Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 1:53 PM Last edited by alverdine : 12th Mar 2018 at 2:03 PM.
Default Trying to eliminate the blue tint to indoor ambient lighting and outdoor reflections
You know that blue tint to the ambient light when there's no other light source in a room? Anyone know how could I get rid of that?

Example
Room with white walls and floors, no windows but has a light source:

Light turned off:

What It should look like (more or less):

The blue tint presents itself in other aspects as well, such as reflective surfaces outdoors - even when using a global lighting mod without a blueish hue. Things like shiny cars, roofs with a slight sheen, glossy metal surfaces, and unrendered windows on lots show blue reflections instead of the true colour of light surrounding it.

Examples

Note the sides of cars and unrendered windows on the lots in the background

It makes the furthest windows and doors stick out unnaturally

Shiny car indoors = good reflections

Shiny car outdoors = >:[ ...note the lamp post base too

Roof reflections

Same thing during the day

All of these issues present themselves in daytime too, it's just more noticeable at night and on darker colours.

I've tried editing the CustomLightRigging INI (both from the fullbuild and deltabuild) which has a section that looks like this:

Quote:
;Note: direction vectors are toward the light, rather than from.
;First value is Horiz Positional Translation
;Second value is Vert Positional Translation
;Third value is Rotation

[CAS]
Direction0 = (-.5, 0.3, .5)
;(1, 0.8, 0.8)
Color0 = ( 1, 1, 1)
Intensity0 = .8
;0.7
;1 <--- front

Direction1 = (-.5, -2.5, 0)
; (-1, 0, 1)
Color1 = (1, .5, .5)
Intensity1 = .1
;0.2
;0.3
;0.5 <-- left side; red kick

Direction2 = (-.5, -.5, -.5)
Color2 = (1, 1, .8)
Intensity2 = .5
;0.2
;0.4 < -- up

Direction3 = (.5, -.3, -0.5)
Color3 = (.7, .7, 1)
Intensity3 = 1
;1.3
;0.23 extreme right; blue rim

VertexDirection0 = (1.0, 0.2, 1.0)
;(-1.0, 0.2, 1.0)
VertexColor0 = (1, 1, 1)
VertexIntensity0 = 0.3

;VertexDirection1 = (-1.0, 1.0, -1.0)
;VertexColor1 = (0, 1, 1)
;VertexIntensity1 = .5

[Highlight]
Direction0 = (1.0, 0.5, 1.0)
Color0 = ( 1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
Intensity0 = 1.5

Direction1 = (-1.0, 0.5, -1.0)
Color1 = ( 1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
Intensity1 = 1.5

Direction2 = (1.0, 0.5, -1.0)
Color2 = ( 1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
Intensity2 = 1.5

Direction3 = (-1.0, .5, 1.0)
Color3 = ( 1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
Intensity3 = 1.5

[NoLight]
Direction0 =(0.1, 1.0, 0.3)
Color0 = (0.5,0.55,0.9)
Intensity0 = 0.9

Direction1 =(0.0, 0.7, -0.7)
Color1 = (0.1,0.2,0.3)
Intensity1 = 1

Direction2 =(-1.0, -0.5, -1.0)
Color2 = (0.2,0.2,0.5)
Intensity2 = 1

but it doesn't seem to change anything. Could this be something to do with the colour ramps? A different INI file that I haven't been able to track down, or is it something in the game engine that can't be remedied? Appreciate it if anyone could steer me in the right direction, thanks
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 4:23 PM
Sims 3 lighting is the worst
Thank you for making the post. I hope someone is able to help!

≧▽≦
Mad Poster
#3 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 5:39 PM
I think outside lighting is determined by weather INIs. Alternatively, I think the blue tint sometimes disappears if you switch between night and day in the buy/build mode.

From Awesims.

Check the top few bars for sunlight colour.

