Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Mar 2018 at 8:00 PM
Default Installed CAW on new computer - now EIG crashes on load
Ok I'm trying to get to the bottom of what's going on and would appreciate any ideas or suggestions. Here's the quick(ish) summary:

Started building world on old computer (Windows 10) - had good amount of store and custom content installed in the game. EIG ran with no problems. Had built and decorated one house that was copied to several more lots in the world.
Got awesome new computer for my birthday (Alienware Aurora with Windows 10). Game runs GREAT!
Installed CAW and copied world folder over with all world files and folders from old computer to new computer. EIG runs fine, but I didn't have some of the store and custom content installed that I had on my old computer.
Installed all store content and some custom content on new computer, now EIG crashes during or shortly after load.
Experimented with deleting lots in world, thinking that one might have gotten corrupted somehow, but EIG still crashes.
Also tried creating new world on new computer and EIG still crashes.

I want to be able to use the store content in my world / lots. Do I just have too much? I went back and uninstalled all of the clothing & hair, and all that is installed now are lot-related store items. Is there a sweet spot? My computer is fairly beastly so it should be able to handle it. Is there just something I'm missing?
Advertisement
Space Pony
#2 Old 19th Mar 2018 at 4:48 AM
Did you run through the CAW crash checklist? At least cleaning caches and removing all CC/ store content?
If so try
" What you can try to do is restore your world from one of the backup folders of the world in your UserToolData/Worlds folder. There should be several from before the current save that is causing you trouble. Load one of those folders, see if that helps. You might lose some progress but at least you'll get your world back." this is from thesims1depot I did what they suggested and it fixed EIG for me, it's still buggy. But I'm saving more frequently than when EIG starts acting up I have a newer backup to try.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Mar 2018 at 5:35 PM
I have read through numerous threads regarding CAW crashing, but I have not come across a "checklist." I did search the Create a World forum for that term but didn't produce any results. Could you be so kind as to point me in the right direction?

I did uninstall all of my store content and EIG worked fine for me yesterday. Note that I did have a good amount of store content (but not -all- of it) installed on my older, drastically inferior computer and EIG ran fine. Maybe I should try copying exactly the store content I had on my old computer to my new computer and testing that. I was wondering if there has been any research on how much store content is the "sweet spot" with EIG.

So thankfully it's not my world file having been corrupted. WHEW! Thank you for the help, @ruffdog24!
Field Researcher
#4 Old 19th Mar 2018 at 6:08 PM
Usually, when EIG crashes on loadup, it's because a lot has become corrupted.
In your case, it could've been a coincidence that EIG crashed on your new computer. In other words, your last save before you moved your content to your new computer could've been already corrupted. It just so happens that the next time you opened EIG and encountered the problem, it was on your new machine. But one (moving content to new machine) might not have had anything to do with the other (EIG crashing).

So yes, you should definitely do this:

Quote:
Maybe I should try copying exactly the store content I had on my old computer to my new computer and testing that.

Also, only copy your world files over (world folder + .settings + .world file). Don't copy anything else.

If after all this, EIG crashes again, try restoring a back up version of your world in the UserToolData/Worlds folder (you will see a bunch of folders with your world's name on them, followed by "Backup" and a time stamp). You will lose a little progress since the previous save but at least you will have your world back.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 20th Mar 2018 at 12:55 AM
I have two windows user accounts... one to play Sims with lots of CC, another to run CAW/EIG, because too much CC does that.

Sims are better than us.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 20th Mar 2018 at 1:13 PM
Easier solution i can think is to just rename your normal sims 3 folder..And let the game generate a new one and use that one for CAW..
When u are done just rename the second one and use your original sims 3 folder for gameplay.. (Hope im making sense XD)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Mar 2018 at 5:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
I have two windows user accounts... one to play Sims with lots of CC, another to run CAW/EIG, because too much CC does that.

You, sir, are a platinum certified genius. That's an excellent idea!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Mar 2018 at 5:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thesims1depot
Usually, when EIG crashes on loadup, it's because a lot has become corrupted.
In your case, it could've been a coincidence that EIG crashed on your new computer. In other words, your last save before you moved your content to your new computer could've been already corrupted. It just so happens that the next time you opened EIG and encountered the problem, it was on your new machine. But one (moving content to new machine) might not have had anything to do with the other (EIG crashing).

So yes, you should definitely do this:

Also, only copy your world files over (world folder + .settings + .world file). Don't copy anything else.

If after all this, EIG crashes again, try restoring a back up version of your world in the UserToolData/Worlds folder (you will see a bunch of folders with your world's name on them, followed by "Backup" and a time stamp). You will lose a little progress since the previous save but at least you will have your world back.

But I tried deleting all of the built lots in my world and running EIG and it still crashed. I'll keep tinkering with it. Thank you for the suggestions!
Field Researcher
#9 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 1:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Crashley1784
But I tried deleting all of the built lots in my world and running EIG and it still crashed. I'll keep tinkering with it. Thank you for the suggestions!

Don't delete any lots.

Like I said before, if you plan on going back to the beginning (fresh reinstall of CAW, TS3), only transfer your world files to CAW from your old computer again to a fresh reinstall of CAW, only transfer the world files. Don't transfer any other files or folders. Then restore your world from one of the backup folders inside of /UserToolData/Worlds just to see what happens. If a lot isn't causing the crash, it could be something else you added to your world. If that is the case, if you restore one of your older saves, you will get your world back.

If that isn't the case (and there's something else afoot), we will have to figure out what to do next. But we won't know for sure if you don't at least try this avenue first. I know how annoying and tedious it is to go through all of this nonsense but unfortunately, you have to exhaust every possibility before you can drill down what the issue is.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 8:39 PM Last edited by Crashley1784 : 21st Mar 2018 at 10:01 PM.
Ok, so I removed all of the store content from my game and EIG isn't crashing on load anymore (yay) BUT... now (since yesterday), EIG is freezing when I go from editing a lot back to Edit Town to save. I just tried uninstalling and reinstalling CAW and only copying my world files (.world, .settings, and the world folder) over to the new install, but that didn't help. OMG I'm seriously nearly at my wit's end with this CRAP.

EDIT: So I did some testing and determined that the Edit Town Freeze only happens when I place a buy debug item on the lot. I tested in two worlds: the world I've been working on, and on Riverview Lite (previously never used). I placed a lot in Riverview and placed some "normal" items and was able to switch back and forth between Edit Town just fine. As soon as I placed a buydebug item (any item - tested with several), the game freezes when I try to go to Edit Town. Note that I did turn Buydebug off before I tried to go back into edit town. I've searched and not found much helpful info on this specific topic. Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT 2: After doing some more reading and research, I deleted the storefix files from my Sims 3 Overrides folder, and that seems to have done the trick.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 10:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Crashley1784
EDIT 2: After doing some more reading and research, I deleted the storefix files from my Sims 3 Overrides folder, and that seems to have done the trick.

So everything is OK now?