Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jul 2005 at 7:43 AM Last edited by kremesch73 : 23rd Jul 2005 at 5:24 PM. Reason: added a step to the Three-Tone Eye
Default For Photoshop users: Automated Eye Colors
I Hope this is ok to post.
I've never seen anything similar to this on this site, and I'm not even sure if it's something that is allowed. I'm not even certain if this is the correct Forum for it.

***EDITED 07/23/05***
I just realized that I skipped the step that allows you to select a backround color for the swatches in the Three-Tone eye. I don't know how I overlooked that. It's not a big issue, but it's fixed.

A couple of days ago I came across an eye coloring tutorial by deathoflight located here http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=56359

He uses a technique quite similar to what I've used in the past and it got me brainstorming.

I created a set of Actions for Photoshop that contains four actions, each automates the creation of the eye color texture for Photoshop, but will give you slightly different results. There is a Four-Tone (based on the tutorial), a Three-Tone, a Two-Tone, and a One-Tone, depending on the type of effect your are going for.

I created these mainly for fun and because of the fact that I am extremely lazy and once I figure something out, I like to automate it. After getting these about as fine-tuned as I believe possible, I thought it might be nice to share it with others who are interested.

Basically, all the user really has to do is choose the colors they want and save the results to a folder. The Actions do the rest.

I've included a mini-tutorial based on the assumption that the user is a BEGINNER. The tutorial covers everything on where to put the actions, how to load them, how to use them, and covers a little bit of Body Shop export and Import for these textures.

Personally, I think that beginners and advanced texturers alike will have fun with these, and may even design/share some of their own.

The only catch is that you MUST have Photoshop (maybe 5.5 or higher, I'm uncertain about previous versions).

Once again, please let me know if there is a problem with what or where I've posted.

I didn't think about this until after I posted it.
Below is a picture with some results from the automation process.
Top right-left: Four-Tone, Three-Tone
Bottom right-left: Two-Tone, One-Tone
Attached Images

Attached files:
File Type: rar  Eye Colors with Actions Tutorial.rar (40.1 KB, 64 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  SIM_EYES_ACTIONS.rar (26.9 KB, 49 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 23rd Jul 2005 at 7:59 AM
Great idea, it will definitely be handy for those that are doing large batches of eye colours. I too love to make actions for my simming, it's so convenient :D
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jul 2005 at 8:07 AM
Quote:
I too love to make actions for my simming, it's so convenient

If it weren't for the actions, I'd never texture ANYTHING!
Field Researcher
#4 Old 23rd Jul 2005 at 8:45 AM
Nope they both use the same texture, with makeup to.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 23rd Jul 2005 at 10:30 AM
Man, too bad there's not a "Thanks" button on this post. You rock so hard you're in danger of getting whiplash.

So, thanks.
Feeder of Cheesecake to Llamas
retired moderator
#6 Old 23rd Jul 2005 at 3:07 PM
I don't have time to unzip and look at this this weekend, but I promise I will, and after it's made viewable online, I'll link it up in the sticky.

"Living well is the best revenge. . ." George Bernard Shaw
Feeder of Cheesecake to Llamas
retired moderator
#7 Old 28th Jul 2005 at 1:40 PM
You could, but then every time the sim's iris moved out of center, you'd get a very odd double-iris effect in the makeup covered eye.

"Living well is the best revenge. . ." George Bernard Shaw
Scholar
#8 Old 28th Jul 2005 at 2:39 PM Last edited by Nouk : 28th Jul 2005 at 2:51 PM.
I will test it.
I put it here, since I have ImageReady too:
D:/Photoshop/Plugins/PhotoShopOnly

I hope it works

Okay, something is not right. I have a photoshop on my C: drive and one on my D: drive.

I think I screwed up with the re-installation of windows well it works :D
I should remove the one on my D: since it's an old installation, but I'm not sure what will happen then...

Anyway, i'm going to follow your tutorial and I'm sure I'll love it! Thank you very much!
Scholar
#9 Old 28th Jul 2005 at 3:22 PM Last edited by Nouk : 28th Jul 2005 at 3:50 PM. Reason: Found out myself :)
Default Thank U!
I have tested it, and it works great!
But, compared to eyes other people made, they look a bit dull or unclear. I think it's because the pupil is not completely black, an the glare is over it a little.
They look like they have a greyish film over them.
I think I'm picking the wrong overall hues. If I want great contrast and visible difference between the colors of the eyes, should I just skip the whole 'overall hue' part?

**Edit: it can be fixed by altering the brightness before you save it. after that it looks mezmerizing! and a tiny bit darker, but when you start out, you can start out with a color a tad lighter then you want the result to be.

Thank you very much for this tool! This will save lazy me alot of work!
I could never come up with something like this, I'm glad such creative and equally lazy people are around

A result: Dark grey eyes

I'll work on making them more natural

I give it an A!
Test Subject
#10 Old 28th Jul 2005 at 3:52 PM
good job!! :thumb:
it's help if i downloaded the actions.....stupid me
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 28th Jul 2005 at 7:34 PM
Uhh... you say one needs Photoshop for this, do you know if it should work in Photoshop Elements for those that lack the $800 to buy the "real thing" and don't believe in pirated versions. Or should I be a guina pig with that?