Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 5:25 PM
Default Help Fixing my UV Map/Texture
Hi,

I'm trying to learn how to create objects in blender, and I've got it pretty much down. I've been able to get my object into the game, and the mesh itself looks great, and everything works properly, but I keep having an issue with my texture.

No matter what I try, It always comes out looking like I didn't map it (see attachment). I've done all the mapping work in blender, made sure to edit the dds images to fit the map, and I get no errors anywhere in the blender process. Everything looks perfect in Blender. I'm pretty sure something is wrong with the UV map, like I'm missing a step somewhere, but I have no idea what it is. Everything I try still gets me back to this problem.

Anyone know how to fix this? -Thanks!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 12:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ladymumm
Hi,

I'm trying to learn how to create objects in blender, and I've got it pretty much down. I've been able to get my object into the game, and the mesh itself looks great, and everything works properly, but I keep having an issue with my texture.

No matter what I try, It always comes out looking like I didn't map it (see attachment). I've done all the mapping work in blender, made sure to edit the dds images to fit the map, and I get no errors anywhere in the blender process. Everything looks perfect in Blender. I'm pretty sure something is wrong with the UV map, like I'm missing a step somewhere, but I have no idea what it is. Everything I try still gets me back to this problem.

Anyone know how to fix this? -Thanks!
That looks like a problem with your specular img.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 1:06 AM
I don't think so. I just went and edited my specular to be blank, and it still looks the same.
Alchemist
#4 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 1:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ladymumm
I don't think so. I just went and edited my specular to be blank, and it still looks the same.
Did you clear your caches or fix it before looking at it again?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 1:41 AM
Just tried both of those, no change

I still think it might be a problem with my UV mapping, because when I look at the surface of my table, I can see a squashed version of my multiplier image there. It's like the whole image is being plastered onto the surface because there's no map to tell it what parts go where.
Screenshots
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#6 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 2:23 AM
Did you apply an Edge Split modifier? If edges are split on you map and not on you mesh it won't look right in-game no matter how pretty it looks in Blender.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Alchemist
#7 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 2:37 AM
I thought that too. Another issue could be tiling.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 2:47 AM
Yep, I did. I saw a post about this in another thread, and I definitely thought that would solve my problems, but it didn't seem to change anything. I may have done it wrong though.

As I understand it, the edge split modifier basically duplicates edges on the mesh that are split on the map, right? If that's what's supposed to happen, it seems I did it right.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#9 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 3:26 AM
Mind posting your package? We could take a look at it...

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 4:20 AM
Sure thing. Thanks! I really appreciate your help. This problem has been driving me crazy for a really long time.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  ladymumm_AngularTable.rar (77.8 KB, 11 downloads) - View custom content
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#11 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 5:02 AM
The map is borked. After you added the modifier, did you apply it? Modifiers in Blender are temporary unless you apply them, so if you didn't apply it it was lost on export.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 5:36 AM
Yep. I applied it. but I may have done things in the wrong order or something. I'll go try it again and see if I can fix it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 7:10 PM
Still not working. Could you give me a quick rundown of how and when to apply the edge modifier? There must be something wrong with the way I've been doing it.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#14 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 7:37 PM
It's best to apply it before you swap your mesh with the original. I would do everything I'm going to do to the mesh before the mesh swap, so after, all you have to do is assign the bones and export.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 9:15 PM
I just tried all that, and it definitely looks better, but there's STILL problems! I hate to ask, but do you think you could take a look at my blender file and see if you can find where I'm going wrong?
Attached files:
File Type: rar  AngularTable.rar (48.4 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#16 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 11:55 PM
TBO, I don't know what it is. The only way I could get it to work was to remap it. What version of S3PE are you using?

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 25th Aug 2011 at 12:00 AM
I'm using v.11-0402-0951. It's also the 64bit version, if that matters.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 20th Sep 2011 at 2:32 PM
I think I am having this same problem. I get a working UV map only if I go with the generated cube projection.

Look at the images below. On the left I have generated the UV map with cube projection and then rearranged it. On the right is the same map without arranging. Previews are from TSRW.

For this particular object I generated the UV map first and exported to TSRW to see that the mapping is correct. After that I arranged the parts in the generated map, and it stopped working. After that I went back to Blender and regenerated the UV map and BAM, its working again.

Pity that the default mapping won't do for this object. How do I fix this?

I have tried most of the mapping options that Blender has. Unwrapping and smart projection both result in borked mapping. At worst I have had 3-4 faces messed up like this.

