Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jul 2016 at 12:23 AM
Default How many rocks is too many?
I've always struggled to make non-ugly rocks with terrain sculpting, even after using World Machine generators. Ideally, I'd use the rocks in metadata all over my world, but I'm concerned this is going to slow down my game considerably (especially since you can't cluster rocks like you can trees). Do any of you guys have an opinion about how rock objects might affect game performance? I'm talking about LOTS of rocks (i.e. hundreds). All in all, I've seen them make my world file about 5 mb bigger.

Thanks
Screenshots
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 21st Jul 2016 at 10:47 AM
I'm not sure if you ever got a bit into 3D meshing, but you can clearly see what I mean when you switch to wireframe mode in CAW. The connections that the lines makes (And I mean come together) are called 'polycounts'. Imagine the entire world being a big mesh, which it basically is. The more objects you place, the higher the polycount gets. This doesn't just count for rocks, but trees, a huge amount of buildings and other objects you can place in your world.

CAW has a function to lower the polycount but i'm not sure if it will lower the rocks with it too. >-<