Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 1112
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 11 (Who?), Viewed: 2658 times.
Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2018, 10:21 PM DefaultShould Smoking In Public Be Banned? #1
Emerald1234
Original Poster

Scholar

i say yes because when someone is walking in the street smoking it can go into peoples faces,they inhale the second hand smoke and could have health problems in the future due to that of course i'm not saying they can only smoke at home but there should be designated smoking areas everywhere.

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
cats are better than humans and shall takeover earth in a couple of centuries after they evolve.
Old 19th May 2018, 2:46 PM #2
TheSweetToddler
Instructor

17 Achievements

I think in some places of the world they have already banned smoking in public, and I agree that they should, because it's not fair towards the people who hate the smell of smoke, and especially when there's children around.

- Anything is Possible -

If anybody here knows how to do script mods, and you want to help me with a special mod I'll be doing for Sims 3 (hopefully), please PM me, and I'll give you details and how you will be credited. Take your time if you do plan on helping me. Thank you.
Last edited by TheSweetToddler : 8th Sep 2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 19th May 2018, 3:53 PM #3
simmer22
Mad Poster

3 Achievements

It's not directly banned outside where I live, but it's not allowed to smoke inside public buildings and there are only designated areas outside now. I'm all for restricting smoking even more. If people want to ruin their health, it's up to them. But that doesn't mean they've got the right to ruin other people's health with their bad habits.

Personally, I can't stand the smoke. It makes me a bit nauseous, and I tend to get a cough and a headache if I'm standing close to someone who is smoking. It also smells really bad, and I struggle when sitting beside a person who's just been out smoking (their clothes and breath tend to smell like month-old garbage).

I'm also not a fan of snuff (it's a replacement for a lot of smokers around here, and it's a more or less popular bad habit among young people who'd probably otherwise been smoking). Sure, it's better for non-smokers (they're only damaging their own health, unless they're pregnant), but it's still gross. One of my roommates while I was studying had an awful tendency to leave the snuff bags in the bathroom (in the shower, on the sink, in the toilet, etc.) instead of the garbage bin, to the rest of his roommates' frustration. Someone I know also used snuff while pregnant, potentially risking causing harm to the baby.
Old 22nd May 2018, 4:22 PM #4
rb47798
Lab Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald1234
i say yes because when someone is walking in the street smoking it can go into peoples faces,they inhale the second hand smoke and could have health problems in the future due to that of course i'm not saying they can only smoke at home but there should be designated smoking areas everywhere.

I agree i shouldn't have to passively smoke the filthy smoke coming from the cigarette, it harms you and others around you especially if you have lung problems e.g Asthma. Also smoking areas in resteraunts are usually outdoor seating which is really ashame I can't simply eat or drink outside of a café on a nice day, because of coughing and spluttering people slowly killing themselves and others slowly by smoking, It costs health services too much like the NHS (except US healthcare) smoking should be banned from shops AND shouldnt be allowed and be illegal. I don't care that you like smoking, It is YOUR fault for getting addicted. You are harming those around you.
Whats more important everyone's saftery or your enjoyment?

Hi my name is Carla Shaw you can stop at 5 or 6 stores or just one. I don't need friends, they disappoint me.
Old 11th Jul 2018, 5:06 PM #5
Shamalamamoomoo5
Test Subject

Yeah I agree. It seems that smoking is rude especially when you do it in front of a person, so yes
Old 27th Aug 2018, 11:09 AM #6
cord11
Lab Assistant

8 Achievements

The only people I actively dislike are the jerks who light it up at bus stops. It's actually banned within 7 metres, but of course people still smoke, and then become slobs by throwing the buds on the ground, sometimes still smoking, sometimes in a garden. The rest of the province only happens to be burning right now, so why not try and burn down some more? And there's so many cigarette buds left on the ground, it's disgusting. "It's just one," but open your eyes, "just one" adds up quick when many people are doing it everyday, and no one really cleans up your mess. My mom used to smoke, but quit. She just carried around a tiny ashcan because she was responsible and actually cleaned up after herself. Same idea should go with litter, carry it with you until you can throw it away, it's not hard!

Like there's some smokers who aren't bad, but the bad ones are awful.

