Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 3rd Apr 2005 at 12:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grykon
I wonder what it is about the way blender handles the obj's that milkshape doesn't...Not that I am complaining about MS...So with blender I might be able to create an item I want that sims can click on, but the item just sits there, such as a sculpture.

Exactly. I have made a fully functional bookcase, for example, from a with a model that I made from scratch in blender. So it can be done.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 4th Jun 2005 at 12:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vinther
-snip-
Now, XSI is a very complicated and advanced program, and I find it difficult to use. That's why I am trying to write an Import/Export script for Blender, as are a few others. So, if you are like me and you like Blender, you wait for one of these.

I do like Blender. So much so that I actually decided to try to learn Python in order to write the import/export scripts -- at this point, you can successfully import .obj files, but without 'bones' (acknowledging nod to Dr Pixel for his fine explanation as to why not): apparently, the .obj file format doesn't support 'bones' so one would have to import/export the .smd file as well. Which, if I understand the intricasies involved here, would imply a thorough understanding of both the .smd file format, the .blend file format, the .obj file format and how to all make them dance to your tune.
Anyway, have you heard of anyone versant enough in Python attempting to write this sort of script? Bit of a learning curve for me -- I write in VBA and VB, javascript and a little FoxPro, and I understand the C syntax, but that's a far cry from programming in Python. Still, I'd be willing to have a go...
*~* Robyn

To dream it is the first step towards realization.
Scholar
#28 Old 4th Jun 2005 at 4:09 PM
You wouldn't need the .obj file at all, the .smd file format is completely independant and supports everything needed. So that would simplify it a little for you.

BTW, it looks like someone has started on this, although there isn't much info:
http://projects.blender.org/projects/smdio/
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 9th Jan 2006 at 8:21 AM
GMAX IS 3dMAX and it is FREE! If you can use the converter posted above I guess Gmax would be able to use it. I love this topic. It is perfect. If you want gmax, just google it.
Scholar
#30 Old 9th Jan 2006 at 2:21 PM
i can do it all with 3d max 7. i never touch milkshape. there's some great tutorials at pandora sims 2
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#31 Old 9th Jan 2006 at 2:35 PM
Since this thread has popped up, I'll mention in the bodyshop - meshing area there is now info about getting started with xsi modtool, which I have used successfully to modify a few sim body meshes now.
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 9:08 PM
I started out on 3DS 8 (since my hubby has it) and found it extremely complex voor a beginning Mesher.

My darling hubby then showed me Hexagon, which I personally find very user friendly, you can get a 30 trial full version for free and I'm working with that.

The only problem I have at the moment is importing in SimPE. Hexagon lets you export either .obj and .3ds, but SimPE can't handle the files. If any of the wonderfull meshers out there has any suggestions / tips about this please let me know, any help will be highly appreciated.

What I do at the moment (still in learning stage, trial and error) is export the file from Hexagon as an .obj, import in 3ds and then export again. I have to adjust the XYZ thingies or less my object is on its side ;-), but it seems to work.

For some reason SimPE accepts it then ?!?

But what I was trying to say is that I love Hexagon, easier than 3DS and more options than Milkshape.

Just my 2 cents, not worth much at the moment, I've only been at this for about 5 days now.

Cheers

Dallandra

Well you can't blame me, I'm blond

Almost 1000 Sim 2 links: http://dr.sims.jouwpagina.nl/
Field Researcher
#33 Old 11th Jan 2006 at 6:05 AM
last time i checked 3D MAX ( the free 1) was closed and not for download, only for trial of the full version now. and it looked so good

Come have a look at my downloads HERE for Sims 4 downloads.

Feel free to visit my website to check out my list of creations, to get in touch (for a request), or to donate. HERE

(Or here for sims 2 or here for sims 3 downloads.)
Test Subject
#34 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 2:51 AM
ok for 3D studio max object plugins... the best is to get these few programs that will help you..

1. ObjToMax Plugin
2. MaxToObject Plugin

these two plugins are created by habware and very stable and free to use... one of the best freebie plugins which most professional modelers use.. i should know i use it myself. Now the location to get them is here... http://www.habware.at/ente.htm

Just pick ur 3ds version. and way u go... but before you go... it's important that you should download objactionscaler which is a great tool for resizing issues that may arise. Here's the location for that program as well

http://www.sandylodge.demon.co.uk/html/utilities.html

Good luck and have fun with 3ds and other related programs.
Page 2 of 2