Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 3:04 PM
Default Caw-layers?
Ok so I'd like to know how you can layer things in caw. I so far have a tree's,big objects(radio tower, lighthouse) lighting(street and traffic), effects, spawners, then my other objects such as rocks and fencing have a layer per area(farmside, city, etc.) Also my lots have a layer per area. Is it ok like that?
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 3:26 PM
This can be rather technical. I know the main layer is often used to clean up the world when you're finished. I took care of a version of the world from before I started doing anything, and used that later on to clean it up. Layers can also be deleted, so things like big objects like waterplanes and DT or distant terrains can be deleted later on if you're not happy with it. If you like to delete trees, you do that if you like by having them all on one layer. Things like that.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 4:25 PM
The most important thing when it comes to layering is that you place all plants on one layer, or at least one layer per chunk. CAW groups plants of the same kind (i.e. the same game object, thus a large fir tree is a different object than a small fir) together and treats them as one object. Performance is heavily improved by this. But this can only happen if the same plant/tree game objects per chunk are on the same layer. So, to be on the safe side, I always have only one layer for all plants and let CAW do the rest.

Everything else is up to your preference. As Volvenom said, it can be helpful to group objects, lots etc. (e.g. for an area or all street lights) by putting them on the same layer, so that you could delete all objects at once if you were not happy with the outcome. Or to find it faster if you want to change something.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 6:08 PM Last edited by lloyd118 : 19th Jul 2016 at 6:40 PM.
my layers so far, not added effects or spawners yet
Scholar
#5 Old 22nd Jul 2016 at 5:12 AM
Looks good although I'm not sure what the difference between "Areas" and "Objects" are. However, whatever organization works for you is fine as long as, like posted previously, trees and plants are on a layer by themselves. I also like to have effects, spawners, and distant terrain on separate layers.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 23rd Jul 2016 at 12:33 AM
Trees are grouped per chunk as long as they are on the same layer, as @Vincent T. mentioned. EA have used layers to organise areas of a world- this seems to be to do with the way the worlds were created (i.e, a way for different parts of a world to be worked upon separately, and then merged at the end).

This is what a member of the Sims team had to say about it:
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/g70enl
Quote:
I’ve never seen any benefit to creating layers per chunk. Since there is no advantage, really, it makes more sense to put things on layers according to one’s own organizational preferences. They are merely a tool to help with organization and have nothing to do with performance.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Jul 2016 at 3:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Trees are grouped per chunk as long as they are on the same layer, as @Vincent T. mentioned. EA have used layers to organise areas of a world- this seems to be to do with the way the worlds were created (i.e, a way for different parts of a world to be worked upon separately, and then merged at the end).

This is what a member of the Sims team had to say about it:
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/g70enl

Thanks that has helped a lot
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Jul 2016 at 3:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimmyRN
Looks good although I'm not sure what the difference between "Areas" and "Objects" are. However, whatever organization works for you is fine as long as, like posted previously, trees and plants are on a layer by themselves. I also like to have effects, spawners, and distant terrain on separate layers.

Yeah I will have the effects and spawners separate, but trees and plants i didn't separate so they're together
Mad Poster
#9 Old 9th Aug 2016 at 11:36 AM
I hate to say it but I have done quite a few large worlds that play well and I really do not bother with layers. And when I try to use them I always forget to switch to the one I should be using and it all ends up a hodge-podge. From what I have seen the use of layers does not seem to improve performance. Or not using them hurts it. ????