Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jan 2018 at 6:42 PM
Default Needing a bit of insperation
Hey guys,
So I've been working on a world on and off for about five years now. It's almost done as in just need to place a few houses and build a couple of community lots. However, I've realized I'm not happy with it. So I'm wanting to completely restart. I'm just needing a bit of inspiration for the layout of my world. I know that I want mountains that lead down into a valley of sorts and than a beach. However, beyond that I'm not entirely sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, also any tips on how I could possibly salvage my currant world would be nice.
Thanks!
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Jan 2018 at 7:26 PM
Post some pictures of what you have done so far- perhaps people could make suggestions based on that.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Jan 2018 at 9:17 PM
I just feel this currant world is messy and unorganized. Plus I wanted as many things for my sims to do in the world as possible. They tend to end up going stir crazy so I figured having community lots where they can work on skills, or just enjoy the new items that have come along in the expansion packs would help.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#4 Old 8th Jan 2018 at 9:55 PM
We would need to see a lot more pics, but I think it looks interesting from what I can see. I think it has potential. I would not scrap it at least yet. If wanted, start something new and then come back to it. I have a few worlds in progress now.
Scholar
#5 Old 9th Jan 2018 at 4:35 AM
I think it looks very interesting and I love the area with all the waterfalls! As daisylee said, more pictures would help but I'd suggest maybe the center area be a "city" commercial/community lot core with small residential areas - perhaps wealthy - on either side of it. Then, two more secondary commercial/community lot areas with nearby residential areas in the two more developed areas. The beaches and peninsulas look like good places for ports / diving lots if you have the IP expansion pack. If you have Pets, the area in the bottom right of the picture looks like it would be good for farms/ranches. More information about what expansion packs you have / want to use would also be helpful. You could also consider posting it and asking for assistance with building lots. Sometimes that's the most time consuming part of a project. And/or, take a break for a while like suggested. You've put so much work into it, I'd hate to see you scrap it at this point. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 9th Jan 2018 at 4:38 PM Last edited by Anno2015 : 9th Jan 2018 at 9:05 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
We would need to see a lot more pics, but I think it looks interesting from what I can see. I think it has potential. I would not scrap it at least yet. If wanted, start something new and then come back to it. I have a few worlds in progress now.

double agree;

in basics: you gave us info ->slope coast city
google on pics with those terms and towns from in Greece till South Africa show themselves = tons of inspiration

When you have such thing in mind the forum will help you guide to develop if needed!

2nd X agree:
just start a new world; don't delete this one (!!) building a new concept can help you be more creative elsewhere (such as in this case on this town you're building). Saving a world from CAW or in game isn't that much Mb's... I made many worlds some for 5% other for 90/100% (depends on you view and how much lots you want to keep clear to develop But all helped me learn and be a better builder. I made a desert map with just airport/military bases/(military)schools with A secret base in mind, made a pirate Island, a Jurrasic park town, a savannah and can go on for ages...

But when I make a map now I can make a Pirate Cove, a small (dino) zoo and so on, when you try more you'll know more... (and you made mistakes to learn from in different "exercises")

And then it can be you'll open this map a year later and still want to restart but now with new eyes... inspired on this work (as said: don't throw away so much work, it might be handy later!)

p.s. Save as version {original name} 2, delete roads and lots and just start those over (with if needed minor terrain changes) you can do this many times, the environment stays the same, the city planning changes and you'll lose nothing with it...
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 4:22 AM
From what I can see, it looks rather organized. You have a central downtown area in the middle, with multiple residential and park areas around it. It has the mountains and valley, with the beech/coast. All I can think is to add some sidewalks in the empty bits to the north-west (assuming up is north) of Downtown, between the beech and the waterfalls lake. In these sidewalks, (deleting a bit in the middle) you could place a large community lot with some trees and a pond. All of those sidewalks are to lead to this. This lot could be used as a fishing lot or as a festival lot (from Seasons Expansion). Then, just to place maybe a few more residential lots in the area to the south-east and along that road going north on the peninsula.
Other than that, I see absolutely nothing wrong with this world. Looks sparse/balanced enough to run flawlessly, but with enough variety and space for anything to be included...
Space Pony
Original Poster
#8 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 9:48 PM
So I've been messing around with the terrain, adding parts from other worlds that I like. It's the same layout, just with a bit more visual interest in the layout. Thanks for encouraging me to keep at it! I've been working on this for such a long time now, I think in terms of theme my interests have changed, which resulted in me being unsure about the entire world. I'll post pictures when it isn't such a mess. ^_^
Mad Poster
#9 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 11:05 PM
We do not mind seeing progress pics. All worlds look somewhat odd usually while they are being done. It is fun to see them evolve.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#10 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 8:11 AM
Hey guys,
Sorry been busy with school and have had to fix my computer than restore everything.
Anyway I've got an odd problem, as well as an update on my world.
So the problem is this weird texture LOD thing. At least in EIG part of a chunk of the texture will be that weird plastic brown. If I zoom out the texture is fine. Also it is only on the current area my camera is resting in. I've got pictures of it.
Also I sort of changed the layout of my world. Added a few parts that were my favorite in other worlds. I'm still not 100% on the grass. I feel it's too light, at the same time my last world the grass looking back seemed to dark. Idk I might just have been looking at my newer world too long.
Finally any advice on how to get where the boardwalk meets the rest of the land to not look as weird would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Site Helper
#11 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 5:56 PM
I can't help with most of it, and I'm not sure if even this is helpful, but the bit where the boardwalk meets the land might look less weird if there was a terrain paint like gravel between the road and the boardwalk. Right now it's grass, and it wouldn't stay grass with people walking across it all the time. If it's an abandoned boardwalk, everything would be weeds, and there would probably be holes in it. if it's in more common use, the grass would be worn away by foot traffic. Then people would get tired of tramping through mud and pave it somehow. Gravel is easiest, although eventually people would want to put concrete or asphalt on it so that it doesn't need to keep being tended to.

Don't forget that there is also likely to be a small diagonal trail leading to each side of the "main path" where people don't want to walk all the way down the road to get to it so they cut across. This doesn't affect sim routing, but it looks more like what human behavior produces. This may or may not be "paved" depending on factors like whether you have gravel which spreads or something more solid. And whether or not they simply paved the spots where people walked. (And how insistent people are about "Keep off the grass!")

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Space Pony
Original Poster
#12 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 6:09 PM
Oh, duh! Thank you! Yes that does help, a lot! It just looked so weird and since a lot of the boardwalks where I'm from already have a building and a place for parking around them, I couldn't figure out what was wrong.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 18th Mar 2018 at 5:41 AM
I think it all looks great so far. My only concern are those long and winding roads. There's nothing wrong with those types of roads, per se, especially if they're supposed to lead to a little, out of the way place. I would just be a little careful with how many I place and which lots they lead to. Remember, travel time eats into a sim day. If it takes sims forever to get to a certain location, they will barely have time to do anything at the place once they arrive.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#14 Old 19th Mar 2018 at 4:54 AM
True I didn't take that into consideration I guess I've been working on this world and the older version for so long that I haven't really taken the time to test the travel time. Sort of focused on the rural/ country area of my world that is supposed to have more of the winding roads. But I'll work on the travel time for the winding part around lake. It sort of sucks since I really love that part of my world. :/ But it is supposed to be more of a neighborhood, so idk.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 19th Mar 2018 at 5:18 AM
Depending on your world, maybe add some subways or llamas. I have llamas in my medium size world to cut travel times to some locations. If you plan to upload this when it is done it needs to be playable. I have downloaded gorgeous, huge worlds and deleted them very soon as too hard to navigate around in them.