Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jan 2019 at 5:36 PM Last edited by Visual917 : 26th Feb 2020 at 9:00 AM. Reason: the characters got messed up
Default Where are the in-game fonts and how to edit them?
I am currently working on a Turkish language pack for all of the expansion/stuff packs and the base game. However, I really do want to use letters Ş, İ, Ğ and ş, ğ --- Ş and Ğ always comes up as _
I want to edit the font myself so using those letters is possible. Can you tell me or guide me where are the font files?

I created a topic earlier on the EA forums and someone said that the fonts were located in The Sims 3\Game\Bin\Resources. I edited them to include my Turkish letters, however, no luck. I deleted them and the game ran just fine. I noticed that the fonts there were for the Launcher!

I need to access the in-game fonts. I need to edit them. Most of the fonts have ö ç ü and ı but ş and ğ are missing. I need complete control over the fonts and letters. Can you help me out? Please?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th Jan 2019 at 6:56 PM
I replaced the TTF files in that folder once, by means of experiment, and it indeed did not affect the game's fonts.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#3 Old 30th Jan 2019 at 8:01 PM Last edited by Lyralei : 30th Jan 2019 at 8:13 PM.
Hi there!

First, make sure you get S3PE for this :P

Took some deep package digging but turns out it's pretty easy! All can be found in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\UI (So not resources indeed). If you open the UI package file, you will see some CSS files. You'll also see TFF files, which obviously are the fonts. The CSS files are the ones you want to either export and just edit. Not sure which one you should get but I *think* Western is the one you wanna check out? Else just go with the regular one

Now, CSS, i'm not sure if you're familiar with that? it's pretty easy though to import font-size families! Else: https://www.w3schools.com/css/css_font.asp

Although after you've checked out that link and are still a bit confused, the way EA imports (which is also how all front-enders do it :P) Is:

@font "LucidaSansTypewriterStd" ;
@font "MyriadPro-Regular" ;
@font "MyriadPro-Bold" ;
@font "PSK SarabunSim3" ;

This bit basically is all the fonts that EA imported. Maybe you might noticed that the normal text the game has is called "MyriadPro". If you wanna import yours however, just do @font "familynamehere" Do make sure that your font is web-safe or well, is a web-acceptable font.

Eventually, you'll encounter a line like:

Code:
//regular font which is mainly used for body text
Sims3Regular12pt(0x062ead00){
   font-family:"AR YuanGB Bold";
   font-smooth:always;
   font-weight:normal;
   font-size:12pt;
   line-spacing: 22;
}

Font-family is the one you wanna change here! Basically, every font-family that is listed like that is what you wanna edit. DON'T however, edit the top part. Because that will just break everything :P

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Yup it works.... :P
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Jan 2019 at 8:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lyralei
Hi there!

First, make sure you get S3PE for this :P

Took some deep package digging but turns out it's pretty easy! All can be found in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\UI (So not resources indeed). If you open the UI package file, you will see some CSS files. You'll also see TFF files, which obviously are the fonts. The CSS files are the ones you want to either export and just edit. Not sure which one you should get but I *think* Western is the one you wanna check out? Else just go with the regular one

Now, CSS, i'm not sure if you're familiar with that? it's pretty easy though to import font-size families! Else: https://www.w3schools.com/css/css_font.asp

Although after you've checked out that link and are still a bit confused, the way EA imports (which is also how all front-enders do it :P) Is:

@font "LucidaSansTypewriterStd" ;
@font "MyriadPro-Regular" ;
@font "MyriadPro-Bold" ;
@font "PSK SarabunSim3" ;

This bit basically is all the fonts that EA imported. Maybe you might noticed that the normal text the game has is called "MyriadPro". If you wanna import yours however, just do @font "familynamehere" Do make sure that your font is web-safe or well, is a web-acceptable font.

Eventually, you'll encounter a line like:

Code:
//regular font which is mainly used for body text
Sims3Regular12pt(0x062ead00){
   font-family:"AR YuanGB Bold";
   font-smooth:always;
   font-weight:normal;
   font-size:12pt;
   line-spacing: 22;
}

Font-family is the one you wanna change here! Basically, every font-family that is listed like that is what you wanna edit. DON'T however, edit the top part. Because that will just break everything :P

Hope this helps!

Thank you so so so so much. I will try it and come back here.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Jan 2019 at 2:15 PM
Thank you @Lyralei ! I owe you my life.. Well my sister's joy and my... future fame?

I edited all of the TTF files excluding the one that has 3 TTF files inside. It works!!! I started translating again. Thank you again! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#6 Old 31st Jan 2019 at 7:11 PM
Awesome!! For me, this was more of a test thingy too since no one ever shared anything like this before, so great work for going with the info shared and seeing how that works!
Test Subject
#7 Old 6th Aug 2023 at 12:53 AM
Hey guys, I came across this discussion while trying to figure out a way to increase UI scale in the game. It is such a dealbreaker for me, it really deters me from playing and it's so frustrating not being able to find a fix to such a "simple" problem! In the meantime I managed to increase the font size by increasing every font-size pt lines in the CSS! So thank you for your guide

I'm not satisfied yet, I want to find a way to increase the general HUD scale. Do you think there's something that can be done from the same UI.package for this? How does the HUD in-game displaying work? I can't believe it's a predefined and unmodifiable part of the game!