If I import the exported mesh back to Blender, the UV map looks ok, it does not distort like it does when edges are not splitted right.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#19 Old 20th Sep 2011 at 4:24 PM
The Edge split modifier does not split the mesh according to the UV map, it does it according to angles. You have to to manually split the edges at the same places they are in the UV. Parts of the UV map (in Blender at least) are called islands. If you want the top of the table to be a island by itself, you have to select those faces and press Y to split them from the rest of the mesh. Then with it still selected(and nothing else), you unwrap using the regular unwrap option. Then in the Tools shelf you will have unwrapping options. Change the Method to conformal. Move it somewhere off the UV map, deselect it then move on to the next island you want and repeat the process. Do this until you have the whole mesh unwrapped, then select the all faces. In the UV editor, go to UVs->Average island scale. Then place everything on the map the way you want it.

This is the way I do it. It's not the conventional way to unwrap meshes, but it works for the game.

Also, when I say 'apply' a modifier, that is different from just 'adding' a modifier. When you add a modifier, it shows you the resulting changes to the mesh, but no changes are actually made. It isn't until you press 'apply'(in Object mode) in the modifier that the mesh gets changed.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 20th Sep 2011 at 7:23 PM
Thank you, again!

I got it working doing the mapping like you explained. But then I noticed that one of the table legs was against the wood grain, went back to mapping and rotated that island. After that I had the same problem again. Lucky me, I had the working version saved.

It's not perfect, but the glitch is now so small that no-one will notice and most of the wood textures do not have noticeable grain direction anyway.

All the splitted edges are the same as they were in my original version (I tested all my splits by moving the faces), but I originally UV mapped using marked seams and afterwards used Mark Sharp and made the Edge Split for all parts using those sharp marks (not angles). I did not realize there could be a difference between the Edge Split and just splitting with Y. Splitting all edges with Edge Split and then constructing the UV map did not work either.

I updated my workflow in Blender Tools thread so that next newbie hopefully does not make the same mistakes.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 30th Sep 2011 at 6:22 PM
I am still struggling with this bug. With cmomoney's tutorial I am able to get the mapping right, but I always end up needing some changes to the mapping and get this bug.

This one was almost ready, but then I noticed that the texture was a bit blurred and wanted to allocate more space for the table top in the UV map. Couple of resizes, rotates and graps - and here we go again!

˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#22 Old 30th Sep 2011 at 6:52 PM
Let's see the map.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Sockpuppet
#23 Old 30th Sep 2011 at 8:49 PM
Altho some 3d programs have UV mappin options they will never give the perfect result as when you uvmap the parts yourself.
Instructor
#24 Old 1st Oct 2011 at 2:26 AM
I agree with Bloombase, the reason the sides of your mesh look the way they do is, because you didn't UV map them separately.

I suggest you try UV mapper, it's free and does a great job, but you would need to UV map your mesh by hand.

Meshes in the Sims 3 need to be UV mapped separately, not like in the Sims 2, where you would have gotten away with mapping it like you did above.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 1st Oct 2011 at 8:14 AM
BloomsBase, Dee, I think the mapping and splits are ok in principle as they worked in the game before I needed changes. I love the UV mapper of Blender as it is really easy to use and all the mapping was done with that, part by part, as cmomoney explains in his tutorial here: Creating_An_End_Table_In_Blender_2.5_Part_2 .

I actually already released this object for testing, you can see in that thread how the mapping and textures looked before the change: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=456657

Here are the maps for the Muurame unit (3-drawers):

On the left is the one that works, on the right is the one that does not. All I did was to re-arrange the parts - I did no remap anything.

I did the changes, because patterns looked a bit stretched in the game. Then I found this explanation by Cyclonesue about how the part of the object needs to use a part in the UV map that is relative to its size in game: What size should my textures be. So, I figured out that as the drawer width is one tile, it's width in map should be near to 256 pixels for patterns to show correctly. And they did - but with "benefits" of borked sides.

And here is the same situation for the woodblock table (that was shown in my previous post in this thread):

Again, the one on the left works, the one on the right does not work.

Here I did the change because I noticed that the original mapping was unbakable (because the table top and downside overlap), plus the wood grain did not align nicely at the end of the table. In the new mapping it would also have been easier to draw in some edge highlights in multiplier.

I must say that I prefer the clean look of the leftmost mapping of the Muurame drawers and if there is a way to fix the things that I need fixed without changing the UV map, I'd love to learn it. Maybe I need to start with a bigger object, that comes with a 512x512 multiplier?

Anyway, I am sick and tired of redoing my UV maps over and over again. I should be able to put the parts on top of each other, right? I should be able to rotate the islands and change their position in the map? And I should be able to do that at any time I want?
Page 1 of 2