However, I think interior lighting is determined elsewhere.
Screenshots
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Mar 2018 at 3:38 AM
Do you mean the colour ramps? The INIs only seem to determine things like clouds, bloom, star intensity, and fog.
The colour ramps I'm using don't have any blue in the top few bars, and the only thing I could find which I thought would relate to indoor lighting was that CustomLightRigging INI. Also I've never noticed the blue tint disappearing when switching between day and night mode - but I wouldn't consider that a solution anyway.

It seems to me like the blue reflections on outdoor objects are unrelated to the weather files and more tied to whatever governs the hue of the indoor ambient lighting though (for whatever reason)
Mad Poster
#5 Old 19th Mar 2018 at 3:14 PM
I have issues with day/night lighting as well - my lot will always have the daytime lighting model when the game is first loaded regardless of what the current time is. This means that the entire house is engulfed in bright, creamy natural light coming through the windows when really, it should be dark and lit only by various shades of yellow and pink.
Of course in that case all it takes is popping into Buy Mode, pressing L twice and going back to Live Mode, but it's a very TS3 sort of solution to a very TS3 sort of problem.

Have you tried, as an experiment, getting rid of all the blues in the color ramp? Say if you replaced all the blues with bright reds, would that affect that nasty blue hue you get on your cars at night?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Apr 2018 at 10:59 AM
I get that brightness bug too sometimes when I switch from build/buy mode to live mode, I didn't realise there was a fix for it - I'll try that next time!
Hmm switching out all the blues seems like an interesting experiment, I'll give that a try too n report back. I really wanna get to the bottom of this as it bothers me a lot
Mad Poster
#7 Old 2nd May 2018 at 1:06 AM
So.....any results? It hasn't been much of an issue for me lately but should you find out anything interesting, I'll want to update my color ramps as well.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 5:37 PM
Any updates?
Field Researcher
#9 Old 6th Feb 2019 at 11:24 AM
@alverdine

Is your weird blue shiny around all the time?

I noticed something when working on my weather mod; mine comes on when I go from fullscreen to desktop and back.
This is my game full screen, I haven't minimised it once since starting the game:

After hitting win-key and going back fullscreen:

I did not do anything else than minimise the game and go back fullscreen to get these screenshots.

Btw, blue tint or not, your game is #AestheticGoals.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 6th Feb 2019 at 5:50 PM
Yeah.....the game has some issues like that. I've had Bridgeport being bright green, bright yellow and bright red after coming back from a vacation. When I load into the game at night, as I said, most of my lots will have light coming in through the windows. Sometimes all the exterior lights turn on randomly at daytime. This game has an issue or two.

insert signature here
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 28th May 2019 at 1:21 PM
This is tied to another issue that hasn't been fixed ever since it's been discovered. It's about the sky 'layers' or whatever, disappearing, which happens more often in custom worlds than in EA worlds. I don't know if it has anything to do with having a custom lighting mod or playing in a custom world but, sims 3 outdoor ambience and sky lighting is usually bugged like that and there's no other way to fix it except reloading the save or sometimes just reloading the whole game. Devs have known about this but could never fix it.

Not sure about the blue indoor hue, that seems like it should be easily changeable. Might look into that myself eventually if I find the right files, tho I'm unsure my game has the same look. I'll have to check that first.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 30th Sep 2019 at 9:49 PM
Hello! Could anyone point me where the CustomLightRigging.ini is, Ive looked high and low and cant find it
Mad Poster
#13 Old 1st Oct 2019 at 10:53 PM
Should be in FullBuild0 if I'm not mistaken, but chances are each EA world has its own version embedded in the .world file.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#14 Old 12th Oct 2019 at 2:22 AM
One thing I also hope- I wonder if there's any way to make objects catch light more easily, especially at night?

I find that TS3 tends to be pretty awful in terms of light falloff, where objects tend to be lit evenly per unit, rather than as a gradient (like in many other games).

That means that objects like roof cornices are never really lit evenly, and large objects like rugs have a tendency to be unlit if the lights are too far away.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 12th Oct 2019 at 2:52 AM
Try getting a kitchen to look good in a room with strong directional lighting. Every counter a different shade, you say?

insert signature here