Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 1982
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 84 (Who?), Viewed: 12350 times.
Search this Thread
Old 27th Mar 2019, 8:16 AM #76
RicoSuavecito
Field Researcher

2 Achievements

I named my car Sub-Zero because the first few days I had him no matter what he was ice cold, also blue in color.

- Sent from my iHell
Old 29th Mar 2019, 3:20 PM #77
ChickenMadam
Lab Assistant

1 Achievements

Enh, I get told I'll get chicken pox from kissin my chickens (lol people), and that hasn't happened yet. Though one of the little buggers pecked me in the nose the other day. XD Another one has me trained. Wasn't that supposed to be the other way around? She will hop up on the porch railing, peck the board and look at me, peck and look until I give her a treat. Mainly because I've adopted my sister's larger, meaner hens and they hog all the high-desired treats, like Cheerios.

though I do avoid messing with my hens when I have a cold or a viral illness, just in case I could give it to them. You never know. (and yes I was joking about the chicken pox, and yes I wash my hands and face every time I handle them)
Old 1st Apr 2019, 3:24 PM DefaultThinking about Nuclear war as a physics problem... #78
Emmett Brown
Scholar

I've been thinking about nuclear war from a physics point of view. How much shielding, how to build a radiation survey meter, how to detect a nuclear detonation... macabre stuff like that. Being a child of the cold war era who remembers the Cuban missile crisis and the air raid sirens going off, it's just in my nature to think about it. I wasn't very old when my brother came home from the military and he had a M1A1 Radiac radiation calculator; not sure if that was standard issue or because he was in a nuclear unit. I saw that it had a Time of Burst and in and exit markings, but I had no idea how to use it.

Dose rate and total Dose
But I worked out the math that the Radiac uses. I can calculate dose rate at any given time for fallout given the time of the burst and the Initial fallout dose rate. I can also calculate total dose given burst time, Initial radiation at burst time, t_exit and t_enter.

Surviving Fallout
Shielding is a bit easier: 1 meter of packed dirt gives you a protection factor of 1000. Most of the big bad bombs can dump 1000 rads/hr in fall out on you in the first hour. An underground shelter with a PF 1000 will cut that to an initial 1 rad/hr. Two weeks in the shelter and your total exposure is about 3-4 Rads. Not bad, you wouldn't even notice. People start dying (5%) at about 50 rads over a short period, so even a PF 100 would probably be survivable, and you get that by being surrounded by 68 cm of dirt. The problem now is an engineering one: building a shelter with 1 meter of dirt above your head. That's a lot of dirt and a lot of pressure on the walls of the shelter. It also can't be wet; everywhere I dig around my house is wet. You also have to do it discreetly, because if your neighbors know about your shelter it won't be your shelter anymore when you need it.

Other factors
Nuclear war is much safer now than in the 1960s: I'm thinking the old cold war. Bombs were bigger then because ICBMs were not very accurate. That's not the case now, so smaller warheads of less than 1 megaton are the weapon of choice. And most will now be air bursts (no fallout) rather than surface and near surface bursts. Given that, it's just a matter of being some distance away from targets. Ground bursts will be used against some places that are dug in, like submarine bases and ICBM missile silos.
Target Civilians or Military? In the 1960s, the goal was Mutually Assured Destruction or MAD. Kill everyone in the other guy's country. I don't know what the current thought on this is now.
Multiple Bursts If there are multiple bursts at different times and different places, I won't be able to sort out what burst is dumping fallout because I'd have to know which way the wind was blowing. Difficult to do, since the over-pressure would likely destroy any weather station I set up outside the shelter.

Well, I bought a "new" 60 year old radiation survey meter, a CD-715. Unfortunately, my Radiation source is old and I can't find the date on it so can't tell how much it's decayed. Gonna need a new source. Really, only the lower radiation readings matter much, as the higher ones are "Get the Hell into the shelter" reading. Those are mostly good for finding the initial radiation level at a given time.

Sims are better than us.
Old 1st Apr 2019, 9:28 PM #79
smorbie1
Mad Poster

1 Achievements

It's good to know nuclear war would be safer now. I've really been stressing over that one. HOWEVER, since I live less than ten miles from a major submarine base, I think I'm toast. But, I'd rather not survive and face the hell on Earth that will be left. I'll be happy to go on to Heaven.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://bulbizarre.neocities.org/
Old 1st Apr 2019, 9:50 PM #80
Emmett Brown
Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorbie1
It's good to know nuclear war would be safer now. I've really been stressing over that one. HOWEVER, since I live less than ten miles from a major submarine base, I think I'm toast. But, I'd rather not survive and face the hell on Earth that will be left. I'll be happy to go on to Heaven.

I shouldn't have said anything about the submarine bases.

Sims are better than us.
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 6:05 PM #81
smorbie1
Mad Poster

1 Achievements

totes okay, dude. It's not like I didn't know. Somehow, no matter where I move, I'm always right next to a major military base. The southeastern part of the US is full of them. I made my peace with it as a child.

God is in control.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://bulbizarre.neocities.org/
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 6:27 AM #82
Johnny_Bravo
Alchemist

14 Achievements

View My Journal

Is it chill if I chill here?

If you remember me, I'm awesome!

Soundcloud
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 2:27 PM #83
Emmett Brown
Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Bravo
Is it chill if I chill here?

That's kewl, bro.

Sims are better than us.
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 4:53 PM #84
smorbie1
Mad Poster

1 Achievements

Don't know, brah. It's all good.

Old 8th Apr 2019, 8:42 PM #85
Johnny_Bravo
Alchemist

14 Achievements

View My Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett Brown
That's kewl, bro.

Maybe because 'cool' is chilly, and chilly is chill. Cold.. isn't chill. I don't know bro.
Chill that I could chill here, I'll dip now bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoSuavecito
I named my car Sub-Zero because the first few days I had him no matter what he was ice cold, also blue in color.

Has it killed somebody with a finishing move though?

If you remember me, I'm awesome!

Soundcloud
Last edited by Johnny_Bravo : 8th Apr 2019 at 9:25 PM.

Section jump: