Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Feb 2013 at 7:21 PM
Default Pushable object tutorial?
I would like to make the large stage chess pieces that came with Showtime to be pushable. However I'm not sure how. I've been looking through the tutorial section but I've only gotten even more confused. Could someone tell me which tutorial to use? Thank you.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 4th Feb 2013 at 8:23 PM
You should just have to give it the same script as a similar pushable object.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Feb 2013 at 12:51 AM
You mean just by editing the OBJK file in s3PE? It's that simple?
Forum Resident
#4 Old 5th Feb 2013 at 2:10 AM
Could be, try it.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Feb 2013 at 2:31 PM
Well, I used the script of the pushable tomb statue but was unable to test because they won't appear in game. I tried with both the knight (wich is not simport item) and the king (which is simport item) but neither one shows up, even though I made sure that the flags were right. I've only ever had this similar problem with the Pets EP fireplace, which also refuses to appear. I could take pics from the S3PE flag categories if that would help. Suggestions are also more than welcome.
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 5th Feb 2013 at 2:56 PM
You can change script on objects with a similar setup.
Changing a script from a object without sim/object animations to a script that does use them is alot more work.
You need to add the line ''animations'' to the OBJK's ComponentList for instance.
And update RIG and RLST.
You better use a tomb as base them
Alchemist
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Feb 2013 at 3:07 PM Last edited by varpunen : 5th Feb 2013 at 3:40 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
You can change script on objects with a similar setup.
Changing a script from a object without sim/object animations to a script that does use them is alot more work.
You need to add the line ''animations'' to the OBJK's ComponentList for instance.
You better use a tomb as base them

I did add the animation line from the OBJK list:

And the script is from a tomb object. I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding something.

And update RIG and RLST.

How do I do that? Or is this how: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=382724
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 5th Feb 2013 at 5:19 PM
If a sim can interact with a object it needs to be able to walk to a reference point were the animation starts.(routing)
Those are located in both the RIG and RLST file
offsets can be added or edited with s3Pe's grid.
a easier editor for the rig file is Atevera's rig editor.(http://code.google.com/p/s3pi-wrappers/downloads/list)

You also can try to simply replace the rig and rlst with the ones from the tomb.
just dont forget to update the rig's name and the instance number from the rslt(using the s3pe's grid)

you sure your categories are correct?
Forum Resident
#9 Old 5th Feb 2013 at 5:29 PM
Or you can gather the meshes and textures from your chess pieces and use those with a direct clone of a tomb object with TSRW.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#10 Old 5th Feb 2013 at 6:10 PM Last edited by varpunen : 5th Feb 2013 at 7:06 PM.
Thank you both for your help. Here are my flag choices.

I only removed the showStage flag.
Sockpuppet
#11 Old 5th Feb 2013 at 6:27 PM
if it doesn't show in the catalog its due the flags.
even a wrong build object will still show in cat
Alchemist
Original Poster
#12 Old 5th Feb 2013 at 7:05 PM
Okay, I made a brand new clones, didn't do any changes to the flags and they are now showing in game. The only exception is the king and queen and I think it has something to do with them being a simport items. I don't know how to get around that, except by following Omegastarr's advice about TSRW. I was hoping that it could have been done by s3pe.

So, they're showing and I can export and replace the RIG + RSLT files. But then the only thing I don't understand is... "dont forget to update the rig's name and the instance number from the rslt(using the s3pe's grid)". I opened them both by using the grid but then I don't actually know what to do. In RSLT I can see...

Version
PublicChunks
Unused
Resources
chunkEntries

I think I'm being a bit stupid right now.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 5th Feb 2013 at 7:42 PM
I think he means to just make sure to update all the references to the new RIG and instance numbers where they are referenced. You do this by using the grid button and looking under the TGI section, I think.
Sockpuppet
#14 Old 5th Feb 2013 at 7:46 PM
The rig is not that important but the rlst has a instance number that changes if you choose replace from the menu.
So, before you replace the rlst file you open it with s3pe's grid and in the popup you open chunkentries/chunkentries/TGIblocks
Copy the line with the instance number, then exit.
Replace the RLST file with the one from tomb, then open it again with the grid and change the instance number back by pasting the original line you just copied.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#15 Old 5th Feb 2013 at 9:01 PM Last edited by varpunen : 5th Feb 2013 at 10:29 PM.
Ah, I understand now. Thank you both for helping me so much. I believe I can get them to work now.

