Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#51 Old 4th Nov 2010 at 7:30 PM
Hi All again,

TheSodalist ....Madaya has fixed her windows and doors....And yes,several doors have the same issues as several windows.

Sandy: Thanks so much for all your wonderful work.I imagine how hard it is for creators to have to fix issues caused by Ea's patches and EPs.Hope it will not discourage you from creating.We love your stuff (and you) so much.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 4th Nov 2010 at 8:31 PM
Sandy what little "tool" do you use to make wall mask?
I have something in my mind but it require precise wall mask and it's really hard to do it with graphics programs

VISIT MY NEW SITE hudy777DeSign
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 4th Nov 2010 at 9:03 PM
Hudy, I meant the tool included with the TSR Workshop (Misc/Wall Mask/Generate; it's supposed to generate the mask by itself, from your mesh). I've tried also with the latest version of the TSR Workshop (2.0.8, available since 11/2nd), but it didn't change anything. The only thing that worked was using DXT1 - 1-bit alpha (which isn't a great choice in term of quality. I think I won't try to make any new windows!). Didn't you need to use that format?

Thanks for your nice words, Mehrlicht! :lovestruc
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 4th Nov 2010 at 10:24 PM Last edited by hudy777 : 5th Nov 2010 at 10:22 PM.
I use paint.NET as graphic program and these are the setting that I used

i didn't change DXT, i just checked "Generate Mip Maps" box

Theorist
#55 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 7:31 PM
Does anyone know what those people did to fix their windows and doors?

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Test Subject
#56 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 10:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mehrlicht
TheSodalist ....Madaya has fixed her windows and doors.

Excellent, I will have to redownload them.

Thanks
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 10:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
Does anyone know what those people did to fix their windows and doors?

We changed wall mask (picture above your post shows you how does wall mask look in TSRW. Wall mask is picture that represents hole in the wall Different shapes of windows/doors have different wall masks.)

This window have bad wall mask

These windows have good wall mask

With latest patch you are able to put half walls so EA changed the way that wall mask works.

Lab Assistant
#58 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 11:59 PM
The custom Monticello windows were the only windows I have ran into a problem with thus far. I simply pulled the .package files from the directory and everything is running fine so far. I wait to see if the author fixes them and then I will put them back. So far so good!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#59 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 12:25 AM
I'm gonna move this thread to Create since it's turning into a discussion on fixing windows, which is a matter for modders.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#60 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 12:43 AM
And I have merged this one with another one regarding custom window masks that was already here, so if some posts seem a bit out of sorts that would be why.
Theorist
#61 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 4:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hudy777
We changed wall mask (picture above your post shows you how does wall mask look in TSRW. Wall mask is picture that represents hole in the wall Different shapes of windows/doors have different wall masks.)

Thanks. Is there a way -in laymans terms- that could allow me to change the mask for the windows I have? Around 40. I don't understand most of whats posted above.

#BlairWitchPetition
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#62 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 5:11 PM
What is being changed is the dds image for the wall masks. That is the dds image that is just black/white in the rgb with an alpha layer and is what creates the cutout for the door/window. It seems as though the dds must be exported, opened in a graphics editor and resaved as dxt1 with 1bit alpha, then reimported into the package. Not sure if some were saved as a different format and that is the issue or what.

The problem is, is that most windows were made with tsrw and you can't simply open a package file in S3PE and edit it. This usually borks the whole package file and they no longer show in game. The best thing to do is notify creators and give them the opportunity to fix them because if they have their original wrk files it is quite quick and easy.

If you do this yourself by importing the package into tsrw, then you have created a new object as tsrw will renumber this. The problem then comes if you share a lot using the windows or you download a lot that uses those windows. You now have a windowless house. lol
Theorist
#63 Old 9th Nov 2010 at 2:49 PM
Over at Custom Sims 3 they are saying that arches are part of the problem too. Anything that locks into walls basically.

http://livingsims.nl/forum/showthre...tid=2264&page=1

#BlairWitchPetition
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#64 Old 9th Nov 2010 at 3:43 PM
Theorist
#65 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 5:59 PM
I don't know what to do. Most of my windows are TSR ones, and they're not even mentioning it over there.
And on most sites I've seen, the original upload date stays there, rather than the new one so its hard to tell if its updated or not.
The nice Aroundthesims church windows were updated, and I dl'd them again, but the old date of febuary is still there.
It could be an architectural disaster if I carried my town on without those windows so I can't play my main save.

