Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 12th Jan 2005 at 2:14 AM Last edited by crowridgestudio : 12th Jan 2005 at 2:17 AM.
rentechd,

Thanks for offering to send me the name of the "rosebud" set. I installed it too long ago to still have track of it.

I still wish there were a better way to get the word out that certain steps have to be followed to the letter, but I'm hoping for that community installer too, so at least people can keep things that aren't made right out of their games.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#27 Old 12th Jan 2005 at 2:51 AM
If you do want to find the set, all my sets start with DMM. I am pretty sure the teddy quilt has the same problem, I can't find it in my game. If you have one of the pooh changing tables from TSR (There are 2, only one of them causes the problem), it will cause the rosebud changing table to vanish. The author didn't remove all the references to the rosebud table's hash number. I sent a PM to the author to let her(?) know. I removed the pooh table from my game because it is essentially broken. Assuming that the author will create an updated version, I don't want to have two of them in the game.

Hopefully we will get something to help eliminate this problem in the future. So far it seems like more of an annoyance than anything else. Other than not showing up in game and increasing my load time for objects I can't use, there doesn't seem to be any other harm in it. Unless of course people start uploading lots with the broken objects.. ugh... I exported a lot the other day. No house just a bed and 2 chairs and the lot was over 250M. Luckily I never upload houses.

D
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 12th Jan 2005 at 4:09 AM
That's enough to narrow it down for me, dhevynstarr, thankyou. I guess it's time to organize my folders differently than by date alone :-)

Suzanne
Test Subject
#29 Old 14th Jan 2005 at 5:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daysies
I finally played the game some tonight (spent most of the time refurnishing so I can look at all my downloaded recolors) and I found so many that were just blue or "invisible." I went ahead and deleted them. I figure, if I can't tell what they are, there's no use trying to find out what they were to begin with! All is not lost anyway. There'll always be more downloads and I can make do with what I have. I've only touched the tip of the iceberg with these downloads anyway. My eyes were starting to cross so I had to stop.

Lynnspayne - An easy way to figure out what goes directly in Downloads is anything that you put together in Body Shop - i.e. hair, makeup, clothes, skins, etc. Anything else can safely go into a subfolder within Downloads.

oohh duh~ why didnt I think of that? I guess its that blonde okie thing kickin in.. thank you so much for your help. you are awesome. :howdy:

I will Always be Me
Always Holly
Test Subject
#30 Old 14th Jan 2005 at 7:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Carrigon
The TSR stuff has been bugging me for awhile, not just because they rename the files, but because people test their stuff here, then put the same file on TSR without changing the hash or anything, so you get a duplicate of the file under a different name with the same hash if you're not careful and I think that alone can cause problems. TSR is being irresponsible and so are the people posting there who don't change their own files.

FTR I found that TSR was renaming the uploaded files only when OW came about and objects first started to have problems. I contacted them and they took action rather quickly and changed the filenaming procedure. All the FAs were asked to re upload all files to ensure their would be no problems, so the "irresponsible" part is a bit off base, at least in this case.

So if users are having blue or flashing objects, any older object files that start with TSR prefixs probably are to blame.

I see lots of posts from those that have issues with objects not showing up, yet I can't duplicate this. I've recolored nearly every object and they all still show in my game.

What I can't understand is it's relatively easy to use OW for a recolor, why would a user recolor someone elses recolor??
Firestarter
#31 Old 14th Jan 2005 at 8:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FSMCDesigns

What I can't understand is it's relatively easy to use OW for a recolor, why would a user recolor someone elses recolor??

Because people are lazy, or they don't understand that they need to use OW. There are still alot of people out there who do not come here and have no clue. So they think they can just slap some recolor on a recolor and that will be enough. And unfortunately, we're probably going to see this alot for a long time.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#32 Old 14th Jan 2005 at 9:49 AM
Well to be fair, a lot of the recolourers are people who recoloured for TS1, and it would not occur to them to go to a modders forum to find out about recolouring. I mean they didn't go to Hackers' Resource in TS1 days for help on recolouring, they would find their help on places like TSR and N99.