Why do I have a badly done MS Paint spiral as my profile pic you ask? Well you see I have nothing better to put there than a thing I quickly made during a grade 10 business class.
Old 9th Sep 2018, 5:12 PM #7
Johnny_Bravo
Alchemist

14 Achievements

View My Journal

I always stay away from kids and non-smokers who are bothered by it. As a smoker I dislike people who come stand next to me and start complaining about it. Just go away will ye.
With tabacco taxes skyrocketing and becoming unaffordable I don't see an additional need to ban it. We already have tiny designated smoking areas in public places.
I know we don't smell nice, but there's worse things to smell in public.

I feel smoking isn't frowned upon as much in Europe as it is in the US, though.

If you've ever fantasized about your funeral/ I understand/ I've been there before
-Touché Amoré
Last edited by Johnny_Bravo : 9th Sep 2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 14th Sep 2018, 11:57 AM #8
HarVee
Theorist

5 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb47798
I agree i shouldn't have to passively smoke the filthy smoke coming from the cigarette, it harms you and others around you especially if you have lung problems e.g Asthma. Also smoking areas in resteraunts are usually outdoor seating which is really ashame I can't simply eat or drink outside of a café on a nice day, because of coughing and spluttering people slowly killing themselves and others slowly by smoking, It costs health services too much like the NHS (except US healthcare) smoking should be banned from shops AND shouldnt be allowed and be illegal. I don't care that you like smoking, It is YOUR fault for getting addicted. You are harming those around you.
Whats more important everyone's saftery or your enjoyment?

You know what also harms ya? The pollutants from vehicle exhaust emissions. The pollutants from the coal we burn for electricity. Waste from plastic, aluminium, and synthetic rubber products.

But yeah no I totally agree. We must blame the smokers for ruining the air, costing healthcare services money and just plain being a rational human by putting their personal enjoyment over that of a person they've never met. That'll show 'em and get them to stop indefinitely.

"I'm breaking my own rules, becoming someone else
Well everybody says I oughta get over myself
I'm thinking I can't move
If there isn't somewhere else to go"

- We Are Scientists. Can't Lose. ©Virgin Records America, Inc. 2005.
Last edited by HarVee : 18th Sep 2018 at 3:40 AM.
Old 24th Sep 2018, 2:09 AM #9
PANDAQUEEN
Alchemist

I suffer from coughing fits from the mere scent of it. Although I outgrew my asthma when I started high school, it is an irritant regardless.

In Washington state, the minimum distance to smoke in public from the entrance to a public or commercial lot's building is 25 feet. Now that I live in New Jersey, I don't know the minimum distance, but yes, I prefer to be in a no smoking zone.

Also, I don't understand the custom of smoking. Who'd want to be burned alive from the inside out?

"There are some obstacles that cannot be removed with a mere show of force."
-King of Atlantis, as portrayed by Leonard Nimoy, Atlantis: The Lost Empire
Old 24th Sep 2018, 1:32 PM #10
mustluvcatz
Former Hamster

31 Achievements

View My Journal

Former smoker here (quit the day I had open heart surgery) and I can't stand the smell of it now. That said: as long as it's outside and not right in my face? Ok, let "em smoke.

Anyone else notice that the "No Smoking" signs include " No Vaping" now?
Old 24th Sep 2018, 3:08 PM #11
PANDAQUEEN
Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustluvcatz
Anyone else notice that the "No Smoking" signs include " No Vaping" now?

I noticed that back in Washington on the bus stops along the Swift line in Snohomish County.

"There are some obstacles that cannot be removed with a mere show of force."
-King of Atlantis, as portrayed by Leonard Nimoy, Atlantis: The Lost Empire
Old Yesterday, 12:24 AM #12
HarVee
Theorist

5 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAQUEEN
Also, I don't understand the custom of smoking. Who'd want to be burned alive from the inside out?

For me it's not that I want to be burned alive from the inside out as you put it, but rather smoking helps me deal my stress and bipolar. Smoking helps me get out of bed and outside when I'm depressed. Smoking also gives me time to slow down and observe the world around me, to which this time helps lower my stress.

"I'm breaking my own rules, becoming someone else
Well everybody says I oughta get over myself
I'm thinking I can't move
If there isn't somewhere else to go"

- We Are Scientists. Can't Lose. ©Virgin Records America, Inc. 2005.

Section jump: