Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Feb 2019 at 8:03 AM Last edited by NYC : 15th Feb 2019 at 10:33 AM.
Default Adding transparency to clothes for Sims 2
Hello. I'm trying to add transparency to clothes in Sims 2. By adding black color over white, clothes can be made transparent. But i can't find the exact texture to modify, as every time it only removes the outer color of dress or turns legs and bottom part of clothing to black color. Please help
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Feb 2019 at 11:33 AM
Using the black/white method on alpha will only get you so far as to the limits of the mesh. As long as that part of the mesh is linked to the skin texture, what you'll get is skin showing through. You can see part of the crotch texture on the skirt in your picture.

For actual transparency/invisibility, the mesh part you want to change needs to be a "sheet" of mesh with a front and back, in the shape you want, and it needs to be a separate mesh group not linked to the skin. Under the alpha mesh you usually need a full mesh so those parts of the body don't disappear if you edit the alpha textures (such as legs still showing if you make an alpha skirt shorter). It's how most custom hairs work, too.

Here's a tutorial on how to make an alpha skirt (or other alpha parts): http://stonegod.org/sims2/tutorial/...rial/index.html
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Feb 2019 at 11:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Using the black/white method on alpha will only get you so far as to the limits of the mesh. As long as that part of the mesh is linked to the skin texture, what you'll get is skin showing through. You can see part of the crotch texture on the skirt in your picture.

For actual transparency/invisibility, the mesh part you want to change needs to be a "sheet" of mesh with a front and back, in the shape you want, and it needs to be a separate mesh group not linked to the skin. Under the alpha mesh you usually need a full mesh so those parts of the body don't disappear if you edit the alpha textures (such as legs still showing if you make an alpha skirt shorter). It's how most custom hairs work, too.

Here's a tutorial on how to make an alpha skirt (or other alpha parts): http://stonegod.org/sims2/tutorial/...rial/index.html

Thank you very much! Initially i tried to do this with Sims 4 but without prior knowledge its very hard. So now I'll be starting up with modding Sims 2 first.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 15th Feb 2019 at 2:49 PM
Pretty sure TS4 uses a similar technique for the mesh (front/back plane), but transparency in TS4 isn't quite as easy to work with as in TS2 from what I can gather. The programs are also different.

The Sims4Studio program is quite handy, but it does require you to learn how to use Blender3D. The basic tools are fairiy easy to work with, and seem easier from a beginner perspective than SimPE. I had a couple of read-throughs on an object tutorial before I started grasping it, and so far I've made some object conversions of my TS2 items. I haven't tried making CAS items for TS4, though.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Feb 2019 at 12:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Pretty sure TS4 uses a similar technique for the mesh (front/back plane), but transparency in TS4 isn't quite as easy to work with as in TS2 from what I can gather. The programs are also different.

The Sims4Studio program is quite handy, but it does require you to learn how to use Blender3D. The basic tools are fairiy easy to work with, and seem easier from a beginner perspective than SimPE. I had a couple of read-throughs on an object tutorial before I started grasping it, and so far I've made some object conversions of my TS2 items. I haven't tried making CAS items for TS4, though.

Is it possible to mod Sims 2 with blender ? If i could make Sims 2 recolors and add transparency with blender then it may be helpful in modding Sims 4 later on.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 17th Feb 2019 at 5:50 PM
There is a plugin for working with anything with bones in Blender, which you'll need for clothes/accessories/hairs and animated meshes, but I haven't tried the plugin so I don't have any experience with it (I use Milkshape for assigning bones). You can make non-animated objects just fine in Blender (and most other meshing programs), but you need to use the proper settings for the OBJ exporter or you'll get errors.

You can make the mesh in Blender, but the actual transparency is made with transparent textures (or texture+alpha when recoloring in Bodyshop)and possibly some settings in the object (in SimPE or Sims4studio).

If you want to make meshes, it may be easier to make them in Blender once you've learned the program. Meshing in Milkshape is very awkward.

If you're not ready to make meshes yet, you could try to find a mesh you can work with in Bodyshop. Find something close enough in shape to what you want to make.