Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Oct 2013 at 10:53 PM
Default Research Thread: Turning a world into a Future World
I thought I'd start one thread where we can all share what we're figuring out about how the Future world works.

Helpful Threads to review:
Turning a world into a vacation hot spot by Stw402 @ MTS
Changed my world into a vacation world by Simsample @ MTS
Resource responsible for determining the characteristics by Simsample @ MTS
Research Thread: Turning a world into a University Town by all of us @ MTS

I pulled the same resource, UNKN 0x296A6258, that has designated the Uni, and WA worlds. This is what it's Hex looks like:

I also pulled the ini files. There are 3 sets for the three different versions of the future, Dystopia, Normal, and Utopia.

I'll keep this post updated as we figure out more.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  Future World Resource.7z (230 Bytes, 431 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: 7z  IF INI & Color Ramps.7z (21.4 KB, 311 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#2 Old 26th Oct 2013 at 11:03 PM
I've had limited time to play the future, and poke it's innards, but these are the questions I have so far.

What causes the change between versions of the future? There must be a resource that triggers the change? I haven't investigated, but the trees look like they change as if it's a different season. I'll have to clone a tree and see what the img files look like.

Is there a new designation on a residential lot to make it an ancestral home, or does the game randomly chose a lot?
Test Subject
#3 Old 26th Oct 2013 at 11:17 PM Last edited by sasdad : 26th Oct 2013 at 11:33 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by auntielynds
What causes the change between versions of the future? There must be a resource that triggers the change? I haven't investigated, but the trees look like they change as if it's a different season. I'll have to clone a tree and see what the img files look like.

The changes of the version of the future, I think it is due to the "World Event Spawner" on lots that cause the changes as per coding. If in debug build/buy mode, you can see all these markers on the Community Living Centre.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 8:13 AM
Some of the tree image files I looked at are definitely...utopian.

Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 31st Oct 2013 at 9:25 AM

Reposting information from this thread in order to have all our research information in the same thread.

In the above post, Tizerist successfully traveled to the future using a custom world, by our usual method, using the future world resource AuntieLynds posted above in this thread. Of note to this process, Tizerist also recommends deleting the cache from C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Into the Future\Caches. I found this unnecessary, but if you encounter crashing, try this.

I duplicated this, adding in the INIs and color ramps provided by AuntieLynds. It appears no other trigger is needed beyond the normal process of triggering a different future from your homeworld, using your time almanac. As you can see above, my sim traveled to Dystopia, which had the appropriate lighting, stinky sims, trash piles, and a rift from one of the cause-effect spawners I'd thrown in.

Additionally, if you are playing in a world in which your sims have already traveled to EA's Oasis Landing, you will need to go in your save folders and remove both Oasis Landing files before attempting to travel to the future, otherwise the game crashes.

As to the hover train stations, I haven't located those in CAW or ingame, though the elevated train rails are in CAW, so it's likely I'm overlooking them.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#6 Old 31st Oct 2013 at 5:37 PM
The Train Station shell is not enabled for CAW. In s3oc/s3pe shows the BuyDebug setting has an "unused44" in the flags, and I suppose it is newly added as the Wiki does not have this category documented. Which would explain why this shell does not show up when other shells (the gallery and lounge shelIs) do. I was playing around with it as I was poking around the world in CAW to check routing, how the states are triggered and stuff, so I have done some edits.

If you guys want I'll share it in the In-Game CAW enabled objects thread. I was reluctant to do so as I had also edited the STBL for the White Fence (which is duplicated, as Riverview fences had the same names). And this would cause a conflict if other users have STBL mods in their games. But then, I suppose CAW-users would know what to look out for to start troubleshooting, especially if I mentioned this fact up front. I just need to do a couple more quick tests first.

I don't know if removing that "unused44" flag would have any impact? Ideas, anyone? On how to test for this?
Scholar
#7 Old 3rd Jan 2014 at 4:04 PM
I don't know if this right place to post my question.....but I really need help.
Well I have Lunar Lakes world and i want to make it more futuristic.I don't want to turn world to future subhood,I just want that world act like future world.For example: future taxi/police cars instead regular service cars,most of npc are plumbots like in Oasis Landing and blah blah blah...
I wonder if it is possible?And if it is,how to make it?
Test Subject
#8 Old 26th Jan 2014 at 7:37 PM
I want to know if I can turn a world into a Vacation spot for when you're in the future...My People in New Oasis Landings (I replaced it with a custom hood) need a place to go on vacation...
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 27th Jan 2014 at 10:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nemiga
I don't know if this right place to post my question.....but I really need help.
Well I have Lunar Lakes world and i want to make it more futuristic.I don't want to turn world to future subhood,I just want that world act like future world.For example: future taxi/police cars instead regular service cars,most of npc are plumbots like in Oasis Landing and blah blah blah...

I want to do the same thing but I am really lost trying to follow this conversation. I'm not an experienced creator but am willing to take a stab at this. Would someone mind breaking it down a bit? I'd really appreciate the help
Forum Resident
#10 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 7:14 AM
I wonder if I can use the instaled custom world like home world (unmodified) and the same world (modified and renamed) like ITF world, or, I must play another world like home world and use the modified world like ITF world.
Test Subject
#11 Old 5th May 2014 at 5:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nemiga
Anyone any closer to accomplishing this? I'd be happy with simply converting the transportation defaults to represent the ITF models. Can you swap out a file(s)/command(s) from one to the other?
Field Researcher
#12 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 5:07 PM
I have a question that's sort of similar. I want the "rental house" functionality of the University world to be in my home world, ie, Sims can rent houses instead of purchasing but NOT by using the Apartment lot type. The coding must be in the Uni world somewhere ... but where would it be!
Test Subject
#13 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 6:41 AM
Sorry to necromance this, but I got the sims 3 plus several expansions recently. I like Sci-fi stuff so I bought lunar lakes too but all the normal cars bothered me. I don't mod stuff so im kinda over my head, but I read some of the other threads about vacation and city worlds along with this one to catch up and did some experimenting best I could. I edited Lunar Lakes in SimsPe to add the future resource above then exported that edit to Super CAW to flag it as a suburb (essentially to change item #6 from 04 to 00 since doing it in the hex editor before after adding the resource but before exporting to CAW didn't work). My plan from this was that it would be like the French/Egyptian/Chinese cities/suburbs where it would be a normal world but with futuristic characteristics (I don't really want to replace Oasis Landing). But really the only change I saw was the water turned dark blue like Oasis Landing. Hailing a taxi didn't give me a hover taxi, but a normal one. I don't really know anything about spawners. Do you have to add a special one to get hover taxis? Or is it an inherent part of the future designation (#6 must be 04 for hover cars?).
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 6th Jan 2017 at 1:43 PM
Idea!
I've also found that SuperCAW enables you to switch the world type. It also enabled the 'Future' type. I have no idea how the dystopian and utopian future looks with custom hoods.