Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Any Game Starter 3 [Updated: v. 2.6]

by jonha Posted 17th Jun 2010 at 12:44 PM - Updated 1st Dec 2020 at 6:34 PM by jonha

292 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 253 Feedback Posts, 38 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 12
Scholar
#26 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 10:14 PM
wow, another useful tool, big thanks
Instructor
#27 Old 18th Jun 2010 at 12:51 AM
Three cheers for Jonha! This is a supercalafragalisticespialadocious tool, thank you!

Check the Sims 3 EA Freebies List for some awesome freebie downloads!
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 18th Jun 2010 at 1:18 AM
Greece loves you, jonha! You're welcomed
Zombie Socks
#29 Old 18th Jun 2010 at 2:32 AM
*screams like a girl* At last! At last! You are amazing! Thank you SO MUCH!

Nintendork Island | Please call me WWW!| Despite what avatar says, loves all of mts <3
Mad Poster
#30 Old 18th Jun 2010 at 3:36 AM
so far, i've downloaded and tried it. it works just as an any game starter should. i hope you'll be adding more expansion packs to this as they come out though, too.

thank you so much for this. :D
Field Researcher
#31 Old 18th Jun 2010 at 4:29 AM
jonha, a couple of people on #create, including myself, are wondering something that is EXTREMELY important. Will this let us use CAW, if say.. we set the game version and game to WA, and the patch to the patch before the latest one, then in theory it should work? If not, we have to wait another 2 or 3 weeks or however long it takes for them to fix it.

Also, if the answer is that it cant, I am wondering if it would be possible to create a sort of CAW Any Game Starter..

I didn't see you there. Hello. *runs* | Visit my CFF World thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#32 Old 18th Jun 2010 at 5:14 AM Last edited by jonha : 18th Jun 2010 at 11:29 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by hazuitokage
I also was waiting for something like that, but I'm curious about how this works with the patches ? With Ambitions and the latest patch needed for this to work, as you said, will the base anygame that I create be all patched too ?

Edit : I'm asking relative to creation and uploading non-patched base-game compatible items etc, rather than a play point of view, in my case .

AGS3 works with any game version, but if you want to use different mods for different profiles, they need to be moved to the various "profiles". And this is only possible with the latest patch or Ambitions.

Quote: Originally posted by christmas fear
i hope you'll be adding more expansion packs to this as they come out though, too.

Well, as I said, AGS should be able to auto-detect new expansion packs, provided that they use the same registry format, the current EPs do.

Quote: Originally posted by TVRdesigns
jonha, a couple of people on #create, including myself, are wondering something that is EXTREMELY important. Will this let us use CAW, if say.. we set the game version and game to WA, and the patch to the patch before the latest one, then in theory it should work? If not, we have to wait another 2 or 3 weeks or however long it takes for them to fix it.

Also, if the answer is that it cant, I am wondering if it would be possible to create a sort of CAW Any Game Starter..

Sorry, this would be more difficult, as this tool doesn't let you use different game versions.

You should be able to create a CAW Any Game, just by setting the executable in the Add Profile dialog to the CAW.exe instead of the TS3.exe. But this has not been tested (because CAW isn't working since the latest patch) and it isn't officially supported in the current version.
Instructor
#33 Old 18th Jun 2010 at 11:32 AM
Quote:
AGS3 works with any game version, but if you want to use different mods for different profiles, they need to be moved in the various "profiles". And this is only possible with the latest patch or Ambitions.

Soo, if we werent patched to 1.12, we would have to use the program Files root, like everyone else, right??

Is it possible to set a profile to play at a lower game level / patch??
Maybe not in this version, but somehow in a future update?

(())Pass the ribbon around if you know someone that has
//\\survived, died, or is living with cancer.
Test Subject
#34 Old 18th Jun 2010 at 11:47 AM
You are a Evil Genius...I'll test it! And I hope it works on my game installation!

Thanks Jonha!
Scholar
#35 Old 18th Jun 2010 at 11:48 AM
The only way to describe this is , although <3 might also work

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
If this succeeds, then we will have driven a stake through the metaphorical heart of pudding.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Theorist
#36 Old 18th Jun 2010 at 2:04 PM
This is much needed! I was just wondering if there'll be something like AGS for TS3 the other day. Thank you Will try it soon.
Mad Poster
#37 Old 18th Jun 2010 at 2:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jonha

Well, as I said, AGS should be able to auto-detect new expansion packs, provided that they use the same registry format, the current EPs do.

i didn't read that part, sorry.
Scholar
Original Poster
#38 Old 18th Jun 2010 at 4:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fawkes
Soo, if we werent patched to 1.12, we would have to use the program Files root, like everyone else, right??

Right.

Quote:
Is it possible to set a profile to play at a lower game level / patch??
Maybe not in this version, but somehow in a future update?

This is currently not really possible, because the old gamedata files are nowhere saved and are overwritten when patched. You would have to manage different installations and that's currently out of scope.
Instructor
#39 Old 18th Jun 2010 at 4:44 PM
Thanks for the reply!! I really hope its possible someday, but I understand!

(())Pass the ribbon around if you know someone that has
//\\survived, died, or is living with cancer.
Test Subject
#40 Old 18th Jun 2010 at 6:04 PM
I have a question. Is it possible to have downloaded items (ones that you have to use the launcher to download) in one profile but not the other?
Scholar
Original Poster
#41 Old 18th Jun 2010 at 7:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by boyob
I have a question. Is it possible to have downloaded items (ones that you have to use the launcher to download) in one profile but not the other?