Edit: They're in game (except king and queen) but they have no interactions. Here's exactly what I did:

1. Made new clones
2. Changed the script into the tomb objects one in OBJK - including the animation option
3. Replaced both GRID and RSLT
4. Added back the original instances

Did I miss something?
Forum Resident
#16 Old 5th Feb 2013 at 11:06 PM
Just for shit and giggles I tired making one using the swap method in TSRW with the king piece, it worked just fine. Are you making sure to add triggers and stuff to the pieces before you try pushing them? Without triggers they don't do anything.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#17 Old 6th Feb 2013 at 9:46 AM
Yes, I tried that. I used the command "Make Movable" (that's the command in my language) but when I tell my sim to push the chess piece, all the moving options - push, pull, etc. - are all greyed out (works fine with the original tomb statue). I'm trying to create a giant chess board for my wip world, so those options are the only ones really needed. I know a few others who were looking for this same thing since it existed in Sims 2 - if I remember right - and I was hoping to provide that.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 6th Feb 2013 at 5:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
Yes, I tried that. I used the command "Make Movable" (that's the command in my language) but when I tell my sim to push the chess piece, all the moving options - push, pull, etc. - are all greyed out (works fine with the original tomb statue). I'm trying to create a giant chess board for my wip world, so those options are the only ones really needed. I know a few others who were looking for this same thing since it existed in Sims 2 - if I remember right - and I was hoping to provide that.

You have to give it a reason to be movable, IE to open a door, turn on a light. I used the display message option and my sim was able to then push/pull it. You have to link it to another trigger, it's cause and effect, not just cause.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#19 Old 6th Feb 2013 at 6:31 PM
But the original object - the goblin looking tomb statue - works just fine with just the command "make movable", without linkin it. Since the script, rig and rslt are copied from it, shouldn't the funtion be the same, as well.

Sorry. I don't mean to be dense or anything. I also played around with the trickers but couldn't get it to work. I've never really used trickers in game and I'm not very good with them. Still - as above - I can make to original object work.
Sockpuppet
#20 Old 6th Feb 2013 at 7:09 PM
well, it is not as easy as some think...
It is possible that the tomb has specific joints that need to be added to the mlods.
You already did assigne the pieces to the correct joints right?
Wat is the reason you rather convert a normal object then using the tomb as base?
Alchemist
Original Poster
#21 Old 6th Feb 2013 at 7:24 PM Last edited by varpunen : 6th Feb 2013 at 8:19 PM.
well, it is not as easy as some think...
It is possible that the tomb has specific joints that need to be added to the mlods.
You already did assigne the pieces to the correct joints right?
Wat is the reason you rather convert a normal object then using the tomb as base?

Joints... you mean replasing the RIG and RSLT files? Yes. Or was there something more I was supposed to do? I know this must be so clear to you guys... sorry.

I've used s3oc, Texture Tweaker and s3PE(slightly) but not TSRW and I don't currently have it installed. I tried it one time but the result made my game crash and the experience wasn't very nice. But I think I'll just have to go and dowload it now and use the Omegastarr's swap method. Maybe then I'll get them to finally work.

Edit: Okay, I downloaded the TSRW and this is what I have now...

Do I need to replace anything else than the mesh, mask, multiplier and flags or do anything else before exporting to game? (Hopeafully I won't make it crash this time )
Sockpuppet
#22 Old 6th Feb 2013 at 10:15 PM
often a object that animates has boneweights.(one or more joints assigned to the mesh)
Did you check the tomb mesh jointassignements/boneweighting in Milkshape or Blender?
Alchemist
Original Poster
#23 Old 6th Feb 2013 at 11:28 PM
No. I don't have either program. I didn't know that I needed one, although I was considering getting the blender because it's needed for making poses.

But anyway, I exported the King, made a package version and tested in game. It works, it finally works. Such a relief. Of course, since the new object is slimmer than original, the sim's hands won't actually touch the object but I was fully expecting that anyway. Now I just have to make the other pieces. Thank you Bloom and thank you Omegastarr for your help and patience. I've actually learned a lot from both of you through this thread and am a lot wiser now... hopeafully. Thank you again.
Forum Resident
#24 Old 7th Feb 2013 at 1:09 AM
No problem, I think that your idea to make those pieces pushable is very smart, Harry Potter chess anyone?
Sockpuppet
#25 Old 7th Feb 2013 at 7:59 AM
by updating the routing you can bring a sim closer to the object.(this often requieres you to update the footprint aswell.)
RLST and FTP(s3PE)or slot tabs in tsrw
and your welcome
Page 1 of 2