Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#7026 Old 5th Apr 2019 at 11:49 AM
That's only true if they made the friends on campus.

The want doesn't distinguish between YA and other lifestage friends, so I've had quite a few freshmen make BMOC based on off-campus friends. The Hawkins family of Drama Acres was particularly prone to it, because that family was so huge.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#7027 Old 5th Apr 2019 at 3:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
That a mean sim can come and steal the newspaper right out of your sim's hands while he's reading it.
ou suppose
What do you mean? Do you suppose it was a glitch?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Alchemist
#7028 Old 5th Apr 2019 at 3:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
ou suppose
What do you mean? Do you suppose it was a glitch?

I don't know, was it? I assumed I just didn't know they could do that. Samantha Ottomas ran up to my sim who was standing on his lawn reading his paper about to find a place of his own. She did the mean-looking hand rubbing thing, then grabbed it right out of his hands and ran off with it.
Mad Poster
#7029 Old 5th Apr 2019 at 5:01 PM
Sounds like Samantha was angry with that person... or something happened to her personality. Did one of the sims on your lot do something to honk her off?
Mad Poster
#7030 Old 5th Apr 2019 at 5:17 PM
Stealing the newspaper out of a sim's hands is normal. I believe the newspaper is only safe if it's inside - I've had it stolen on the doorstep before.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
#7031 Old 5th Apr 2019 at 5:17 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 5th Apr 2019 at 9:12 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Stealing the newspaper out of a sim's hands is normal. I believe the newspaper is only safe if it's inside - I've had it stolen on the doorstep before.

That's what I assumed. That's why I put it here in things I just discovered.

Quote: Originally posted by JDacapo
Sounds like Samantha was angry with that person... or something happened to her personality. Did one of the sims on your lot do something to honk her off?

Well, that's why they always steal the paper, right? I just didn't know she could take it out of his hands while he's reading it.
Forum Resident
#7032 Old 5th Apr 2019 at 8:20 PM
I use a cc outhouse on some lots. I've had newspaper thieves creep up to it while a sim is inside, reach through the wall, and then run off with the paper being read by the sim using the outhouse.
Inventor
#7033 Old 5th Apr 2019 at 9:23 PM
Yup, I've had newspapers stolen right out of a sim's hand as well. If I'm intent on using the paper, I grab it as soon as I can and put it inside. If the game has already spawned a newspaper stealer, which it will sometimes do before there's a chance to grab it, I pause and turn moveobjects on so I can put it safely into my sims inventory. This prevents it from disappearing and the thief just runs off empty-handed.
Mad Poster
#7034 Old 5th Apr 2019 at 9:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
I don't know, was it? I assumed I just didn't know they could do that. Samantha Ottomas ran up to my sim who was standing on his lawn reading his paper about to find a place of his own. She did the mean-looking hand rubbing thing, then grabbed it right out of his hands and ran off with it.

That seems to be the way newspaper theft works. Once a thief sim has locked onto the newspaper, NOTHING can prevent them from stealing it. Even if your sim has brought the newspaper into the house and is reading it, if the thief has already locked onto the paper, it WILL get stolen! Once the thief starts doing their "growling and rubbing hands" animation, you can kiss your newspaper goodbye.

I've had sims put their newspaper on an end table in the front hall with locked doors and the thief managed to steal it anyway - the newspaper just "teleports" into the thief's hands.
Inventor
#7035 Old 5th Apr 2019 at 9:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
That seems to be the way newspaper theft works. Once a thief sim has locked onto the newspaper, NOTHING can prevent them from stealing it. Even if your sim has brought the newspaper into the house and is reading it, if the thief has already locked onto the paper, it WILL get stolen! Once the thief starts doing their "growling and rubbing hands" animation, you can kiss your newspaper goodbye.

You can prevent it by using moveobjects to put the newspaper into your sim's inventory. Once it's there, the thief is foiled and runs off! When they're gone, you can pull it out again and use it normally.
Mad Poster
#7036 Old 5th Apr 2019 at 10:02 PM
It's good to know there's a way around the newspaper thieves if absolutely necessary. I've been treating it as as a minor crime wave - the equivalent of "vandalism" or something similar. As often as not, I'm relieved. It just means that a household without a garden doesn't have to take the trouble to throw the paper in the trash. I make sure every neighborhood has a copy of Moghughson's newspaper rack somewhere - usually at the local grocery store. If the family absolutely has to have a newspaper for some reason, they can go to the store and buy one.