Only when you convert them to .package format or when you work with the .dbc (?) files directly, cause at this time you can't start the launcher with a different profile. I will put this on my todo list.
Inventor
#42 Old 18th Jun 2010 at 10:49 PM
Is it possible to use the fpslimiter with this ?
Test Subject
#43 Old 18th Jun 2010 at 11:51 PM
How do I get back my installed downloads and Mods?

I installed your any game starter 3, and made a profile that incorporated TS3, WA and Ambitions, however all my downloads and mods are no longer visible.

So, I uninstalled AGS3 using Windows 7 control panel, programs and features. However when I click on my Ambitions icon on my desktop, it now tells me that Ambitions is at 0.0.0.0 and the downloads area as well as the installed content areas of the launcher are now empty.

I know that the actual download items and folders are still on my hdd as I can see them, however they no longer appear in the launcher. This only happened after I installed AGS3 on my system so I figure removing AGS3 would restore my system to the way it was prior to installing AGS3 but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Something must have been changed that makes TS3, WA or Ambitions look in the wrong place to find my real downloads and mods, so what might that be?
Test Subject
#44 Old 19th Jun 2010 at 1:04 AM
I am confused as to make a new profile. This does allow separate mod installation to different save games, correct? Just making sure, I'm so confused.
Scholar
Original Poster
#45 Old 19th Jun 2010 at 10:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by crinrict
Is it possible to use the fpslimiter with this ?

Yes, just select the executable for your profile, you would launch when using fpslimiter. At least this should work, it has not been tested by me.

Quote: Originally posted by kuplo
How do I get back my installed downloads and Mods?

I installed your any game starter 3, and made a profile that incorporated TS3, WA and Ambitions, however all my downloads and mods are no longer visible.

So, I uninstalled AGS3 using Windows 7 control panel, programs and features. However when I click on my Ambitions icon on my desktop, it now tells me that Ambitions is at 0.0.0.0 and the downloads area as well as the installed content areas of the launcher are now empty.

I know that the actual download items and folders are still on my hdd as I can see them, however they no longer appear in the launcher. This only happened after I installed AGS3 on my system so I figure removing AGS3 would restore my system to the way it was prior to installing AGS3 but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Something must have been changed that makes TS3, WA or Ambitions look in the wrong place to find my real downloads and mods, so what might that be?

Uninstalling doesn't currently restore anything. It is not really needed, as AGS3 shouldn't make permanent changes at all. Maybe you have crashed your game and uninstalled AGS3 directly after that, so it had no chance to restore your settings? Please install AGS3 again, run it one time, and reset the language of the default profile. After that everything should work correctly.

I will try to make my program more robust against this.

Quote: Originally posted by deloach94
I am confused as to make a new profile. This does allow separate mod installation to different save games, correct? Just making sure, I'm so confused.

Correct, each profile will have an own list of save games. And with ambitions or the latest patch you can give each profile it's own mods.
Forum Resident
#46 Old 19th Jun 2010 at 12:42 PM
Hey thanks Just one small thing, when I check World Adventures, HELS or Amb. it doesn't automatically update the path, I have to do it manually.
Scholar
Original Poster
#47 Old 19th Jun 2010 at 5:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by severedsolo
Hey thanks Just one small thing, when I check World Adventures, HELS or Amb. it doesn't automatically update the path, I have to do it manually.

Doesn't matter, you should be able launch AMB or any other EP combination with the basic TS3.exe, too. If this doesn't work, please report it.
Forum Resident
#48 Old 19th Jun 2010 at 10:04 PM
Thank you for the wonderful tool!

I am having a problem though.

Quote: Originally posted by jonha
Doesn't matter, you should be able launch AMB or any other EP combination with the basic TS3.exe, too. If this doesn't work, please report it.

I am running Ambition with all the up to date patches on Windows Vista bit.

I can run the base game fine. I set up a new profile for World Adventures. It did not update the so I did it manually. I got the following message:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the file specified
at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at Jonha.TS3.AnyGameStarter.Program.StartGame(String profile)
at Jonha.TS3.AnyGameStarter.Gui.MainForm.Profiles_ItemActivate(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.OnItemActivate(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.WmReflectNotify(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.WndProc(Message& m)
at Jonha.TS3.AnyGameStarter.Gui.ListViewEx.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4200 (NetFxQFE.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attemp to contiue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

System cannot find the file specified.

-------------------------------------------------

AnyGameLauncher
Assembly Version: 1.1.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Any%20Game%20Starter%203/AnyGameLauncher.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4205 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Sims3AnyGameStarter
Assembly Version: 1.1.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Any%20Game%20Starter%203/Sims3AnyGameStarter.EXE
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

--------------------------------------------

I deleted that profile and created a new one with out changing the path. AnyGame runs Ambitions with no mods.

I hope this information is helpful. :lovestruc

Sometimes the Dragon wins and I AM the Dragon!
Scholar
Original Poster
#49 Old 20th Jun 2010 at 8:48 AM
Well, it says:

"The system cannot find the file specified"

that means, in the executable box you entered a filename that doesn't exist. As I said, you should not need to update the filename, the basic TS3 exe should be okay.

I will improve error checking in this area.
Field Researcher
#50 Old 20th Jun 2010 at 11:42 AM
Jesus Make It For Mac aswell

why did i pick this username
Page 2 of 12