Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The ModFather
retired moderator
#76 Old 5th Jul 2008 at 8:45 AM
The forum that you are browsing, Tutorials for Custom Careers, contains everything MTS2 hosts about creating a custom career; just browse it until you (hopefully) find what you need.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#77 Old 10th Jul 2008 at 11:53 PM
Okay, I apologize if there is an obvious answer and I've just completely missed it, but I've been looking around for hours with no success. Can anyone tell me, in plain English, how to open a custom career in SimPE? What folder would it be in? What would the file name look like in SimPE?

I've downloaded a career from MTS2 and installed it into my game, but I'd like to tweak it for my preferences. I've got SimPE (with Bidou's Career Editor) and am fairly familiar with it, but I've never tried this before. Sorry and thanks in advance!
Lab Assistant
#78 Old 7th Oct 2008 at 11:11 AM
I created my career using the SimPE career template (Which uses the science career as a base), but have found that although it doesn't overwrite the science career, it somehow makes it disappear. From what I have gathered - speaking to others - if a custom career is overwriting a base career, it would show up in place of the original career. That is not what is happening in my game: My sim who has the science career no longer has a job when i install my custom career, she is just unemployed. When I take the custom career out, she has her job again. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I install the career template in the Simpe\data folder as instructed, and got a new GUID for the career, but somehow it is still interferring with the Science career.

Can anybody help? (This career ain't defeating me dammit!)
Mad Poster
#79 Old 15th Oct 2008 at 3:33 PM Last edited by lauratje86 : 15th Oct 2008 at 4:34 PM. Reason: I figured out the problem! :-D
Hello folks :-)

I have a question/request. I created a custom career using SimPE and Bidou's Career Editor. I filled in all the bits - descriptions, wages, which days the sims would go to work, chance cards etc, and also made a custom career icon, which I replaced the original icons with. However, SimPE won't let me register as a new user, despite the fact that I've never used it before, so I can't change the GUID, and it won't let me change the Group ID either. This means that it overwrites the Science career track ingame. Can anybody either a) Tell me what I'm doing wrong, because I have no idea and it's very frustrating or b) change the GUID and the Group ID for me if I post the file on here? The career is EP ready though.

Thanks in advance for all and any help!! :-D

**Edit** Never mind! Please ignore this question. It worked straight away when I'd restarted SimPE. Gotta love computers.......
Test Subject
#80 Old 28th Oct 2008 at 7:58 PM Last edited by talkenia : 28th Oct 2008 at 8:05 PM.
ehmm. i cant register sim Pe has an error and when i try my e mail i cant login

my guids available 0

p.s.
i tried again and i got error again with this message:

Client found response content of 'text/html' but expected 'text/xml' the request failed with the error message

--

Invalid query : duplicated entry "for key

I really dont get it !!!!!!
Test Subject
#81 Old 10th Dec 2008 at 6:29 PM
hi, thanks for this amazig DIY, but:
You said that
If it's 108, celebrate with a wild party- the career is already EP ready.
If it's 104, mourn for a day or two- you need to make it EP ready.

But what if there is 110?

The two extra things are something like "---user defined---" and i'm not sure if i can delete them. can i?
Test Subject
#82 Old 20th Dec 2008 at 9:39 PM
It´s very frustating when you download a new career, but it doesn´t work. It is that this career doesn´t overwrite any other, but the chance cards, the guid and the title of the different levels are the same of the base career.
I´ve tried to check at SimPE if that information exists and it is.
What is the problem? I have all expansion pack until the moment.
Anyone can help me, please?
Top Secret Researcher
#83 Old 25th Jan 2009 at 3:55 AM
YES!!! IN YOUR FACE!! Lol jk i didn't have to make mine EP Ready, it already was. YAY, TIME FOR A WILD PARTY!!!

ENTJ
Test Subject
#84 Old 19th Feb 2009 at 2:01 AM Last edited by xchelsx514 : 19th Feb 2009 at 2:07 AM.
Default precarious predicament puzzling my puzzler
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
I was not lucky... I had no "Crappy GUID" error -
As soon as I accepted the job, I had another error ("Undefined Transition"), due to the fact that I don't have the custom outfits in my Downloads, and the game complained because it couldn't add the outfit in the family inventory.
Apart from that, I had no other errors.

Exactly, *when* should the error appear? What EPs should I use when testing the career? I tested it in a "Base+UNI" game...

PS: the "crappy GUID" may also be one of the outfit/cars GUIDs; double check them, too.

