Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Aug 2009 at 4:50 PM
Default Is there any way to extend column?
The column is one floor high. What I want is 2 floor high and 3 floor high. Is there any way to extend it while building?
Advertisement
Typical
#2 Old 22nd Aug 2009 at 4:54 PM
I think you can place a floor tile ontop of a column and then place a comlumn ontop of that.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Aug 2009 at 5:53 PM
ok...any other way besides that please?
Captain Louie
retired moderator
#4 Old 22nd Aug 2009 at 5:56 PM
No, not currently, that I know of.

BUT, fresh-prince made a lovely two story decorative column, if that helps

http://my.modthesims.info/download.php?t=364565

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Theorist
#5 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 3:47 PM
You could delete the floor tile after you place the column but then theres a gap between the 2 where the floor would be, You could try acrostacking them to fill the gap
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 4:11 PM
You don't need a floortile in the first place .. just turn moveobjects on and plunk down the second column.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Typical
#7 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 7:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Just turn moveobjects on and plunk down the second column.

Yeah, but as Robod said, that leaves a gap between the columns.
Test Subject
#8 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 9:39 PM Last edited by RobiBue : 7th Sep 2009 at 4:17 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by yangyangpeter
The column is one floor high. What I want is 2 floor high and 3 floor high. Is there any way to extend it while building?

you can stack columns using constrainFloorElevation off and moveObjects on.

with constrainFloorElevation off you can lower the ground by one click, create a wall and use the level Terrain tool to pull the top of the column down by one, that way there is no empty space between column top and bottom.

some columns don't look good that way and others look better, but it's a workaround.

you might need to try around some combinations
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#9 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 10:48 PM Last edited by FlipGuardian : 8th Sep 2009 at 1:24 AM.
when placing floor tiles you can press Ctrl+F then press the buttons > and < to rotate. That way you get this small diamond shaped tile instead of a huge square tile.

Another thing you can do is build two foundations next to each other, press ctrl+shift+C, type 'constrainfloorelevation false', delete one of the foundations and you get a wall height foundation, then you can put a column on it. http://www.thesims3.com/contentDeta...contentId=83265
Screenshots

There are three sides to a story:
Your side, the other person's side and the truth.

The Sims Cubed
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 17th Sep 2009 at 6:05 PM
I have yet to fully test it, but preliminary messing around indicates that you can also bury (geoblend) a column into the ground and then stick another column on top of it.

So let's say you have a house with a foundation and a couple of floors, and you want pillars on the corners. You could use that method to bury 3/4 of the column so it lines up with the top of the foundation and then put two more columns on top of it.

Is that clear without screenshots? Like I said, I haven't tested it fully, but it's worth mentioning as a related technique, even though it doesn't seem to be something the OP needs to do.
Captain Louie
retired moderator
#11 Old 18th Sep 2009 at 3:19 AM
^ Everything Kribensis said [love those fishies, as a hobbyist, BTW]...

...except made easier to follow

V
Geoblending Tutorial Linkage

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 18th Sep 2009 at 4:04 AM
what you could do is just create a 'column' using the wall tool to make a 1x1 room and treat it as a column. It may look big, but then again if you need 2 or 3 story column, you're more than likely building something grand anyway.

A watched pot never boils. But a watched pan still fries, and a grease fire burns down your house whether you watch it or not.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 18th Sep 2009 at 4:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by QBUILDERZ
^ Everything Kribensis said [love those fishies, as a hobbyist, BTW]...

...except made easier to follow

V
Geoblending Tutorial Linkage

Know what I just realized too? All you'd need to do to get the height right is lay down three stairways and delete them. Just like making a basement. Then level it off, place the column with moveobjects, and bury it.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#14 Old 18th Sep 2009 at 6:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kribensis
Know what I just realized too? All you'd need to do to get the height right is lay down three stairways and delete them. Just like making a basement. Then level it off, place the column with moveobjects, and bury it.

Not quite, but almost (I've done this myself recently) – you need to go 12 steps down (3 stairways), and then ~1 click up again to make the columns connect seamlessly. Otherwise there'll be a gap between the colums, because EA in their infinite wisdom decided to make them *less* than 16 steps high (floor to bottom-of-ceiling, instead of floor-to-floor).

I haven't tested whether the columns *stay* buried, though.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 18th Sep 2009 at 8:00 PM
Nice catch. You're absolutely right. And since it's clicks in TS3, you probably have to do it three times before you get the click just right.