Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Feb 2023 at 4:52 PM
Default How to make raised sidewalk in CAW
Hi! I hope I'm in the right category. I'm working on a custom world in CAW and would really love to create raised pavements. Below are example pictures from another world created by Gruesim. It looks amazing and super realistic. If anyone knows how to go about it I would really appreciate it! Thank you

Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Feb 2023 at 5:30 PM
You could probably do it by using the mask feature to mask off the pavement/ sidewalk, then lower the road area.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Feb 2023 at 9:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
You could probably do it by using the mask feature to mask off the pavement/ sidewalk, then lower the road area.

Thank you for your answer. Any chance you know of a tutorial on how to use the mask feature? I'm not familiar with it. TY!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 20th Feb 2023 at 11:26 PM Last edited by simsample : 21st Feb 2023 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Typos!
EDIT: Seems like it's a custom fence/ CAW object; see post below:
https://modthesims.info/showthread....645#post5878645

Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Feb 2023 at 11:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Hmm, I can't seem to find any tutorials specifically for sculpting with masks (although there are plenty for terrain painting with masks). I'll show you some pictures though and maybe you could figure it out.

If you select the terrain editing tools and the mask tab then you can use a square brush to paint a square mask:

Then go to the sculpt tab and makea little hill- you see that the masked but of the terrain isn't changed at all.

In wireframe it's easier to see:

So maybe you could draw a road and align the grid with it, then paint a mask on the asphalt bit:

When you raise it, only the edges are affected, so perhaps you could do it in a way that makes a kerb:

You can import and export masks too. I wonder if the creator of that map didn't make a very detailed heightmap, with the kerb heights on it. That would be another way of doing it. Either way, fiddly and time consuming! As I haven't studied the world or opened it in CAW, I'm really guessing!

Thank you again. I'll play around with it
Mad Poster
#6 Old 21st Feb 2023 at 5:56 AM
WOW, very interesting! Thank you for info. I can tell I would never take the time or make the effort to do a word this way, but need to play a bit now.
Instructor
#7 Old 21st Feb 2023 at 7:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by anicka.nyni
Hi! I hope I'm in the right category. I'm working on a custom world in CAW and would really love to create raised pavements. Below are example pictures from another world created by Gruesim. It looks amazing and super realistic. If anyone knows how to go about it I would really appreciate it! Thank you

It looks like Gruesim used these CAW curbs from Grandelama: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/view/gr...ma/143490484302

There’s also a build mode version here: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/view/gr...ma/143209256662
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 21st Feb 2023 at 12:20 PM
Oh I see, they are a custom fence! Very helpful, thanks for the link @Twinsimming. Still looks a little fiddly to do in CAW, I think those are just objects you'd have to manually place.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st Feb 2023 at 2:41 PM
Thank you all so much!!