Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Mar 2005 at 10:06 PM
Default Hi - I have a question about 3D MAX ?
Good evening everybody :howdy:

I am having a little problem importing Obj-files into my 3D MAX ( and I do have the OBJ plugin )

- Does anybody inhere use 3D MAX and can help in this department ?

WindBlower
Advertisement
Mesh Maestro
#2 Old 11th Mar 2005 at 10:09 PM Last edited by JWoods : 11th Mar 2005 at 10:12 PM.
I have had the same problem... Try downloading UV mapper classic...
It's free... http://www.uvmapper.com/

Open your object in UV mapper clasic then apply UV map... Save as object file and it should rectify the problem... Hope this helped...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Mar 2005 at 10:12 PM
Dear JWoods Great thanks to you

I have already downloaded UV mapper classic - but I did not know how to use it in relation to the SimPE and 3D MAX

I'll try your way - And THANK you SO MUCH!
Great evening / Night to you

WindBlower
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Mar 2005 at 10:21 PM
Hi again,

But When using UV mapping to open a 'obj-mesh'
then it tells me that the loaded model contains out of range UV coordinate data - If I would like to correct this ?

- Should I correct this ?

WindBlower
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Mar 2005 at 11:04 PM
I am also having the problem, that I can't zoom enough so I can move 'vertex'.

- Does anybody know how to fix this part using 3D MAX ?

Have a great evening or night
WindBlower
Mesh Maestro
#6 Old 13th Mar 2005 at 12:36 AM
Yes correct this.. That is how I got it to work with the importer and save your UV map to make your texture...
I have thought it was just a bug in the 3DS Obj. importer, exporter plug-ins...
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#7 Old 13th Mar 2005 at 2:13 AM
The tools section is really meant for sims 2 tools, so I'm sending this off to the Object Creation & Texturing forum.

RG
#8 Old 13th Mar 2005 at 4:30 AM
I've found importing the .obj file into Milkshape then exporting it right back out to the same file name lets it open in 3dsmax with no problems, however its a crapshoot as to whether or not once you've made your changes and export it back out of 3dsmax into Milkshape AGAIN whether or not it will actually load or if it will kill milkshape. :P
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 13th Mar 2005 at 5:45 PM
I've had some success--once you have it in 3dsmax export it as a .3ds file format milkshape recognizes this format
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 13th Mar 2005 at 6:29 PM
I personally have never been able to get an OBJ into 3DS, it just flat out doesn't do anything. I've had to import the OBJ into MilkShape, then export as an Autodesk 3DS file, which can then be ported over to 3D Studio.
#11 Old 14th Mar 2005 at 5:01 PM
Saikatasu, try importing it as an obj into milkshape, then exporting it as an .obj with milkshape into the same file name (copy over it). It'll open in 3dsmax. Then export as an obj again from 3dsmax, open it in milkshape and export it AGAIN to .obj (same file). That's how it usually works for me, tho lately this has been barfing, why I don't know.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Mar 2005 at 7:54 PM
Thanks to you all *S*

I will try to import it into milkshape and export it again, like you explained.

Thanks again

WindBlower
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 14th Mar 2005 at 8:09 PM
Hi again everybody, I've got another question *S*

what does 'error run time '9' '

Subscription out of range - Mean ? (In milkshape)

Have a great evening
WindBlower
#14 Old 16th Mar 2005 at 12:52 AM
It means your .obj file is screwed up. It happens, unfortunately. You'll have to fiddle with your settings in max when you re-export the edited .obj file until it works. I don't know what causes it, it happens off and on.
Test Subject
#15 Old 16th Mar 2005 at 2:15 AM
As I use both 3dsmax 7 and AutoCAD 2005 frequently, I decided to see about importing an obj file that was extracted from a Sims2 object.
Sure enough, it would not import into 3dsmax as is.
However I was able to open that obj file in a program called Deep Exploration ver. 3 and then save it as either a 3ds or obj file, and both opened fine in 3dsmax. Saving it as a 3ds file also allows it to be opened and edited in AutoCAD.
After editing the file in 3dsmax, I then exported it as an obj file and opened it in Deep Exploration, and it looked just fine. Now I don't know if that obj file would then work when imported into SimPE.
I have not attempted to create or modify any 3D meshes for Sims2, as I am still not sure as to how it is done.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 16th Mar 2005 at 2:55 AM
Thanks to you ALL

There was something wrong with the .OBJ file, I've made a new one and it is Okay,

- the only problem that I am having now, is that when I go to see my new mesh in body shop, - it is the 'Original mesh' that shows up...

But now I am down to that *S*

WindBlower
#17 Old 16th Mar 2005 at 3:02 AM
You need to make sure you've got original GUIDs for EVERY SINGLE GMDC file. If your object has four of them, you need to get four GUIDs from the site in the meshtool tutorial. You also need to make sure that, once you get the guids, you hit the 'update mmats and commit' link thing underneath where the guid shows up for EVERY GUID YOU GET. So if you have four GMDCs, you have to get a GUID, then hit the update mmats and commit link, then go to the next one, lather rinse repeat, then go File -- Save. Its kind of confusing in the tutorial because they use the words save and commit interchangably and they are two separate actions.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 16th Mar 2005 at 5:43 AM
I wonder what is GUID although I am not using 3ds max. How do GUID work with modding?
#19 Old 16th Mar 2005 at 6:25 AM
meshtool.modthesims2.com Read it, live it, learn it, love it.

Doesn't matter what editor you're using. GUID is the unique number assigned to every object in the game, it tells the game things like whether or not this dresser is blue or pink, if it has doors or not etc. If you don't have a unique number but rather just edit the cloned file, it still has the same number as the original object and will show up as the original object instead of all your hard work.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 16th Mar 2005 at 7:24 AM
Do body mesh have GUID? Do I need to do similar thing about GUID to body meshes?
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 16th Mar 2005 at 9:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mabelline
Do body mesh have GUID? Do I need to do similar thing about GUID to body meshes?

Err...I got the answer now.Sorry.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 16th Mar 2005 at 9:27 AM
There isn't a GUID for body meshes - objects have one per in game tile plus a 'controller' GUID for the master object that ties them all together - I think, thats how it is for Sims1 and some far brighter soul than me said it was the same deal for Sims2
Test Subject
#23 Old 16th Mar 2005 at 11:17 AM
i use maya 6 unkimeted and have had no problems
Test Subject
#24 Old 16th Mar 2005 at 11:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by WindBlower
I am having a little problem importing Obj-files into my 3D MAX ( and I do have the OBJ plugin )
WindBlower

common problem with 3ds-max - wasn´t fixed, not even in the 7th version of it. i have to import it first into "poser". then export it from there to a 3ds-max file - then it works without problems. and the same way back..*sigh

so i only work on meshes if i have muuuuuch time.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 16th Mar 2005 at 11:53 AM
Great thanks vandalia!

I know this is probably the problem, because I only got one made for only one GM. But as you said, I need all 4.

And I will read/live/breathe meshtool.modthesims2.com

- But is there at meshtool.modthesims2.com, and toturial, explaining More about the GUID (for us newbiees) ? *Smiling*

Have a great day you all

WindBlower
Page 1 of 3