Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jan 2010 at 7:02 AM
Default Ghost causing problems
I've noticed a few things about ghosts, and I was wondering if anyone else has been seeing this.

1. I imported the graveyard from Sunset Valley into my Venice world, but no ghosts will show up. I waited a sim week and still no ghosts.

2. I pulled an urn out of a sim's personal inventory and placed it on her lot. That night the ghost appeared, but it started attacking my processor, , and causing 1 to 2 minute lags in the game even after the sun came up and the ghost returned to the urn. It was as if, once generated, it caused a memory leak. I exited without saving and re-entered and the lag was gone (because the ghost was still in its urn and had never been released.)

3. A sim died (okay, Nraas did an instant kill) and his grave was added to the mosoleum. The processor started getting lags of several seconds (always less than 5, though) even though the ghost hasn't appeared yet. I moved the grave marker out of the mosoleum and placed it on the grass of the graveyard to see if a ghost would appear and after 3 sim days nothing has happened. The mist swirls around the graves, but that's it.

None of this is happening in Sunset Valley.

My cat taught me how to fetch. I throw the toy, she shows me where it landed, and I fetch it.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#2 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 8:02 AM
Well, it took 5 sim days, but the dead sim's ghost finally appeared. Unfortunately, the idea I had of having a sim place gravestones in the cemetary and saving the lot can't work. They don't get saved. And you can't edit the lot either because all the gravestones go back into the sims family inventory.

The memory leak ghost had to have been due to a faulty sim (it was imported from the library and not made in-game). I tried several different sim families and there were no lags and the memory and proc useage was as it should be.

So I guess the graveyard can't have ghosts until EA fixes this (or a mod magically appears) or someone figures out how to get the ghosts in the graveyard to appear. You can add ghosts in-game, but as far as I can tell you can't install a new world with a graveyard and have the ghosts already there. So every time you start a new game, you have to kill of a bunch of sims and add them to the graveyard if you want ghosts.

I keep hoping I did something wrong, so if you are able to import the Sunset Valley (or even Riverview) graveyards and have the ghosts appear, please speak up

My cat taught me how to fetch. I throw the toy, she shows me where it landed, and I fetch it.
Test Subject
#3 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 9:29 PM
well there goes my idea of how to get ghosts. thanks for the information
Field Researcher
#4 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 6:04 PM
What if you kill them from within 'edit in game'? is that possible?

I'd like to build a world, a better world.
Guess I'll start here...
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 7:46 PM Last edited by NekoCat : 15th Jan 2010 at 8:07 PM.
No, unfortunately its not possible because you don't have any sims to use in that mode. It's just the neighborhood with no families.

The only way I've found to add ghosts to a graveyard is to begin a new game and either let them die of old age or kill them, then add then stick their markers on the ground inside the graveyard.

However, you can have a sim in a previous game stick all the urns in her inventory, then save her to the library. Then go to your new world, import her and have her deposit those urns on the ground in the graveyard and the ghosts will appear. So while ghosts can't be added during the CAW process, you can still play with ghosts you already created. I hope that makes sense. I would rather provide ghosts with a new world so people don't have to do that, though. I'm hoping an update along the line will fix this.