Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th May 2009 at 7:07 AM
which computer?
I am getting a new notebook in July and I can choose between a dual-core 2.8GHz or a quad-core 2.0 GHz.
as I am absolutely a computer illetterate, can someone tell me what is better to play Sims3? I have no idea what the dual- or quad-core means...

the other specifics of the notebook are: 460 RAM, viste 64 bit, 2x500GB HDD, Blue Ray. there are 2 graphic cards, one intel and one Nvidia and I can choose which one I want to use according to the software I am running at the moment.

Thank you very much!
Silvia
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 29th May 2009 at 7:17 AM
My Thoughts Would Be The One With The Dual Core Processor, with the Nvidia Graphics Card.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th May 2009 at 7:25 AM
the Nvidia graphic card is anyway in, plus there is another Intel that I can use when I do not need good graphic (like when you do text or something of the kind).
why the dual-core?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 29th May 2009 at 11:29 AM
I've moved your post to the computer forum...

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=330413
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=330402

Those two posts will be of special help for you. From your post... I think you've got some things to sort out. No laptop now with Vista will be sold with under a gig of RAM and 460 is not a valid number. Vista 64 bit is not recommended for use with sims games. Quad core is not necessary - most things don't take advantage of quad core. Choosing between an actual nVidia card and an Intel, I'd go with Intel, but you really need to know -what- kind of nVidia card it's got to know whether TS3 will run. The whole "two graphics cards and I can choose which one I want to use depending on the software" sounds flat out... wrong to me, to be honest. On a desktop, you might have an integrated Intel chip and then an upgraded real card and you can choose in the BIOS (when you turn on the computer) which to use, but you can't switch on the fly, and laptops don't have that as they'll only usually have one graphics card.

Laptops are generally -not- that suitable for gaming unless you want to pay quite a bit more for them, for not as good performance as a desktop.

But, all of that is covered in the links I gave you.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th May 2009 at 8:38 AM
thanks...as for the laptop...well, at the moment I am playing sims2 with all the expansions on my laptop, plus I have about 1GB of CC. it is possible when the laptop is a kind of workstation...price is not a problem for a lot of reasons which I cannot discuss in public
the ram was a reading mistake, my hubby has such a bad handwriting...it is 4GB ram.
as for the two graphic cards, I will ask better, but this is what my husband told me.
I will read the two links you gave me. if you have some more questions about the kind of laptop I have or I will have, please send me a message. thanks
shiny!
retired moderator
#6 Old 30th May 2009 at 3:34 PM Last edited by callistra : 30th May 2009 at 3:56 PM.
There are notebooks which you can choose between cards. However, notebooks running hybrid graphics don't usually have a very strong dedicated card. I can think of exactly 6 notebooks that have quad core processors and none of them have hybrid graphics, so I question that spec as well.

In the sticky marked "System Requirements for TS2/TS3" there is a post called "What to include if you are asked to provide your "system specs"". If you include everything asked there then we will be able to give you advice on whether or not that laptop is a good choice. Of course it would be best just to choose one of those listed in the upgrading or buying new guide (top sticky).