Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#5576 Old 20th Oct 2017 at 12:55 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 20th Oct 2017 at 1:28 PM. Reason: quote
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
This would give players a motivation to develop two skills, so players can improve their results by not only having a dog that is well developed, but can compete with style and grace.

Oh definitely. Speaking of motivation to develop two skills, though that can be many things than just doing that mission, I feel like that what would keep the game from becoming repetitive so fast. This applies to many things, not just for this particular task and the reward. Can't pin point any examples If such at all exist, but I feel like we don't getenough features in TS4 that would somehow benefit the player and the sims that are being controlled.

If dog/cat/pet races were introduced, this would make sims training these animals more useful, meaningful, fun and engaging for us. IMO many players would just grab these activity first hand, because by doing that you can reach your goal, i.e. earn simoleans.
Advertisement
Theorist
#5577 Old 20th Oct 2017 at 1:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Eww rabbit holes. I know that the series and developers are capable of doing most of these events without a need of them. All there needs to be is an object that assigns "the start" and "the finish" of the race track. The Tracking markers could be optional ([url=http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=537593]), but it is also to pull it off the setup yourself If you have the determined creative and inspired mind. For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnPy03DLg64

Rabbit holes have no benefit other than just looking ugly/unpleasant in it's architectual design and that the player has to wait outside while taking a smoke before the sim leaves out the dim vagina.

ETA: Than again, with TS4 being TS4 that would suffer the remaining empty spots of the few available lots, so that event better off be created just another rabbit hole void (arghhh).

^ This, Rabbit Holes where nothing but pretend content. And pretend content is not really better than no content at all.

"No honest, your Sims are having Prom in that hollow cardboard shool! Here have a lame pop-up message you will see every time the game is pretending that your SIms are having prom and just use your imagination!"

Woooooo
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5578 Old 20th Oct 2017 at 1:14 PM
There is not a lot of long terms things to invest in that produce genuine rewards. While the game is free form and open, there is nothing to actively work towards beyond the obvious. There is very little in the way of emergent gameplay.

At a base level, you have running a business. Normally, you have a set of socials (actually ones, not ones with different names) that are used to build the relationship bar. Great player to NPC interaction nets tangible rewards - recurring shoppers, likelihood to buy, liklihood hood to spend more, positive reviews, etc. It all leads to something else, and all of the information is clearly visible and dictated to the player. alternatively, bad interactions leads to consequences - poor reviews, missed customers, lot sabatage. Then, you have actual things to unlock - gameplay mechanics. New ways of selling things to Sims, new things to sell, new ways of doing things. Getting new packs meant new business to run. In TS2, you can even unlock a very high risk interaction that is used to drive up sales and employee morale at the cost of your own needs, which may kill you.

That is not really in TS4, or not openly dictated to the player. There is nothing that effects much of anything. It is all surface and superficial, and only built to give them impression of change. Mechanics should promote longevity, and that is why TS4 gets boring quickly: it does not have very many deep mechanics or emerging gameplay.

Remember having family members work in restaurants? That was not just something cute to see. That is a cost effective way of saving money (not having to pay another household) and being able to control skill development. It is also great for story telling purposes, and provide more jobs in the game.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#5579 Old 20th Oct 2017 at 1:24 PM
TS2 Dating had benefits. If you impressed your date or made him fall in love, expect a flower or a bontique or a letter, or a random object (If you're lucky, you may get an expensive one like a grand piano). Of course If it sucked or was fine, you may expect the worse (like a flaming bag of poop in your yard) or nothing respectively). Mood rise/drop also plays the role in the corresponding result after the date ends. Not sure If you get anything from throwing a party in TS4.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5580 Old 20th Oct 2017 at 1:39 PM
I think successful outings and gatherings unlocks build/buy mode stuff.

The problem is that this is usually static stuff that may or may not have an aura. Like, sure, this fancy dining table I unlocked is gorgeous, but how this change how I go about a date? Hell, even new social interactions from other packs should effect a date.

For example, if I unlocked a salute from a military career branch, that should probably make a date hot and steamy or something if their traits make the Sims likely to be attracted by power or something, idk.

This is why the qualities system is better than traits - they do not have to fine tune gameplay variety for 100 different traits, and personalities deride from a number on the scale, not traits that do not have any effect on much of anything unless you chose green thumb to get a boost on gardening or something.

Mad Poster
#5581 Old 20th Oct 2017 at 2:33 PM
In TS2 (go and hate me for comparing), you can even get a restaurant coupon that you can use for another date dine out but less cheaper with the cost of the dishes you order. You also can get a number from their friend If they had a great data, which I guess opens up the possibilities for establishing more friendships (especally useful for popularity seeking sims).
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5582 Old 20th Oct 2017 at 3:08 PM
Look at how detailed the system and rewards are for TS2.