I've been having the same problem. I get the error message when my sims accept the job, or when they get a promotion (i've tested this and apparently the popup does not come up when promoted from level 3 to 4)
I used Emma Barrett's template also and I can't find anyone else to give an answer to this problem

I also thought the message was a joke. Still im quite perplexed by this predicament
thank you very much numenor for helping with this
Test Subject
#85 Old 6th Apr 2009 at 3:25 AM
Default Thanks
(: Thanks SUPERFLY. Now I know how to uploed.

Thanks, Carlyjdell
Test Subject
#86 Old 6th Apr 2009 at 3:26 AM
(: Thanks SUPERFLY. Now I know how to up load my items.

Thanks, Carlyjdell
Theorist
#87 Old 11th Apr 2009 at 6:25 PM
When you said to click the file in Object Data and click 'Get GUID'... Well, nothing comes up at the bottom, like it did in your screenshot. D:
Did I break it?

EDIT:
Wait, never mind, I found it. Silly me.

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Theorist
#88 Old 10th May 2009 at 10:03 AM
When I try to get a new GUID and click 'register new user' I get an error.
And then nothing happens. What do I do?

EDIT:
Never mind, I figured it out. /doh

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Test Subject
#89 Old 12th Aug 2009 at 9:46 PM
Default Thanks! :)
That was really helpful. I tried to use the other one first, and I had some issues finding things, but I hope everything is okay now that I followed the right one. Thanks so much!
Test Subject
#90 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 8:27 PM
Hello everyone, I am as dumb as a bag of hammers when it comes to creating careers. But I really want to either make a career or change one of maxis. I don't like the criminal career or the paranormal career so I would like to just change them to my own. It bothers me when I have a sim who works from home as a financial consultant but is considered unemployed. I would like to create or change a career to reflect this as self-employed consultant. I would also like to have no wages and no work hours so the car doesn't come for my sim. Is this possible and if so, is it difficult? If you are going to give instructions please type s-l-o-w-l-y...LOL
Top Secret Researcher
#91 Old 3rd Apr 2010 at 2:16 PM
Every career I made has a different name and has a different GUID, but still of the four careers I can get only 2 of them work. if I play a bit with putting them in a different order (by putting them in a different map) it are always 2 different of the four careers that are working in the game.
What do I do wrong and what can I do to let them work all four of them at the same time?

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Test Subject
#92 Old 7th Apr 2010 at 2:48 PM
Can anyone help me to figure out the problem of my custom career?

I have followed the instruction here and created a new career which is EP ready. I used Science career as the base career and modified the wages, working time, ability requirement, job title of all levels and chance cards. I also completed the group ID and GUID stuff. However, when I open this new career in the game, only the wages, working time and uniform can be showed up. While the job title, description of each job level and the chance cards content cannot be showed up. If would be great if anyone can help me to solve the problem. Thanks.
Test Subject
#93 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 1:24 PM Last edited by ArotaAlehthrra : 6th Jul 2010 at 1:25 PM. Reason: spelling error
I feel like I only post when I have a problem...anyways.

I've been creating a custom career. I used Bidou's career editor, made it EP ready, and gave it a unique GUID. I did this once before, a long time ago, and I don't remember doing anything different than what I've done now (and yes, that custom career worked). I may have done things a little out of order, though.

However, no matter what I do, though my career is in the game under the proper name, and with the proper (new) icon, all the other information remains the same as the base career it was made off of (the science career). The job levels and descriptions, requirements for advancement, etc. I haven't seen a chance card yet, but given the evidence, I suspect they will be the same, as well. SimPE does act a little funny...when I hit "fix integrity" it brings up a box labeled "scenegraph rename wizard". I don't remember it doing that before, but the text lists resources still go italic, indicating they've been changed.

Any ideas?
Top Secret Researcher
#94 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 6:17 PM
You don't need the Fix integrity thing.
I think it has to do with in which language string you added the text.
You can change that language string with BIDOU as well.
Maybe you can take a look at that.

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Test Subject
#95 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 11:35 PM
The language strings appear to have all the correct information, in and out of Bidou's career editor. I'm kinda confused as to where it's even getting the science career text, because as far as I can see, none of it is in the package anywhere.
Top Secret Researcher
#96 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 10:18 AM
Maybe you cloned it from the science career.
Have you tried to make another custom career? Or just adjusting the text of one you downloaded?

Test Subject
#97 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 12:43 PM
I re-made the career, using politics career as a base, and it's doing the same thing. The career name and icon are correct, it's not over-writing the original, but it's using the politics career text for career levels, descriptions, work times, pay, and promotion requirements. None of that information is even IN the new package!
Top Secret Researcher
#98 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 1:56 PM
Have you tried to download one of my careers and use it as a base?

Test Subject
#99 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 2:00 PM
Aha! That worked! Any idea what was going on?
Top Secret Researcher
#100 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 2:40 PM
No idea.
But you can use that one as a template.

Page 4 of 5