http://www.modthesims.info/d/381788...-newspaper.html
Mad Poster
#7037 Old 6th Apr 2019 at 1:02 AM
Do you know that sims will use pretty much that same animation for stealing gnomes and any gnome-like outdoor sculprue like Chickenfeed Charlie?
Forum Resident
#7038 Old 6th Apr 2019 at 2:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
It's good to know there's a way around the newspaper thieves if absolutely necessary. I've been treating it as as a minor crime wave - the equivalent of "vandalism" or something similar. As often as not, I'm relieved. It just means that a household without a garden doesn't have to take the trouble to throw the paper in the trash. I make sure every neighborhood has a copy of Moghughson's newspaper rack somewhere - usually at the local grocery store. If the family absolutely has to have a newspaper for some reason, they can go to the store and buy one.

http://www.modthesims.info/d/381788...-newspaper.html

You could have your Sims craft a sentry bot and put it on duty. Not only does it zap those would be newspaper swipers and make them run off empty handed, but it also deters burglars.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Mad Poster
#7039 Old 6th Apr 2019 at 4:12 AM
Some families do have sentry bots, but not all of them can afford to buy robots or have access to a workbench.
Lab Assistant
#7040 Old 6th Apr 2019 at 1:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Misaki Chan
So one of the richer Sims of my neighborhood just walked up to the pastor's front door, stole his newspaper and ran off the lot.
Never knew that could happen, I mean, especially to the pastor, lol.

Update on the newspaper thief: He did it again to two more families!
He's in the politics career, so maybe he's trying to stop fake news from spreading in the hood? :p
Forum Resident
#7041 Old 6th Apr 2019 at 10:18 PM

It doesn't have to be inside, but I think it has to be used. So if your sim reads the paper on the front porch and sets it down outside, it won't be stolen. At least that's my experience.
Mad Poster
#7042 Old 7th Apr 2019 at 12:06 AM
About sentry robots; I never use any of the robots anymore, it's so awful when they break (like, the cleaning one starts leaving piles of trash everywhere). What does the sentry do when they break?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Forum Resident
#7043 Old 7th Apr 2019 at 12:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
About sentry robots; I never use any of the robots anymore, it's so awful when they break (like, the cleaning one starts leaving piles of trash everywhere). What does the sentry do when they break?

It's been a while since I've had a sentry bot run amok. But if I recall correctly, it starting roaming around the lot and house randomly shocking people.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Top Secret Researcher
#7044 Old 8th Apr 2019 at 2:47 AM
The fear "be kissed by grandparent".

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Mad Poster
#7045 Old 8th Apr 2019 at 3:23 AM
I don't know what is funnier. The silly fear? or the *how to* to achieve it...

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#7046 Old 8th Apr 2019 at 6:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat

You can try the versions that Paladin posted at SimWardrobe. You can only have one of each per lot, but they never break. All three are hoverbots. The "Sani-bot" uses a disintegrator ray instead of a vacuum cleaner; "Cantina-bot" can retrieve any group meal, not just pizza; the "Programmable Attack Robot" can be ordered to attack almost any sim.

https://simfileshare.net/folder/15694/
Lab Assistant
#7047 Old 8th Apr 2019 at 1:45 PM
When a sim with maxed out enthusiasm for film & literature reads a book and is in the zone, there is music playing. Fitting to the genre of the book (except for cooking books). I don't know if this is common knowledge, I never heard it before. ^^''

Sorry for my grammar errors - english is not my native language :)
Mad Poster
#7048 Old 8th Apr 2019 at 10:16 PM
I've discovered that, if a teen is in a bad enough mood, he/she won't go to school autonomously. Neither Spencer Waugh nor Kyle Macdonald had done their homework the night before, so they got up early to try to do it before the school bus came. There wasn't enough time. A "Go to School" action appeared in Kyle's queue, and at about half past eight, I told him just to leave the rest of his homework so he didn't miss the bus. But there was no such action in Spencer's queue. Instead, about half past eight he stood up with his homework in his hand, and carried it out of the front door. Then he carried it right round the side of the house to the back door. When he got there, he put it down (66% done) on the veranda there and started to cry. His Fun bar was almost solid red. When I clicked on the school bus, it did have the option "Go to School", but I hadn't the heart to make him go. His Fun bar had been red when he came home from school the day before, so, if I sent him there in that state (with his homework unfinished), what state would he be in by one o'clock? I think I'm minded to take him out of school altogether.

Sometimes I think that compulsory secondary education is really overrated: if you hate school as much as that, it's unlikely to be doing you much good.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#7049 Old 8th Apr 2019 at 10:25 PM
I agree. Kids need to be given customized education and such, and maybe given a homeschool option so they don't have to deal with bullies or teachers who might have it in for them.
Top Secret Researcher
#7050 Old 9th Apr 2019 at 1:07 AM
It pretty recently occurred to me that good students don't need to go to school every day. Once they've hit 5+ (or probably called A+ in English), they can skip school for a couple of days fine. I make them go to school again when they've hit 3 so they don't get a "Got a 2" bad memory. Now my children and teens get so much more done! No school = no homework either!

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Page 282 of 442