Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Mar 2018 at 7:04 AM
Default Need a bit of help with footprint issue
I downloaded a medieval stove that takes 6 squares but IMO it should only take 4. Normally it sets out a bit from the wall despite having a piece of rock (chimney-like) thats supposed to go against the wall. I was successful in using footsie to make it so it took 4 squares and it can now go back against the wall and looks better. The sims can successfully back i it, and I thought it looked like I got what I wanted until I attempted to make a sim cook on the oven top. Disaster struck then as the sim had a route failure saying the stove itself was in their way to cook on the stove. Now I don't know what to do as this is really my first attempt at this - esp with a functional object like this. Please can someone help me?
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 18th Mar 2018 at 9:43 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that there are 3 types of footprints:

For pathing
For placement
for enabling... still no idea what that is!

but all of those speak for themselves. When editing in footsie, there are specific flagments that shows it. The reason why some objects have 6 tiles is just due to the fact that the script needs some sort of 'waiting and let's go to that object' area where the sim can go, else there will guaranteed be routing issues like you're experiencing

But, of course there is a way to fix this!

So in Footsie, first thing you see is:

This is, as displayed, the 'placement' version of your footprint. This one you can easily edit into 4 tiles.

Now, what EA did (And that's more of a 'scripting purposes' so it makes things easier) Is splitting the 2 from each other. So the bit where the object is standing on is an individual one like here:

Whereas the other bit, where the sim routes to the object is right here:

Whatever you do, do NOT edit the 'pathing' flagged footprints. This sure will screw everything up. I'm not sure if you've edited those and maybe that screwed things up? I did the same thing with my pet beds where I edited the placement but not the pathing and my pets aren't having any trouble getting onto it.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Mar 2018 at 1:59 PM Last edited by t888 : 18th Mar 2018 at 2:32 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Lyralei
One thing to keep in mind is that there are 3 types of footprints:

For pathing
For placement
for enabling... still no idea what that is!

but all of those speak for themselves. When editing in footsie, there are specific flagments that shows it. The reason why some objects have 6 tiles is just due to the fact that the script needs some sort of 'waiting and let's go to that object' area where the sim can go, else there will guaranteed be routing issues like you're experiencing

But, of course there is a way to fix this!

So in Footsie, first thing you see is:

This is, as displayed, the 'placement' version of your footprint. This one you can easily edit into 4 tiles.

Now, what EA did (And that's more of a 'scripting purposes' so it makes things easier) Is splitting the 2 from each other. So the bit where the object is standing on is an individual one like here:

Whereas the other bit, where the sim routes to the object is right here:

Whatever you do, do NOT edit the 'pathing' flagged footprints. This sure will screw everything up. I'm not sure if you've edited those and maybe that screwed things up? I did the same thing with my pet beds where I edited the placement but not the pathing and my pets aren't having any trouble getting onto it.

Oh crap, you just made things a lot clearer and I see a huge problem. This particular model has 2 ftpt in different files, one is the 6 tiles (the other says slot area not foot print area), I know that much and it has inside only the 1 numbered footprint area and it has BOTH 'For Placement' and 'For Pathing' checked. So thats the problem. Now I know the solution: go back to the original, duplicate the 1 numbered area and check in one 'For Pathing' the other 'For placing' and then edit only the 'for placing' one. That worked! So thanks a lot!