Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 11:48 AM Last edited by Hyaeyo : 19th Oct 2017 at 12:38 PM.
DeviceConfig.log is completely empty.
Hey everyone, having a very annoying problem. I'm trying to re-install the sims 3 on a pc i've played on it before. It's a Lenovo with graphics NVIDIA gefore 960m. When trying to run the game it gives me the device 0 cannot run this title no supported video graphics card detected. So i try to make it see my graphics card. a tutorial tells me to get in my device config to get my graphics card name and to keep it open for a chipset device number. Now i know my graphics card name but no idea what the chipset part means. I've already uninstalled and re-installed. I've restarted my pc and updated all my drivers, i've deleted DeviceConfig and made it appear again, still empty. I've never had this problem before and i usually seem to be able to fix them but this one i cannot figure out at all. Please help.

EDIT. I played with my integrated graphics card (intel) it worked and my device config was full. But how do i play it on my geforce gtx 960M i've done it before. But when i try to run it on gefore it says the same error as stated above.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 12:47 PM
One common reason for this is that your Nvidia card's drivers need to be updated but by way of the manufacturer (Lenovo), not Windows Update or some other source. A mismatched or improper driver no matter where it came from is only going to prevent the game from using the card.

Another reason is that you haven't yet setup a profile in Nvidia Control Panel (or Nvidia Inspector, etc.) for the game to use the high def card (and specify vertical sync to cap the frame rates while you are at it). Many laptops have dual graphics and it's possible that the game is trying to startup from an onboard Intel graphics chip but is unable to do that in this case so you get the failure. The thing with the sgr files and device IDs is for graphics card recognition, not detection. An unrecognized graphics card will still work in most cases, it just won't necessarily load a proper set of defaults. But if undetected, then all bets are off and the game won't run so that has to be addressed first.

Edit: Ah, with your update as I was typing the above I see that you are already on your way to solving the issue. But by what method are you directing the game to use which card?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 12:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
One common reason for this is that your Nvidia card's drivers need to be updated but by way of the manufacturer (Lenovo), not Windows Update or some other source. A mismatched or improper driver no matter where it came from is only going to prevent the game from using the card.

Another reason is that you haven't yet setup a profile in Nvidia Control Panel (or Nvidia Inspector, etc.) for the game to use the high def card (and specify vertical sync to cap the frame rates while you are at it). Many laptops have dual graphics and it's possible that the game is trying to startup from an onboard Intel graphics chip but is unable to do that in this case so you get the failure. The thing with the sgr files and device IDs is for graphics card recognition, not detection. An unrecognized graphics card will still work in most cases, it just won't necessarily load a proper set of defaults. But if undetected, then all bets are off and the game won't run so that has to be addressed first.

Edit: Ah, with your update as I was typing the above I see that you are already on your way to solving the issue. But by what method are you directing the game to use which card?

I went to my desktop, right click on NVIDIA control panel, and selected integrated graphics. Now my deviceconfig is full with basically the whole shabang for intel graphics. I've played on NVIDIA before on the same laptop, so i don't quite understand why it doesn't work now. I used a tutorial for this where it tells me to go in the DeviceConfig and copy and paste the name of graphicscard and in the line Chipset the device number into both somewhere in the Graphics Card sgr and Graphicsrule sgr. And then it worked. but now i don't have the device name unless it also works with the Intel one. I hope i'm not being too confusing and i also am not sure if im allowed to post links so you can see the tutorial. Basically Intel - works. Nvidia - crashes, instead of giving me the Graphics card not detected line when start up. (which i got before)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 1:33 PM
What we are meant to do is open the Nvidia Control Panel program and set up a profile for the TS3 executable. Then set that profile to use the higher definition card and arrange for vsync to cap the frame rate. The "correct" executable is TS3.exe for Patch 1.69 and TS3w.exe (with the "w") for Patches 1.67 and below. I can't show you a screenshot of my own because my card is AMD and managed a different way, but can offer this one from another player.
http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...omment_14991412

It's great that you had success with the sgr file edits prior, but that's intended to solve a different problem. Again, detection and recognition are not the same things.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 1:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
What we are meant to do is open the Nvidia Control Panel program and set up a profile for the TS3 executable. Then set that profile to use the higher definition card and arrange for vsync to cap the frame rate. The "correct" executable is TS3.exe for Patch 1.69 and TS3w.exe (with the "w") for Patches 1.67 and below. I can't show you a screenshot of my own because my card is AMD and managed a different way, but can offer this one from another player.
http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...omment_14991412

It's great that you had success with the sgr file edits prior, but that's intended to solve a different problem. Again, detection and recognition are not the same things.

Okay uhm, i think my graphics card might've crashed before.. So i turned my laptop on and off and suddenly it shows Nvidia in the deviceconfig. I hope no one else has this problem because i don't really know what i really did to fix this but turning it on and off seemed to recognize the graphics card. Thank you so much for helping and i'm sorry i was maybe being very confusing about the situation.
Instructor
#6 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 7:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Hyaeyo
Basically Intel - works. Nvidia - crashes, instead of giving me the Graphics card not detected line when start up.

Blank DeviceConfig is usually because you don't have proper drivers for your GTX960M, both of your Windows OS and TS3 don't recognize it, if you have an old one installed (even if it's not up to date) your DeviceConfig won't be empty, but now that you have Nvidia Control panel, means now you already have Nvidia drivers installed, now in order to make sure your dual switchable graphics devices in your laptop works properly, make sure you have the latest Intel HD Graphics and Nvidia Graphics, you can get these drivers from Lenovo, or you can go to Intel and Nvidia Geforce for the latest ones, and you can go here for dual switchable graphics tutorial for TS3.

Note: Make sure you have and install the Intel HD Graphics first as this is your primary graphics device, your TS3 may run with your Intel graphics even if you don't have any Intel graphics drivers installed because by default your Windows OS will use its standard drivers that came with Windows OS installation, and that could be the cause why your Nvidia crashes when you tell Nvidia control panel to use your Nvidia graphics for TS3. If you don't have proper Intel graphics drivers installed, your dual switchable graphics feature won't work properly even if you have installed the latest Nvidia drivers for your GTX960M.