Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 12:04 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Intel HD Graphics: No Lag on UC, Laggy on Base Game only
So I have sort of a weird problem, in a way it's even a minor inconvenience, but I still feel like posting it here bc who knows, someone might have a solution.
Basically my UC plays fine with basically no lag or stuttering , while when I install only the base game and play it with the same settings, it lags a lot especially if: I'm playing in a lot with more than 3 sims and if my object/sim detail is on high.
I guess I could simply just play UC, or keep my object details on low and I'll get away with it, but the thing is I'm very specific with the way I play and I'm also very annoyed at petty things like my sims not having separated fingers lol
Is there anything I can try? I should note that my base game ran super smoothly on the same integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 before I had windows 10.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 12:17 AM
You can't have UC and base game on the same computer. If that is what you are doing. One computer - one install of the game.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#3 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 9:52 AM
I'm just curious, how you'd manage to have two independend installations of the game at once (I assume you did not use any Virtual Machine.)? They overwrite themselves in the Register so...?

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 7:40 PM
Nonono, it's not at the same time lmao
I guess i should've been more specific but I uninstalled UC before installing Sims 2. That's definitely not the problem
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 9:00 PM
Did you patch your basegame? Also, did you check whether it identified your graphics chip correctly?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 6:26 PM
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 8:14 PM
Could be a driver issue; also try closing any background tasks before you play. Is there a performance difference between windowed and fullscreen? You could also try having the graphics chip override the in-game graphics settings if that's possible, as this may increase performance.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 11:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JMarcos123
Nonono, it's not at the same time lmao
I guess i should've been more specific but I uninstalled UC before installing Sims 2. That's definitely not the problem

Good to know. I only thought that because people have installed both all disks + UC-somehow... yeah, they had lots of issues doing that.

So you have the 4gb patch and graphic rules done and you checked your config-log.txt file and it reads 4096MB on both memory and free memory?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#9 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 1:59 PM
it may be some WIndows 10 issue (how, why? do not ask - it's the mysterious way of Microsoft), though it is a bit strange that it is apparent on one installation but not in another.
Quote:
I'm playing in a lot with more than 3 sims and if my object/sim detail is on high.

it may suggest than trying to associate the game process to one thread may be helpful (try, at worst it just won't help). If you have game installed on mechanical drive CPU may process the data faster than is able to retrieve it from the HDD, thus "lags", Sims 2 does not really cache anything, instead the program constantly call for data from drive, well any "cache" on windows XP would not work good anyway. Also the game is obviously not multi-thread aware, which may leads to problems like that.

Also make the game as exception in any antivirus - some of them may just constantly borking the process.

Checking compatibility modes helps some people.

And there're obviously potential problems with drivers or particular W10 update.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 30th Nov 2018 at 2:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
it may suggest than trying to associate the game process to one thread may be helpful

how would I go about doing that?
Scholar
#11 Old 30th Nov 2018 at 3:40 PM
from the program start:

create .bat file (e.g StartMySims.bat)* containing:

Code:
start /affinity 1 path_to_sims.exe
(using core 0 thread 1)
or
Code:
start /affinity 4 path_to_sims.exe
(using core 1 thread 3)

(and so on - numbers are HEX values, do not bother with higher ones)
* make file with notepad, save and change extension to "bat"

or create shortcut containing:

[C:\Windows]\System32\cmd.exe /c start /affinity [number] path_to_Sims.exe

change values in brackets for the correct ones

while program is running:

ALT+TAB to desktop (if in fullscreen mode) run ProcessManager (or process explorer or other tool) as admin
select Sims process, select "affinity", uncheck all boxes except for one (preffered not "CPU0", it's defaulted to the system), accept. Return focus to the Sims window. It may take a moment - depends how many resources are already in use (for browser or anything else) - for the system to shuffle things around.

// I assume you're using multicore CPU ofc

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 30th Nov 2018 at 5:30 PM Last edited by JMarcos123 : 30th Nov 2018 at 5:52 PM.
So I do this:

And then change the extension to .bat, correct?

Edit: nevermind, i did start /affinity 4 Sims2.exe. Game loaded up fine but this didn't change anything. The game still lags whenever multiple sims are on the frame, and there's no lag when sims aren't on frame.