Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#51 Old 23rd Jun 2013 at 1:27 AM
I usually don't like opera. Anything that tries to blow out my eardrums, or anything that sounds like a cat's tail being stepped on, or those songs I can't understand a single word of because they're in some or another language I don't have on my repertoire, and the people in silly costumes trying to sing their way through a silly drama act while only screaming their throats hoarse. I don't see the point of it. I have found opera that is alright, and even some that was lovely, even. But more often than not it's the exception of the rule.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 8th Jul 2013 at 10:33 PM
I guess I shouldn't be surprised to find a thread about opera among our high-class sims players (;b). Actually I have developed a love for opera. I come from a musical family (rock and roll/blues) but really love all kinds of music. I have actually been a "super" in some opera productions so I have a close relationship with it. Actually I really love the classics - Joan Sutherland and Luciano Pavarotti - excessively. But my current living favorite is Lawrence Brownlee, a young up and comer with a magnificent tenor who doesn't have a lot of recordings or youtube vids yet although he's starting to work in opera houses all over the world: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rup3Uo9eZcMw
Mad Poster
#53 Old 10th Jul 2013 at 7:29 PM
Duh. I thought you said "Opra" as in "Winfree" - probably spelling her name wrong. Hate her. Don't know anything about Opera.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Test Subject
#54 Old 12th May 2014 at 1:35 PM
Default Love Love Love opera
Quote: Originally posted by Yazoo
Alright, I know. I probably would be the last person that anyone expected to like Opera. But I don't like it. I love it. The power behind the singing, is just utterly amazing. Sounds almost an angel (In my ears) as they sing. Their voice is beautiful, and just...Powerful. I do have a few favorite opera singers:

Nana Mouskouri

Maria Callas

Luciano Pavarotti

And there is more. But I just love their singing.

Soooooooo is there any other people like opera? Hmm hmm hmm :D

You are not alone in the love of the divinely brilliant sounds of the opera the control that the singers have on their voices is so majestic and wonderful that it lifts you from where you are in to their world,
I have a few other FAV's when it comes to Arias
Anna Netrebko
Rolando Villazón
Dianna Damrau

However in the opera its self I will always love Mozart the ultimate being the magic flute (THE BEST OPERA IN THE WORLD WITH THE GREATEST ARIAS)
Mad Poster
#55 Old 30th May 2014 at 2:55 AM
I like it, but I'm not overly familiar with it. I don't think I was very keen on it for a long time and then realized how lovely some of it is when I watched the movie "Diva", which is about an American opera singer and the French package delivery guy who illegally tapes one of her concerts. When I saw "Moonstruck", I realized again that I really liked some pieces of opera.

I've only been once. We saw Carmen and I wasn't thrilled with it. It was just ok.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Field Researcher
#56 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 5:33 PM
When I was a child, I used to sneak to my room and turn on the radio (volume low) so I could listen to opera. No one in my family (and none of my friends) listened to either opera or classical music and the fact that I did got me teased a lot. I still love it. I have converted a couple friends and sisters to opera. It's one of those things that many people make fun of, but rarely give a fair chance to. See it live before you knock it. If you've never seen an opera, go see a comedy. They're not as long as dramas, easier to get into, and laughter is good for you. Mozart's comedy "Cosi Fan Tutte" was how I got my friends into opera. And they thought opera was only about tragic death. Opera virgins needn't worry when it's not in their native tongue. There are always subtitles. It's like watching a foreign movie/TV show but live. Price, like for any live show, depends on the show, the seats, and the day/time. The MET now shows many of its productions in movie theaters like AMC around the world. So, if you don't have an opera house or company in your area see if you have a movie theater that shows them (this also works if you like eating food while watching).

Memory Games A Sims 3 Thriller Mystery
Inventor
#57 Old 4th Jul 2014 at 10:02 AM
Tarja Turunen anybody?

Quote:
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

- poof gone -
Scholar
#58 Old 13th Jul 2014 at 10:37 PM
Florence Jenkins is my kind of opera girl.

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Falco - The original Prombat
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#59 Old 13th Jul 2014 at 11:44 PM
I love Classical music. My favourite period is the Baroque era.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Mad Poster
#60 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 5:06 AM
I like some opera, and Placido Domingo was quite awesome. Used to watch it a lot with my grandma. Pavarotti was a badass opera singer too.
Mad Poster
#61 Old 20th Jan 2015 at 11:52 PM
My exposure to classical and opera was brought into my life through father\daughter sessions of watching Looney Tunes as his appreciation was instilled with the same cartoons. I can't help but think of the poor singer who holds the note until he starts falling apart, turn different colors and essentially brings the house down when a certain note is held that long.

I have a fondness for that one song in Pagliacci where the clown is heartbroken about his recent divorce and he just goes on with the show in his costume and face paint.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
#62 Old 21st Jan 2015 at 2:16 AM
Oh, I use it all the time! ...Wait, you're talking about the music...
Test Subject
#63 Old 21st Feb 2015 at 4:56 AM
I actually am classically trained in voice and sang opera toward the end of my training before i had to quit. Mostly before then I did broadway showtunes, but I sang some of the arias of Madame Butterfly and Hannibal. Which was really cool and hard!

I have so much respect for people who do opera, I would kill to do vocal lessons again
Page 3 of 3