I think the pioneers should be thinking in terms of reaching out to the community with education not just sitting here in the "ivory towers". Yes, the resourceful people can find their way here, but less resourceful people will still wish to recolour and will do so. It's no good wringing our hands and saying we wish they wouldn't, it's up to the people who care about it and know about it to do something to get these people on board.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 14th Jan 2005 at 9:30 PM
I wonder what a good way to get the word out would be?

I'd like to see everyone who wanted to, be able to do recolors, even if only for their own game...

Suzanne

Vista is a problem that needs a solution -- preferably one with a pH of 0.
#34 Old 14th Jan 2005 at 10:03 PM
Just keeping an eye on other message boards and giving advice really.
Test Subject
#35 Old 17th Jan 2005 at 8:07 AM
If you have some missing objects is it possible for the user.. ie.. me to change somthing in the missing file to make it unique and therefor work again...

Can I change the GUID or something to make it work properly... I have a few missing files n have been able to identify them n would like to just put them right rather than have to find them n re-download them could take me years lol

Lab Assistant
#36 Old 17th Jan 2005 at 8:42 AM
uhhummm and on a side note,

I used OW to make a new recliner and couch. put them on a lot then saved the lot to file.
Not only did it include the couch I made with the right file name,
but... for what ever reason it decided to upload every single recolored couch of that type by various other poeple in my game and rename them with huge long numbers. Least that is what Clean Installer showed when viewing the packaged lot from that. Weird and I have no idea why.

I know as well as Im sittin here, that if I decide to upload that lot chances are every piece of custom furniture on it will blink blue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't compare your life to others,
You have no idea what their journey is about.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#37 Old 17th Jan 2005 at 10:08 AM
I have no advice to give on that automatic uploads business. It was one of the stupidest things Maxis ever decided to do. They should have left us using shopping lists )-:
Test Subject
#38 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 9:21 PM
Well, complaining about this problem being caused by the exchange renaming things is starting on the official boards.

The exchange really needs a re-tool, IMHO. But it took maxis forever to simply show what is included with the lot, and that could have done that from the begining (since the XML file in the sims2pack files says what's in the package...)
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#39 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 10:48 PM Last edited by daysies : 19th Jan 2005 at 12:53 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by dhevynstarr
I looked through everything that started with TSR and then found a few that were created with OW and as you suggested they were bad. I fixed the hash and the recolors worked. (I think the one that I used as a test actually looked better as a flashing blue bed though.)

Now to just figure out what is causing the older recolors to disappear from game. Back I go .. and Thanks!

Can anyone tell me what the original file naming convention was before TSR made their filename change? I have a ton of stuff from TSR and I want to make sure I can remove them (and fix them or redownload them). Also, do you know what date TSR started posting their fixed OW recolors? That would help me when I redownload the recolors again. Thanks in advance! :D

Edit:
I think I figured it out: The file name starts out with tsr29x*.* That was 372 files for me. I think I can handle that. I had downloaded walls and floors from them but I installed them one at a time before Delphy's Multi-Sims2pack Installer came out.

DDO
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 25th Jan 2005 at 9:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daysies
Can anyone tell me what the original file naming convention was before TSR made their filename change? I have a ton of stuff from TSR and I want to make sure I can remove them (and fix them or redownload them). Also, do you know what date TSR started posting their fixed OW recolors? That would help me when I redownload the recolors again. Thanks in advance! :D

Edit:
I think I figured it out: The file name starts out with tsr29x*.* That was 372 files for me. I think I can handle that. I had downloaded walls and floors from them but I installed them one at a time before Delphy's Multi-Sims2pack Installer came out.

I just did some re-downloading at TSR and it looks to be about January 3rd or 4th that they stopped renaming the files. The other thing to look at is the zip file name, (ts2objects_xxx_file.zip) it looks like any file starting around 900-1000 is no longer renamed. Hope this helps.

Kralore
Page 2 of 2