Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Dec 2017 at 10:44 PM
Default Fail to Export world.
I'm getting a "world failed to export" error.
Everything seems to be in order.
Clues desired. SWAG* accepted.

*SWAG = scientific wild ass guess, not fashion accessories, though I'll take that as well!
Screenshots

Sims are better than us.
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 30th Dec 2017 at 10:53 PM
Do you have any mods or do you have a dedicated sims3 folder just for caw? I would try to take them out, clean cache and export then.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Dec 2017 at 11:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Do you have any mods or do you have a dedicated sims3 folder just for caw? I would try to take them out, clean cache and export then.

I made a whole new windows user just for CAW.
I moved the mods folder to my desktop for the CAW user, deleted the caches and tried to export. Fail.
EA hates me.

Sims are better than us.
Alchemist
#4 Old 30th Dec 2017 at 11:12 PM
Do you have a lot of stuff in the launcher? Too much and the export fails, everytime.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 30th Dec 2017 at 11:14 PM
Can you export any other world? Or does this happen with all worlds?

(I just noticed your other post in the CAW World picture thread - maybe it doesn't work as well as assumed? To my knowledge it needs to be an 8 bit RGB picture - at least that's what is working fine for me.)
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Dec 2017 at 11:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
Do you have a lot of stuff in the launcher? Too much and the export fails, everytime.

The launcher? Not sure... it never gets out of CAW to get to where I open the launcher.
I'll check to see what I have in the downloads in the launcher tho'.

Quote: Originally posted by Norn
Can you export any other world? Or does this happen with all worlds?

(I just noticed your other post in the CAW World picture thread - maybe it doesn't work as well as assumed? To my knowledge it needs to be an 8 bit RGB picture - at least that's what is working fine for me.)

Yes, I just made a modification of Rifelong7's "Isle of Sims III" and had no problem.
I know it won't export if the form I posted isn't filled out. I put a screenshot in the first post because I thought people would assume I'm stupid - not a bad assumption. Maybe I didn't fill it out correctly so it helps to have eyes on it as well. The png issue is that unless the 256x256 image is flattened, CAW won't accept it. This was a simple Microsoft Paint Png... no cut and paste of the image and I've never had a problem with those.

Sims are better than us.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 30th Dec 2017 at 11:29 PM
Ok... then it's probably something with the world. What changes did you make recently? Were you able to export it at one time?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th Dec 2017 at 11:54 PM
Ok... then it's probably something with the world. What changes did you make recently? Were you able to export it at one time?

I changed the traits and clothing of some of the sims.
I added a "community Garden Lot" that was from Twinbrook (iirc).
As a debug step, I deleted the community garden lot. Still a fail.

Edit:
Cleared out the downloads directory in Sims 3.
Cleared out the exports directory in Sims 3
Went back to a prior version in backup Added name, description, and PNG picture in CAW.
Failed to export.
I spent several hours on this world and started from scratch.

Sims are better than us.
Alchemist
#9 Old 31st Dec 2017 at 12:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
The launcher? Not sure... it never gets out of CAW to get to where I open the launcher.
I'll check to see what I have in the downloads in the launcher tho'.

If other worlds export just fine, then it's not the launcher and you can rule that out.

Personally I have two different Sims 3 folders, one for CAW and one for playing. For me the amount of stuff in the launcher is roughly 1 GB. Over that and CAW fails to export any world.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 31st Dec 2017 at 12:33 AM Last edited by Emmett Brown : 31st Dec 2017 at 12:58 AM.
If other worlds export just fine, then it's not the launcher and you can rule that out.

Personally I have two different Sims 3 folders, one for CAW and one for playing. For me the amount of stuff in the launcher is roughly 1 GB. Over that and CAW fails to export any world.

You mean if there is over 1 GB of custom content it can't export?
I'll check this out by uninstalling some stuff.

Edit: This is probably the problem, thanks. I can't install stuff. I'm going to need to clean out the game folder and reinstall the CC that I use in CAW.
Second Edit: Nuked the whole Sims 3 folder. Restarted game to rebuild the folder, and the world exported!! Thank you! I'll be sure not to play the sims in my CAW user folder from now on.

Sims are better than us.
Alchemist
#11 Old 31st Dec 2017 at 1:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
You mean if there is over 1 GB of custom content it can't export?
I'll check this out by uninstalling some stuff.

Edit: This is probably the problem, thanks. I can't install stuff. I'm going to need to clean out the game folder and reinstall the CC that I use in CAW.
Second Edit: Nuked the whole Sims 3 folder. Restarted game to rebuild the folder, and the world exported!! Thank you! I'll be sure not to play the sims in my CAW user folder from now on.

You're welcome. The launcher has had this problem for a long time now and it also affects EIG, as well. Too much items and EIG crashes due to too much data to load. Also, sometimes - due to an EA update - the game creates .temp files into the DCCache folder, increasing the size of that folder. I've read that it shouldn't happen with the original base game but it does, at least to me. I just throw those .temp files into the trash and DCCache size goes back down to normal.

I'm glad everything worked out, though.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 31st Dec 2017 at 10:56 AM
Thank you, I learned something, too. I never run into this problem as I don't use the launcher to install things. But it's good to know!
Alchemist
#13 Old 31st Dec 2017 at 4:30 PM
Thank you, I learned something, too. I never run into this problem as I don't use the launcher to install things. But it's good to know!

You're welcome. I consider the launcher a necessary evil because of the Store.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 31st Dec 2017 at 5:46 PM
You're welcome. The launcher has had this problem for a long time now and it also affects EIG, as well. Too much items and EIG crashes due to too much data to load. Also, sometimes - due to an EA update - the game creates .temp files into the DCCache folder, increasing the size of that folder. I've read that it shouldn't happen with the original base game but it does, at least to me. I just throw those .temp files into the trash and DCCache size goes back down to normal.

I'm glad everything worked out, though.

Got a serious case of the happiness right now. You're a genius. I would have never have guessed what the problem was. I'm cleaning up my CAW user folder now.

Sims are better than us.