Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 10:05 PM
Default What the heck are .bak files and do I need them?
Question about using SimPE to convert files to EP.

Once you scan your downloads folder and fix all the files so they are EP ready, you end up with all these .bak files. Are they necessary and if not, can I delete them?

Chelle
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 10:07 PM
they're just backup files, created for safety reasons...if your converts work out you can safely delete them
-le
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 1:54 PM
Thank you for the quick reply. I had a feeling that was the case, but since some of the makeup and skintones don't show up in my game even after conversion, I thought maybe it was because I was deleting them. Thank you again.

Chelle
Forum Resident
#4 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 9:22 AM
The program that items don't show up in the game may be caused by two reasons.

1. Files/items are demaged.
2. Not EP ready.

To answer your question, 95% or more of time, you won't need to keep the bak file. (in my opinion)
Scholar
#5 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 9:40 AM
Thanks for the info, I've got loads of *.bak and myself was unsure if I needed them or not.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 4:59 PM
If you're brave enough/annoyed by them enough, you could switch off the creation of .bak files in SimPE under Extras/Options/Settings
Just remove the checkmark next to Auto backup -le
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 5:15 PM
They saved my game when I accidently SimPE Batch fixed a bunch of floor and wall files. Afterwards those files would not show up. I renamed the .bak to .package and overwrote the corrupt file. Like I said .bak files saved my game.
Test Subject
#8 Old 7th May 2005 at 7:05 AM
I don't make anything myself, all I do is download stuff for my game. I get alot of these .bak files. do I need to keep them? If so, where do I put them?
Also, when sorting my files with the clean installer, I have come across "read only" files. What do they do? How do I use them? Where do I put them?
Thankx
Locked thread | Locked by: CynicalChick Reason: resolved