teachers, plumbers, farmers. Instead of "pet instagram" I want seeing-eye dogs, police dogs, therapy dogs. Instead of an EP that focuses on fame and success I want farming, occults, hotels, better elders and babies, new vacations, more dangers.

Well, glad for everyone who wished for something like this (I know many did), but I just don't want to play "Young Adult Party Simulator" all the time. Though if it's an EP then maybe it'll have more to it than just some celebrity system.
Mad Poster
#7748 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 9:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hiabara
]s. Instead of an EP that focuses on fame and success I want farming, occults, hotels, better elders and babies, new vacations, more dangers.

Would game packs would do it?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Forum Resident
#7749 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 10:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Would game packs would do it?

Considering the quality of the EP so far I would gladly take GP as well
Forum Resident
#7750 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 11:32 PM
so if fame expansion is coming then road too fame be outdated when it comes out.
Locked thread
Page 310 of 447