#BlairWitchPetition
Alchemist
#66 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 8:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
Most of my windows are TSR ones, and they're not even mentioning it over there.
Why is it I have no difficulty believing they aren't mentioning this issue? If it's true it's just so...TSR of them...lol.

I'm not sure what your problem is with Sandy's church windows if she's updated them. Are you saying you aren't sure they're actually updated? Knowing Sandy, if she says she did then she did...if you don't want to count on her impeccable reputation you could always just ask her. By the by...that link you gave isn't for a thread at Custom Sims 3.
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#67 Old 19th Nov 2010 at 10:02 PM
The wall mask failure is very strange. It behaves like trying to install windows with moveobjects on enabled. Has anyone tried reinserting them with/without cheat rather than hammering them?

I'll make a new neighborhood and play with some cc windows and see what results I get.
Theorist
#68 Old 23rd Nov 2010 at 3:24 PM Last edited by tizerist : 23rd Nov 2010 at 3:35 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
I'm not sure what your problem is with Sandy's church windows if she's updated them. Are you saying you aren't sure they're actually updated? Knowing Sandy, if she says she did then she did...if you don't want to count on her impeccable reputation you could always just ask her.

No I know, she said herself that they're updated. But the upload date hasn't changed. Likewise, I have seen many sites displaying the original upload date rather than the new one before. I'm not sure why this happens, but it obviously is a bit confusing. My TSR windows could be updated and I wouldn't know :/
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
By the by...that link you gave isn't for a thread at Custom Sims 3.

It was originally. I have no idea how that changed, but it wasn't me.

And thanks HugeLunatic for the info. I would like to try remasking them myself rather than emailing 15 different creators, some of which don't appear to be English speakers. I've never done this before but I would like to.
And Delphy's Dashboard may uncover dodgy masks in an update hopefully.

#BlairWitchPetition
Test Subject
#69 Old 26th Nov 2010 at 8:07 AM
hola , soy luna de LunaSimsLulamai , quería compartir mi experiencia por si se puede aportar algo , mi juego en este momento creo que funciona correctamente y aquí expuse un poco sobre el tema

Hi, I'm LunaSimsLulamai family wanted to share my experience if you can contribute something, my game right now I think is working well and here I gave a little on the subject

http://lunasimslulamai.jimdo.com/te...actualización/

aún estoy por probar mas ventanas que hice anteriormente a la última expansión
Test Subject
#70 Old 26th Nov 2010 at 10:59 PM
If this helps, I've the <<"The Sims 2 Colonial Tract Door" by Technodrome>>, and it doesn't ctd, but gets sunk in the wall as many of my windows, all in .Package file, single. (I have sims 3 up to date, and late night)

Also, some windows makes the game ctd too.
Inge Jones contemporary windows, (Counter, full, and privacy) can be placed, but after reloading, the window seems to be like a jail window, and if I try to delete it, it crashes.
"Einfact Simlish" all windows sink in the wall. No ctd.
"Euro mullion" one on one by leefish, ctd.
Madaya classical window 2 tiles long, sinks in the wall. The medium one has no problems, the short one is half sink. The "medium" in two tiles is sunk.
Monticello Full Length, sunk.
Blitz colonial window Tall (sims3pack, the only one) Sunk. If I find something else, I'll report it.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#71 Old 26th Nov 2010 at 11:29 PM
P_LG Please report the broken windows to the creators otherwise they will may know. This thread is a discussion about finding and fixing the issues, so you can point the original creators to this thread so that they can see what others have been doing to fix their windows/doors.
Test Subject
#72 Old 27th Nov 2010 at 5:24 PM
Thanks, I will report it.
Theorist
#73 Old 12th Dec 2010 at 5:03 PM
It would be nice if there was an app that scans folders to see if any bad windows/doors/arches come up.
Hopefully the Dashboard will do this in an update.
I've had to remove all non-EA ones because its just so hard to know which ones are trouble, and it makes it very difficult to know what is safe to download, always having to check upload dates, which themselves may not be right.
I fear I may have to carry on with my regular save without my collection of windows doors and arches.
My tombs will be borked badly but unless someone could do a DIY tutorial I don't see any other solution.

#BlairWitchPetition
Forum Resident
#74 Old 13th Dec 2010 at 12:24 AM
Or you can test each window to see if it CTD when used, if so remove, wash, rinse, repeat.
Instructor
#75 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 2:40 PM
This thread scared me because I do not want to do something that makes others' game crashes!
I have therefore checked all my windows and doors with Late Night and the latest patch. All seems to work well, at least in my game.

/ Lisen
Page 3 of 3