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Dating

Field Researcher
#5583 Old 20th Oct 2017 at 6:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
Potentially it could be a *good* thing we don't see any gurus in the community right now. Could mean they are too busy frantically trying to fix a lot of the shit we're all complaining about before release! :D

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YEAH RIGHT!

Naaaaah, bruh, they're too busy trying to come up with even more pathetic excuses.
Forum Resident
#5584 Old 20th Oct 2017 at 7:26 PM
https://twitter.com/TheSims/status/921420939828400128

I'm really trying not to bash every new CAP video, but holy heck, these costumes and creations are terrifying

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5585 Old 20th Oct 2017 at 8:01 PM
Meanwhile, build mode is looking phenomenal. Cape Cod is one of my favorites, and the window and door variety looks to be okay.

Mad Poster
#5586 Old 20th Oct 2017 at 9:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
^ This, Rabbit Holes where nothing but pretend content. And pretend content is not really better than no content at all.

"No honest, your Sims are having Prom in that hollow cardboard shool! Here have a lame pop-up message you will see every time the game is pretending that your SIms are having prom and just use your imagination!"

Woooooo

I liked the rabbit holes. They were really good for when you're playing large households and needed something to keep some of your sims busy (something that also resulted in increased skill and relationship levels, special items, and positive moodlets). I'd rather they at least give us the illusion that something is there rather than not giving it to us at all.....in some cases, anyway. Their sorry excuse for a city was too much illusion.

The Receptacle still lives!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5587 Old 20th Oct 2017 at 9:36 PM
Even TS2 had some rabbit hole style events with the chance card stuff. You can not simulate everything. At the very least, they should provide something. Anything.

The same can be said about karaoke from city living. It has a skill tree attached to it, but it is only used for more songs. It is not at all tied to music or the entertainment career. It exists in a void.

Content should always lead to more content or practical rewards.

Mad Poster
#5588 Old 20th Oct 2017 at 10:10 PM
I mean like, race isn't that hard to simulate. Surely they could go deeper and widther by having more profressions implement than inactive careers.
Field Researcher
#5589 Old 21st Oct 2017 at 5:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
I loved how you could unintentionally make car bombs in TS3.

Aaaaaahhhhhh Damn!!! Totally Forgot about that! I have new goals for my Sims 3 game tomorrow. BWHAAHAAAAHAAAAAAA
Scholar
#5590 Old 21st Oct 2017 at 7:39 AM

Cursed image.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Theorist
#5591 Old 21st Oct 2017 at 8:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12

Cursed image.

the resolution of the buttons on the dogs outfit tho...
Lab Assistant
#5592 Old 21st Oct 2017 at 8:41 AM

That's not an outfit lol. They painted the fur to look like that
Scholar
#5593 Old 21st Oct 2017 at 9:04 AM

Cursed MS Paint image.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Instructor
#5594 Old 21st Oct 2017 at 10:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12

Cursed image.

KILL IT WITH NAPALM!

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
Theorist
#5595 Old 21st Oct 2017 at 1:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kaspookaboo

well that makes it slightly better I guess, but still...
Forum Resident
#5596 Old 21st Oct 2017 at 1:56 PM
The interesting thing is that there's thread on the official forums and it's about whether people will create normal or colorful pets. Guess what? Everyone there says they'll play with normal pets. Two or three people say they'll maybe play around with the options to create pets for their Vampires, but basically everyone only plays normal pets [insert shrug emote]
Mad Poster
#5597 Old 21st Oct 2017 at 1:56 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 21st Oct 2017 at 8:36 PM.
well that makes it slightly better I guess, but still...

I wondering If they could just 3D;ed those painted balls into actual balls instead of dots. In real life, I seen people who make-up their body into three=d images. Perhaps cast doesn't have tools for that, as developers spend all of the budget to trying to fix the kiddie soup ball pit.
Mad Poster
#5598 Old 21st Oct 2017 at 2:12 PM
Imagine having such a shitty engine that you have to be mindful of polygons. In 2017.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#5599 Old 21st Oct 2017 at 2:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kaspookaboo

Ah! Ok, so it is a "paint by number" poodle.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Field Researcher
#5600 Old 21st Oct 2017 at 5:32 PM Last edited by thevogel : 21st Oct 2017 at 6:50 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Imagine having such a shitty engine that you have to be mindful of polygons. In 2017.

Right!!!???

It just makes me insane....it's one of the many reasons I just can't bring myself to play TS4....and fiercely with as much bad language as possible, make fun of it. It's the only way I can accept the fact that I fell for buying it and getting a couple of the stuff packs before coming to the realization that we were all duped.

Look what they did to the pets.... they look like Playdough, even more than the Sims do. I'm mean COME ON!!! Like GrijzePilion said.... it's 2017.... and that is what you game engine does???? What a crock of shit.
Locked thread
Page 224 of 447